Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:08:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taylor Swift record with Panic at the Disco cunt

Started by madhair60, May 17, 2019, 12:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

she's worse than those Cthulhu monsters. she won't stop until she has total dominion over our planet and our souls.

alan nagsworth

Taylor Swift's music is cold shite and does nothing for me. Her last album was an embarrassment and this isn't much different. I just find her "persona" deplorable and tedious and her music is devoid of any emotion that's even identifiable in a "hey this is a solid pop song that I don't necessarily relate to as a 32 year old bloke but I still know it fucking bangs and that's why I love it" way.

Also the video for this song is a complete and utter monstrosity. Hideous crap. If you think humanising cats in this thing is going to score you any points I'm sorry but Carly Rae Best you to it. Buzz off. The only entertainment I got from any of this is comments section memes written entirely by daft 8 year old kids.

sevendaughters

purlieu

It's a proper "two notes, that'll do" bodge of a song.

Album's called Lover with a rainbowy cover, so the overbearing "opposite of Reputation" thing is in full force here. Just do a bloody album without having to put it in context of the media image of your previous record.

DukeDeMondo

I really like it. "You Need To Calm Down" I mean. The lyrics are a bit... a bit, just. But I still think it's really good. A lot better than "ME!"

lankyguy95

What an absolute heap of shit designed for maximum publicity to cover up the laziest, shittest pop fucking songwriting with the most insulting, irritating hooks and lyrics that make Ed Sheeran look like a gifted wordsmith (and lets not forget he once wrote the line ""I can make your tears fall down like the showers that are British).

These two songs make me wish there was no more colour.

DukeDeMondo

You're all being mad harsh. It's a good song. Good fun. Preferable to near enough anything off that last horrible album. Come on, now. It's not 1989 good but the sad truth of things is that she's never going to do anything that good ever again.

sevendaughters

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Icehaven

Lady Gaga's been doing it for years now, singing about being ''Born This Way'', what, a white, straight, attractive successful North American pop singer? They seem to try to identify themselves personally with their LGBTQ fans a lot more than older female pop stars adopted as gay icons (Madonna, Kylie etc.), which as alluded to above is hard to take uncynically when they're straight, and you can easily replace 'fans' with 'target market'. It's as if they're all trying to out gay rights each other.

Quote from: icehaven on June 18, 2019, 03:32:23 PM
Lady Gaga's been doing it for years now, singing about being ''Born This Way'', what, a white, straight, attractive successful North American pop singer? They seem to try to identify themselves personally with their LGBTQ fans a lot more than older female pop stars adopted as gay icons (Madonna, Kylie etc.), which as alluded to above is hard to take uncynically when they're straight, and you can easily replace 'fans' with 'target market'. It's as if they're all trying to out gay rights each other.

I'm all for pop stars and other mainstream figures sending out messages that it's fine to be LGBTQ+, no matter how calculated it is.

Icehaven

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on June 18, 2019, 03:49:29 PM
I'm all for pop stars and other mainstream figures sending out messages that it's fine to be LGBTQ+, no matter how calculated it is.

No of course that's alright, but it's when it starts to smack of appropriating a cause that you don't have personal experience of as if you do that it gets a bit dodgy.

The great irony of Taylor Swift is that for someone who built their brand off of making art that is ostensibly endearing personal and down-to-earth, she seems enormously calculated and robotic as an artistic personality. Every gesture feels incredibly rehearsed, and not in a way that suggests intriguing artifice, but rather an empty faux-casualness. She writes occasionally great pop tunes but they all have frozen blood   

Twed

Quote from: icehaven on June 18, 2019, 04:03:25 PM
No of course that's alright, but it's when it starts to smack of appropriating a cause that you don't have personal experience of as if you do that it gets a bit dodgy.
And it's basically the same thing as hideous corporate gay rights pandering. Companies calling themselves "allies" for marketing. It's fucking pukeworthy and fit for the desolation thread, despite all the rainbows.

(Happy to say that this opinion is beige enough that even Radio 4 has talked about it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005tpk?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_radio_4&ns_linkname=radio_and_music&ns_source=twitter)

purlieu

Lady Gaga's been doing it for years now, singing about being ''Born This Way'', what, a white, straight, attractive successful North American pop singer?
To be fair, she came out as bisexual years before Born This Way was released.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 18, 2019, 04:13:40 PM
The great irony of Taylor Swift is that for someone who built their brand off of making art that is ostensibly endearing personal and down-to-earth, she seems enormously calculated and robotic as an artistic personality. Every gesture feels incredibly rehearsed, and not in a way that suggests intriguing artifice, but rather an empty faux-casualness. She writes occasionally great pop tunes but they all have frozen blood

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it turned out she was just a cgi creation by the music industry.

chveik

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 18, 2019, 04:13:40 PM

yes I've always thought she was a reptilian.

sevendaughters

thing is I was aware of Taylor Swift when she was a country-pop sweetheart in the Next Leann Rimes mould so her volte-face into sassy-streetsmartisms felt like the phoniest shit in the world. it's fine, I don't expect authenticity in Big Pop, but I am surprised how many people gave her a pass on that.

Sebastian Cobb

https://entertainment.theonion.com/taylor-swift-inspires-teen-to-come-out-as-straight-woma-1835591597

madhair60

update: Taylor has patched the SPELLING IS FUN! bit out of the song. Sensible Taylor.

DukeDeMondo

What do we think of Lover, then?

First listen I was both relieved and disappointed. Relieved that it wasn't Reputation 2, disappointed that it wasn't 1989 Again. I liked it in bursts here and there, but really it was way too long and too one-note for too long at a time. That's what I thought, first listen on Friday morning. Very few of the songs leapt out at me. It was just a thing going on in both of my ears for what felt like weeks on end. I didn't connect with much of it at all.

By the third listen, I was in love with at least half of it.

"You Need To Calm Down" I liked from the off, but what about "Paper Rings" for fuck sake? You only think you know a banger. I adore the shimmering, hazy sort of air that hangs about "Cornelia Street," too. Sounds like she's still trying to catch up with E.MO.TION, but whatever. "Soon You'll Get Better" might be a bit maudlin for some, but I think it's a lovely, human Old Taylor throwback that caught me totally unawares.

"The Archer" is fucking gorgeous also. Utterly beautiful.

Lot of stuff to love on there. But. Lot of old truck too. Stuff that just sits there. Just sits there waiting for you to do something. Shake it off.

sevendaughters

Cornelia Street sounds like every other song playing at my hairdressers whenever I go in. I-V-VI-IV. Staccato verses. Opens up. Melancholy but plastic. Sorry. I do NOT get it.

Twed

Makes aging millennials feel young

Does nobody else think that Taylor Swift looks like Trump, if Trump were a young woman in good shape?

mrpupkin

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on August 28, 2019, 03:23:52 PM
What do we think of Lover, then?

Poisonous shite made by one of the biggest cunts in the world

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: mrpupkin on August 28, 2019, 08:10:34 PM
Poisonous shite made by one of the biggest cunts in the world

Poisonous! Lord above.

lazyhour

Do please listen to her track London Boy if you like the idea of cringing yourself inside out.

Edit: https://youtu.be/UO0N7j9yI10

sevendaughters

as cynical as Sheeran's Galway Girl or any of Ryan Adams' ones about New York.

chveik

Quote from: Twed on August 28, 2019, 04:12:38 PM
Does nobody else think that Taylor Swift looks like Trump, if Trump were a young woman in good shape?

agreed. the same pig-like eyes

Jerzy Bondov

My mate was on at me to listen to this and wanted a full on conversation so I only went and made notes didn't I. I'm pretty over Swift but I think this album has some good bits:

These are just my thoughts from one listen. My favourite Taylor album is Red.

I forgot you existed
  Kind of over this sort of thing from her. Not enough song. Please no more rapping. Has its moments and I like the way it peters out at the end.

Cruel Summer
  This is good. Synths and vocoders. Sounds like it could have been on 1989. Proper song. Goes a bit Out of the Woods towards the end.

Lover
  Nice slow jam, bit of a throwback. Transparent play for the lucrative wedding first dance market.

The Man
  Very 1989 - like it could have been a bonus track for Japan or something. What's it about? Society has a different attitude towards women compared to men? Ground breaking.

The Archer
  I like her going back to Speak Now era fairy tale imagery with the lyrics. Like the sound of this a lot. Would have liked if it had a bit more of a crescendo as it builds so well.

I Think He Knows
  Honestly can't stand her rapping style. This is the sort of thing I was expecting based on the first track. But it does get better as it goes. Very fine line between annoying and good pop. Can't decide if it's alright or if I fucking hate it.

Miss Americana
  Serious mode. Going to say something about fame.  Not really arsed with this generally but I like the percussion on the chorus.

Paper Rings
  This going up on the end of lines needs to stop. But I like the chorus. Another one that's on the line between annoying and very good. Overall this is a good one.

Cornelia Street
  Slow jam, bit like The Archer. Not as interesting sounding as that one. Sounds like an album closer but we're not even halfway through. This album is long. Like this song though.

Death by a thousand cuts
  Woodblock. I like the mad Meat Loaf piano. This is really good. Favourite so far. Good lyrics as well. Very nice.

London Boy
  Haha this is funny. Doing that up on ends of lines tic again. Christ these lyrics man.

Soon you'll get better
  Yes, a banjo! Country Swift is back. Could the Dixie Chicks have had more to do than just the harmonies? Maybe they're playing instruments? I don't know if they do. Anyway I like this.

False God
  Wasn't fussed until the sax came in. Wasn't expecting that. Not much to it though.

You Need to Calm Down
  You need to stop rapping. What's this accent she's doing now? Does it on the first track as well. Not a fan. Chorus is alright. Sort of a more cheerful Bad Blood.

Afterglow
  I like how many slow jams are on here but this isn't one of the best. Mind you the songs like this on 1989 didn't grab me at first but now they're my favourites on that one.

ME!
I quite like this song despite myself. I like the Panic at the Disco guy's voice and I think the song steps up a notch when he comes in. There's yet another bit where she goes up at the end of each line. I guess this is just what she does now.

It's Nice to have a friend
  I struggle with steel drums. It's a nice enough little song but kind of just washed over me. Next.

Daylight
  I love a good album closer. This is a good album closer, an optimistic ending. The layered vocals are cool sounding. Little bit of talking at the end which I like.

Overall I thought this was a good album but not up there with 1989 or the Holy Trinity of Fearless, Speak Now and Red.

Spotify put Red on immediately after and straight away it's way better. Way more tunes. I also don't really see why you'd listen to this when CARLY BAE is out here. But there are some good sounding songs and a few I want to go back to. It's clear I don't like the tic where she goes up at the end of each line, usually while rapping. Seems to happen on at least half the songs. Fuck that off.

FAVES:
CRUEL SUMMER
LOVER
DEATH BY A THOUSAND CUTS