Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:41:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

THE WORST SONGS EVER (REVISITED)

Started by dr_christian_troy, May 17, 2019, 03:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Geeoooorrrggge Baker Selection! Una Paloma Blanca!

dr beat

pigamus

Bit surprised at the Vanessa Williams hate. Seems a nice enough song to me. I'd take that over Adele's bellowing any day of the week.

Cerys

QuoteTHE WORST SONGS EVER
QuoteWe Wanna Be Famous - Buster Gobsmack Eats Filth

BLASPHEMY.

Dex Sawash

walking in Memphis by giant wankstain

DrGreggles

NurseNugent

Googie the Liverpool Duck. I remember being to sing and dance  along to this as children's parties when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9OMQ43EWWQ

NattyDread 2

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 17, 2019, 04:51:32 PM
Also perhaps "Pass the Dutchie" by Musical Youth which, although it has a certain nostalgic charm these days, was at the time held in similar contempt to "There's no-one quite like Grandma" by us teenagers.

Who were wrong as fuck. It's a decent stab at a reggae classic and still holds up. Probably the least shite tune I've seen mentioned in this thread.

Nae offence

DrGreggles

Heard it for the first time in years at an 80s night recently.
Sounded really good to me and it was out of place amongst most of the ironic/cheesy stuff that got played that night.

ZoyzaSorris

Tra-la-la, tra-la, tra-a-la
La, tra-la-la, tra-la, tra-a-la
La, tra-la-la, tra-la, tra-a-la
La, tra-la-la, tra-la

In your snatch fits pleasure...

In your hoof lies the heartland
Where we tent for our treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux, it's all in your eyes

Fucks sake.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: DistressedArea link=topic=73228.msg3834819#msg3834819

Also, sexshuality by Billy Bragg.
/quote]

The Sean Connery Remix ?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ No idea how I managed to do that .

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 17, 2019, 06:34:17 PMLMGTFY since I'm bored. vanessa williams, she of 'ugly betty' fame, iirc. "save the best for last".

Oh I knew what it was called, I just didn't want to dignify it with its proper name... plus I was listing it by the bit that makes my blood boil the most.

However I had no idea that the perpetrator was also in Ugly Betty (as well as Desperate Housewives AND she was that early-80s beauty queen who had her title rescinded due to early nude photos) so I've learnt something.

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 17, 2019, 06:34:17 PMprobably is a DX7 on there. it usually is when someone wanted a rhodes in the 80s & the real one was too heavy for them to be arsed with, or too hard to play because it's a real piano & not some plasticky piece of shit.

Absolutely.  I remember the first time I ever got my hands on a Rhodes, at Rod Argent's IIRC, being surprised at just how heavy the action was.

Lovely .GIF, btw, thank you.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on May 17, 2019, 11:07:06 PM
Who were wrong as fuck. It's a decent stab at a reggae classic and still holds up. Probably the least shite tune I've seen mentioned in this thread.

Nae offence

None taken, you and DrGreggles are probably right.  I must confess the last time I heard it I was pleasantly surprised too... I just find it difficult to shake off the negative associations, that's all.

And of course snobby teenagers are often as wrong as fuck!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Could I nominate Rise by Gabrielle? I often wondered why it sounded a bit off to me, and somebody who worked with sequencers on computers told me. The sample of Knockin On Heaven's Door is only played on one track or whatever the term is, instead of being played twice at the same time, to ease the transition. That's why at the end of the sample loop it sounds all syncopated and stuttery. Just listen to it.

I want to see her lazy eye.

non capisco

I am absolutely heartbroken that 'Gym' by Dave Neurotic, Young Zeus and The Duffinator is apparently no longer online. It may only now survive as a collective echo, soon to be wiped clean by the sands of time and the degradation of all human memory. Those who were fortunate enough to experience 'Gym' by Dave Neurotic, Young Zeus and The Duffinator should savour whatever flickers of reminiscence their brains can conjure. They will be mere ersatz shadow plays but we must cling to them nonetheless, like a starving abandoned dog dreaming of marrow. Busting weights. With my mates. My heart beats in high rates. See you in magic, boys, wherever you are.

non capisco

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I want to see her lazy eye.
ARRRRGGGGH

CMON FUCK A GUY

buzby

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 17, 2019, 06:34:17 PM
LMGTFY since I'm bored. vanessa williams, she of 'ugly betty' fame, iirc. "save the best for last". probably is a DX7 on there. it usually is when someone wanted a rhodes in the 80s & the real one was too heavy for them to be arsed with, or too hard to play because it's a real piano & not some plasticky piece of shit.
There is a real string section and guitar on there ,but the bass, electric piano and flute likely all came from a Yamaha TX816 (which as I'm sure you know ,was a rackmount chassis that housed 8 modules, each of which containing a miniaturised DX7, that could be controlled separately as an 8-part multi-timbral DX7  or multiple modules could be slaved together via MIDI to thicken the sounds). The producer of the track, Keith Thomas,  was keen on them and also used his previously on Amy Grant's Baby Baby.

The  fretless bass sound in particular sounds like it's using more than one module, as it's a lot 'fatter' than the example on Take My Breath Away.

Glebe

Quote from: dr beat link=topic=73228.msg3834668#msg3834668 date=15581 look08680
Ah yes, that's right: anything by Toyah

GET OUT!

Glad to see 'No Way No Way' on the list. Good work, Dr. Troy!

imitationleather

Quote from: non capisco on May 18, 2019, 09:38:05 PM
I am absolutely heartbroken that 'Gym' by Dave Neurotic, Young Zeus and The Duffinator is apparently no longer online. It may only now survive as a collective echo, soon to be wiped clean by the sands of time and the degradation of all human memory. Those who were fortunate enough to experience 'Gym' by Dave Neurotic, Young Zeus and The Duffinator should savour whatever flickers of reminiscence their brains can conjure. They will be mere ersatz shadow plays but we must cling to them nonetheless, like a starving abandoned dog dreaming of marrow. Busting weights. With my mates. My heart beats in high rates. See you in magic, boys, wherever you are.

Oh what?! Surely this cannot be true.

Glebe

Quote from: NurseNugent on May 17, 2019, 10:11:56 PM
Googie the Liverpool Duck. I remember being to sing and dance  along to this as children's parties when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9OMQ43EWWQ

That is fucking fantastic! Where has Googie been all my life? Official CaB mascot from now on or gtfo.

buzby

Quote from: Glebe on May 19, 2019, 04:42:13 AM
That is fucking fantastic! Where has Googie been all my life? Official CaB mascot from now on or gtfo.
A regular on Billy Butler's Radio Merseyside playlist in the 1980s. Penny Page and Googi used to sometimes appear on his show (and Hold your Plums) live too. She was the wife of Wales/North West singing 'legend' David Alexander (another Billy Butler/Monty Lister Radio Merseyside regular), and used to be his support act. Her full story is on her page on David Alexander's website

She also recorded a cover of The Birdie Song. Her act features on a Granada special featuring acts from the 1986 Liverpool Music & Comedy Festival here

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: non capisco on May 18, 2019, 09:38:05 PM

As others have said, the audio is still up but it's just not the same without the cheap, poorly exposed video footage to go along with it.

The Giggling Bean

I will defend Scatman John til my dying breath and was disappointed to see Scatman's World on there. That song (and Scatman ski ba bop ba do bop) came out just as I was doing my exams in 5th form. I left school and went to college afterwards so Scatman John has always been the soundtrack of my independence. Also it's a cracking tune which uses Pachalbels Cannon in D minor very well. I love its upbeat positivity and I blast that (and Scatman) out on Karaoke whenever I get the chance. It's a song/artist that means a great deal to me. I associate him with the best time of my life.

Also I got to talk to him on the phone before he died and he was lovely, scat sang for me and everything.

I go into more about why I love the guy and his music on my tribute video on YouTube.

imitationleather

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on May 20, 2019, 12:12:14 PM
I will defend Scatman John til my dying breath and was disappointed to see Scatman's World on there. That song (and Scatman ski ba bop ba do bop) came out just as I was doing my exams in 5th form. I left school and went to college afterwards so Scatman John has always been the soundtrack of my independence. Also it's a cracking tune which uses Pachalbels Cannon in D minor very well. I love its upbeat positivity and I blast that (and Scatman) out on Karaoke whenever I get the chance.

Also I got to talk to him on the phone before he died and he was lovely, scat sang for me and everything.

I go into more about why I love the guy and his music on my tribute video on YouTube.

The message of peace and tolerance despite our differences contained within the lyrics of Scatman's World would be a tonic in today's society.