Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:41:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's a good, cheapish tablet to buy?

Started by Mister Six, May 17, 2019, 04:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

I want a tablet with a big screen for reading comics and websites - and that's it. Doesn't have to be fancy or run the latest games or anything. Big screen, small-as-possible price. Anyone got any recommendations?

Dr Rock

peanutbutter

Cant say how well they'd hold up as far as battery life goes now (or browser performance, potentially). But you can get a Nook HD+ for about 20 pound, 9inch HD screen (glossy so not much use outdoors).

Mister Six

Ooh Lenovo and Nook both look good. Some people have suggested Huawei but the US government might fuck me over there. We'll see. 10 should be fine - looks like that's about as big as tablets get.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Mister Six on May 17, 2019, 07:48:39 PM
Ooh Lenovo and Nook both look good. Some people have suggested Huawei but the US government might fuck me over there. We'll see. 10 should be fine - looks like that's about as big as tablets get.
As a sidenote, imo I'd prioritise weight a good deal. Nook HD+ is a great screen for the dirt cheap prices it goes for and I do use it for reading comics and the like, but it's too heavy imo so I mainly just use it as a third screen for my laptop. My next tablet is probably gonna be a Samsung 10 inch one for the AMOLED screen

A 9 inch with similar resolution to a 10 inch that's drastically lighter would probably be a more pleasant experience on the whole.

pigamus

I've got an Iota One. Bloody good for the price.

biggytitbo

I have no idea, could you paw a bit of perspex and use your imagination?

Mister Six

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 17, 2019, 09:22:13 PM
As a sidenote, imo I'd prioritise weight a good deal. Nook HD+ is a great screen for the dirt cheap prices it goes for and I do use it for reading comics and the like, but it's too heavy imo so I mainly just use it as a third screen for my laptop. My next tablet is probably gonna be a Samsung 10 inch one for the AMOLED screen

A 9 inch with similar resolution to a 10 inch that's drastically lighter would probably be a more pleasant experience on the whole.

Cheers. Maybe it'll make me a BIG STRONG MAN using it though.

Dex Sawash

I finally got full cyanogen (or whatever it is now) android loaded on my Nook hd+ recently. Had spent up to 15 minutes trying 5 or 6 times over the years and now it works. It is a nice tablet now but too heavy not sure there is  10" tablet that isn't too heavy. It may be more about leverage than actual mass.

8" Samsung Tab A is my go to tablet those are $120-$150 new. Last three phones are Samsung and I am accustomed to the samsung GUI (is that the "launcher"?)

Captain Z

Quote from: Bazooka on May 17, 2019, 11:56:29 AM
Paracetamol, pack of 12 for 45p.

Only came in here to check someone had done it.

Bazooka

Quote from: Captain Z on May 20, 2019, 12:59:54 AM

Still won't make it to the GUFFAAW thread........

But your acknowledgement will get me through the day.

boki

Quote from: Captain Z on May 20, 2019, 12:59:54 AM
If you mean GOT RIPPED OFF, they sure done done it.  29p packs aren't that hard to find, really.

Sin Agog

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 19, 2019, 01:08:16 PM
I finally got full cyanogen (or whatever it is now) android loaded on my Nook hd+ recently. Had spent up to 15 minutes trying 5 or 6 times over the years and now it works. It is a nice tablet now but too heavy not sure there is  10" tablet that isn't too heavy. It may be more about leverage than actual mass.

From a quick glance online, it looks like the battery is a problem with them (although you can buy replacements and fit them fairly easily, apparently).

mojo filters

10mg Valium. I guess you could probably get away with a yellow 5mg, if you're on a really tight budget.

Avoid the cheap 2mg altogether though. Too much of a false economy, you'd be better off waiting and saving up until you can afford something better - buy once, cry once etc.

Sebastian Cobb

You've got to be careful with buying benzos these days, too many jokers selling counterfeits with fentanyl in them.

Mister Six

Not that anyone cares, but I got a WeCool something or other for about 60 quid. It chugs a bit even loading Chrome, but for reading webpages and comics, and zooming in and out on pages and stuff it's fine. I've downloaded The Room 2 to see how games fare but not tried it yet. I assume it will burst into flames.