Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:11:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Man With Annoying Face Might Be New Batman

Started by Small Man Big Horse, May 17, 2019, 05:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Which may sound harsh but I just can't get over my dislike of the man, I hear he's improved as an actor now but the ten minutes of the first Twilight film that I saw was so bad that I think I'm going to struggle with his casting. https://news.avclub.com/robert-pattinson-is-now-batman-which-we-swear-is-not-a-1834829935

"Robert Pattinson is now Batman, which we swear is not a Twilight joke

Robert Pattinson has spent the last several years shedding the shadow of (semi-) nocturnal predators, moving away from his career-making role in the Twilight movies—a franchise he reportedly viewed with a not-inconsiderable amount of eye-rolling amusement, if not outright disdain—in favor of more challenging films like last year's Good Times and Claire Denis' recent High Life. (And also that movie where he got totally 9/11-ed.) But just because you let go of the bat don't mean the bat has let go of you, something confirmed this evening when Variety reported that Pattinson had stepped into the recently vacated cape and cowl of Warner Bros.' Batman films.

Specifically, R-Pats will star in Matt Reeves' The Batman, originally conceived as a directing and starring vehicle for Ben Affleck, before Affleck got terminally sick of all this Batman shit. There's no word yet on whether Pattinson is on the hook for any other Batman appearances—Warner Bros. appears to have been warned off of its MCU-lite ambitions in recent years, but you never know—or if they'll really try to blow Twilight fans minds by casting Kristen Stewart (who's also worked long and hard to put that particular series in her rearview) as his corresponding Selina Kyle.

Update: The plot thickens, slightly: Deadline reports that Pattinson is still merely on the short list to play the Caped Crusader, with potential X-Men refugee Nicholas Hoult still also in the running. Variety is usually pretty reliable when reporting stuff like this, but it sounds like there might still be some uncertainty over the new real-life identity of Martha Wayne's little boy. (Wait...your mother's name was Martha, too?!!)"

VelourSpirit

Feels like an inspired choice, I was expecting a Jon Hamm kind of man. Well, I wasn't really expecting anyone, I didn't know they were doing another new Batman. Always liked Pattinson though. He really is good.

Really enjoyed watching this talk with him and Claire Denis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD3N9ZsvU-A

madhair60

Quote"that movie where he got totally 9/11-ed"

Two of my friends were "totally 9/11-ed". I'm pretty surprised at the sheer callousness of this one.

Not like me to take offence, but that really is fucking shit. Not witty or funny enough to excuse that kind of insensitivity.

lebowskibukowski

A man with an annoying face was the last Batman as well, so at least they are consistent...

Uncle TechTip

A new Batman movie! I wonder what new themes the franchise will explore following the previous fifteen films.

Shaky

All Batmen have annoying faces without the cowl on. And Bale had really weird lips and chin with the mask on.

Urinal Cake

His face has little to do with it. It's hard imagining him as a broad, heavy physical presence meant to intimidate criminals.

I mean sure he'll bulk up but he'll need to put on like 20kgs.

Josef K

If you can stop associating him with Twilight, Pattinson is one of the best actors around right now. Shouldn't be any doubt about that after Good Time and High Life

Wet Blanket

I've never seen Twilight but he was great in Lost City of Z and High Life looks the bollocks.

I've always thought Nicholas Hoult was a bag of wham but he was good in the Favourite. He doesn't really have the jaw for it, but then neither did Michael Keaton

Dannyhood91

I like Robert. I get the impression he hates the Twilight films for than anyone and he played guitar on a Death Grips track so he can't be as bad as people think.

Phil_A

Quote from: Urinal Cake on May 17, 2019, 08:53:30 AM
His face has little to do with it. It's hard imagining him as a broad, heavy physical presence meant to intimidate criminals.

I mean sure he'll bulk up but he'll need to put on like 20kgs.

I don't see that he has to bulk up necessarily, just because the roided up Milleresque version of Batman has become the default image of the character in films.

My pitch for a Pattsbat would be something along the lines of a skinnier early forties style Batman, go for a full-on period film noir pastiche (closer to what the cartoons did as opposed to the Burton films).

Either that or goofy fifties sci-fi "Black Casebook" Batman (although that would definitely be a harder sell to the angry  fanboy crowd).

Shit Good Nose

Not seen any of the Twilight films, so my impression of Pattinson has only been formed based on everything he did after.  Yeah, not a bad actor at all.

Despite not being particularly precious about Batman, I don't have a problem with either Pattinson or Hoult.  I think Pattinson is perhaps more capable with the broodiness, whilst Hoult might bring a bit more heart to the role.

Probs end up being James Corden.

PlanktonSideburns

I think he's pretty good, watched all the twilight films last week, thought he did the best he could given the terrible writing his character gets, seems good in other stuff. He's getting quite a goulishness to his face, wich might suit batman well

That said, the chances of another batman film not being a total Ballache waste of time seems unlikely. The only version of a batman I want to see is one directed by lunatic rightwing trash bag director of brawl in cell block 99 and bone tomahawk. Joker could be some sort of caracature of a leftwing you tuber,  and bats could disembowel him in an abandoned garage

Dex Sawash

Batman should alway be an Adam, so maybe Adam Levine

lipsink

Christian Bale did an excellent job as Bruce Wayne. I just wish he hadn't done that slightly silly voice as Batman. He would've pretty much perfect other than that. If only they had thought of the distorted voice effect that Affleck's Batman had built into his suit.

BlodwynPig

Enough fucking Batman already

Is he Dr Who?

peanutbutter

Disappointing tbh, Pattinson was on a pretty cool run and becoming a bit of a distinct presence in the film industry. Kinda surprised he'd subject himself to a major franchise again considering how much he seemingly hated working on Twilight.

lipsink

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 17, 2019, 01:25:12 PM
Disappointing tbh, Pattinson was on a pretty cool run and becoming a bit of a distinct presence in the film industry. Kinda surprised he'd subject himself to a major franchise again considering how much he seemingly hated working on Twilight.

Bale still managed to do good work from Batman on though: Rescue Dawn, The Prestige, The Fighter, American Hustle,  The Big Short, Vice.
It doesn't mean Pattinson's great run has to end. Adam Driver is someone, for example, who has probably done his most acclaimed work since joining a big franchise (Star Wars).

St_Eddie

People I look like; Charles Manson, Ben Shapiro and now this cunt.

The unholy trinity.

Fuck.

St_Eddie

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 17, 2019, 01:25:12 PM
Kinda surprised he'd subject himself to a major franchise again considering how much he seemingly hated working on Twilight.

To be fair, there's a pretty big gap between Twilight and Batman, in terms of credibility.

Also $$$.  Cha-ching.

Replies From View

Why don't they have a Batman made out of an old Captain Kirk mask?  They did it for the Halloween series and this is roughly the same.

mothman

So it's gonna be a youthful emo Batman, then.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Phil_A on May 17, 2019, 12:32:47 PM
I don't see that he has to bulk up necessarily, just because the roided up Milleresque version of Batman has become the default image of the character in films.

My pitch for a Pattsbat would be something along the lines of a skinnier early forties style Batman, go for a full-on period film noir pastiche (closer to what the cartoons did as opposed to the Burton films).

Either that or goofy fifties sci-fi "Black Casebook" Batman (although that would definitely be a harder sell to the angry  fanboy crowd).
The other possible/acceptable scenario for fans is Batman Beyond where he doesn't have to bulk up since he's younger and relies more on his suit tech and gadgets.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on May 18, 2019, 01:18:17 AM
Why can't Batman just fuck off?

Batman "this", and Batman "that". Bloody Batman all the time.

Shaky

Just look at his chin and lips. Ridiculous.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shaky on May 18, 2019, 02:46:04 AM
Just look at his chin and lips. Ridiculous.

Does it really matter who "plays" batman - its a man in a costume, anyone can do it.

Oh, and that looks ridiculous - a grown man in a bat costume that looks like a doberman. Fucking grow up Bruce.

Glebe

I've only actually seen Patterson in a couple of the Harry Potter movies. He has the brooding look and a Batman jaw... it's the acting chops that matter, of course. Not sure I see Nicholas Hoult as Bats. Meanwhile...

The Batman's First Two Villains Have Reportedly Been Revealed.

Well Penguin has been rumoured for some time... of course if he appears alongside Catwoman everyone's gonna think Batman Returns, but it's obviously going to be quite a different movie to that so I wouldn't worry about comparisons.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Urinal Cake on May 18, 2019, 02:16:57 AM
The other possible/acceptable scenario for fans is Batman Beyond where he doesn't have to bulk up since he's younger and relies more on his suit tech and gadgets.

Warner Bros are chasing after that sweet Spider-Man: Homecoming moolah.  Oh, Warner Bros, will you never learn when it comes to your DC movies; we've already established that attempting to emulate the trendsetters at Marvel doesn't work out for you.  Be the originator of the document, not the xerox machine.