Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:25:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Goodnight Punpun

Started by The Boston Crab, May 18, 2019, 02:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Has anyone read this manga? It makes me feel twenty again. It's incredible. So sad and full of truth and bullshit and yearning and fleeting ecstasy and uncertainty. I've not finished it yet but this is one of the best things I've read in years. Like a more base, introverted Murakami in tone. Truly wonderful.

samadriel

I bought book 1. Let's see how right you are!

Danger Man

I shall buy this as I currently have more money than I know what to do with.

If it turns out to be the mangalic equivalent of Animal Collective then somebody is going to get slapped legs.

I should say that it's the later books which make me feel twenty again, similar life outlook in some ways, bad attitude towards relationships, but it's great from the start.

Danger Man

£17 fucking quid a pop???

OK, I've bought volume one. Let's see how this goes.

Twit 2

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 18, 2019, 02:53:42 PM
Has anyone read this manga? It makes me feel twenty again. It's incredible. So sad and full of truth and bullshit and yearning and fleeting ecstasy and uncertainty. I've not finished it yet but this is one of the best things I've read in years. Like a more base, introverted Murakami in tone. Truly wonderful.

Comics are for kids, mate.

chveik

Twit 2

Drawing women with big tits? Something a teenager would do?

samadriel

Chriddof

I knew I should have posted Chris Ware's wiki page.

Danger Man

Only read chapter one so far.

Starts off very Japanese-by-the-numbers with a shy boy at school but the plot ramps up 20 pages in.

Twed

A girl who has broken my heart repeatedly and whose heart I have repeatedly broken compared me to Punpun and gifted me the first volume. I think I need to heal before I read it, but I did read some out loud to her last weekend, before what at this point I can only describe as ANOTHER ENTRY IN THIS HUGE CYCLE OF PAIN.

It made me feel heartbreak again, maybe that's another reason it made me feel so young. I haven't been heartbroken in years and years but it sure makes life intense. Apologies if that's patronising at this point in time but it's true. Many of my burning memories are either from intense love affairs, fantasies of love affairs to come, crushing heartbreak and desperate yearning or emerging triumphant into a new phase of life. Goodnight Punpun has all of that.

Twed

That sounds very appealing and relatable to me. I will read it in 2045 because it will definitely kill me.

Dr Rock

Smarties make me naughty

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteHas anyone read this manga?

Haram m888888888888

Quote from: Twed on June 22, 2019, 11:33:40 PM
A girl who has broken my heart repeatedly and whose heart I have repeatedly broken compared me to Punpun and gifted me the first volume. I think I need to heal before I read it, but I did read some out loud to her last weekend, before what at this point I can only describe as ANOTHER ENTRY IN THIS HUGE CYCLE OF PAIN.

Genuinely curious; is it possible to read aloud a comic to someone in an effective manner? Did you just read out the speech bubbles (and put on silly voices when you did) or did you describe each facial expression and each china-delicate nuance of every image with colorful evocative language?

Twed

No it was an abject failure.

And now Punpun makes a face which conveys every simultaneous emotion you could imagine feeling in such a situation.

Twed

Sin Agog

This is so good.  I can find something to relate to on practically every page, even the sadder, scummier moments you usually wouldn't give voice to.  Ta for starting this thread.  It evens out all that weird 'I discovered the coronavirus' swaggerjacking.

Abnormal Palm

No worries. Great to hear you're enjoying it. 👍

Dewt

chveik

I read the lot in two days. it's really good