Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:15:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Childhood Really The Happiest Time of Your Life?

Started by Satchmo Distel, May 17, 2019, 02:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

I had a comparatively good upbringing compared to a lot of people I know, but I still think there's something a bit intrinsically miserable about childhood, at least in the modern age (I grew up in the 90s/2000s).  You're at school for most of it, for a start, and I actually spent more time at school per week than in any actual job I've had - from the age of about 11-16, it was getting up at 6am and walking to the train station to go to school until 6pm.  At that time, I had Saturday morning school too.  Couple that with the complete lack of control, no real agency or choice, obligation to adhere all "authority figures" (essentially anyone who was a bit older than you) and a constant pressure to succeed from the age of six onwards. 

That oft-romanticized "carefree independence" didn't really exist for us either, growing up first in a roughish area of South London.  You couldn't just go out and play, any time you wanted to see a friend or whatever you'd have to have a parent drive you.  I definitely found more happiness in my late teens/early 20s, despite all the stress of responsibility and inevitable associated drama.  Maybe it's a personality type, but I'd rather take beatings that I can take responsibility and/or control over than essentially having my life run for me in all directions, which is how I remember childhood.

Now I'm seeing it all over again with my stepson, who's 7.  Aside from having his rent and food covered, I can't envy him really.  I'm definitely not one of those adults who says to kids "these are the happiest days of your life, enjoy them while you can!", which seems spectacularly unhelpful and doesn't exactly inspire anyone to try and shape their future in any fulfilling way.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Best bit was 10-11, bossing Primary School with my slick comedy routine and wise cracking to the teachers. Harem of poon at my command. Wrote a play, wasn't even asked to, just did. Bossed it. Junior disco. Bossed it. Xmas Fayre. Bossed it. 5 a side footy. Bossed it. Ace Malagasy Republic references. Bossed it.

Secondary school - load of shite. Lossed it.

But then - dozens of dickhead parasites who made life hell leave school and go on to fulfil their destinies as aids victims, drug addicts and dog rapists

16-18 - Excellent stuff. Progress with girls, respect of peers, now to go wrong. Feel like some actual adults give a shit what you are as a person. The comment up thread about a sandbox is about right.

It's so different for everyone. I'd say 12-15 was the worst period of childhood.

Twit 2

One of my earliest memories is mum trying to kill me and my brother in a psychotic episode. Dragging us into the road in front of traffic, then getting sectioned. Not to mention the physical, verbal and psychological abuse.

Adulthood's not so bad...

St_Eddie

My neighbour when I was a kid, an elderly man named Reg, once told my 9 year old self "childhood is the happiest time of your life, so make the most of it".  I took his advice to heart and from that day onward, I did indeed relish every single day of my childhood.  Now that I'm in my thirties, I look back on those years with immense fondness and longing, for they were the halcyon days.

Twit 2

Bollocks, he climbed into your house at night and fucked you while you were sleeping.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 18, 2019, 08:57:54 AM
Bollocks, he climbed into your house at night and fucked you while you were sleeping.

No, that's simply not true.  I can assure you that I was wide awake every single time that he fucked me up the arse.  Vividly so.  Jolly old rapes aside, whilst Reg did hit me with his verbal wisdom, he was notorious for also hitting his wife with his fists.  Kind of took the shine off the philosophical musings of my guru, when I learnt that as a teenager.  The only shine remaining was on his poor wife's eye.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 17, 2019, 11:58:40 PM
One of my earliest memories is mum trying to kill me and my brother in a psychotic episode. Dragging us into the road in front of traffic, then getting sectioned. Not to mention the physical, verbal and psychological abuse.

Adulthood's not so bad...

I like how it's implied that your mum's sectioning happened almost immediately after that event, like she was instantly swiped by a couple of geezers in white jackets with a huge butterfly net, and taken directly to the necssary insitution
( Actually, I don't 'like' this horrifying incident at all, and am glad to read that you're a fairly happy adult).

St_Eddie