Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:05:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Legion - Series 3

Started by Chairman Yang, May 18, 2019, 04:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Yang

It's back! The covers album that comes with a free TV show.

A trailer for the curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Vl1fuGn1A

Staking out a claim on the thread so I don't forget to watch it like... err four fifths of its audience.

phantom_power

Regardless of how good it is, it is going to be great to look at

Puce Moment

If this gets good reviews I may persevere with season 2, which even for me became too directionless and random.

I feel like this would be a wonderful film, but I do find it incredibly hard to stay with this as a TV series. And I say that as someone who has watched Twin Peaks season 3 twice.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 21, 2019, 01:39:22 PM
but I do find it incredibly hard to stay with this as a TV series

I found S1 a bit tricky and stopped there. Nothing bad about it, just couldn't follow it. Hasn't happened to me before with tv. 

phantom_power

I thought season 1 was fucking amazing. Season 2 had its moments but was a bit too unshackled by convention. Hopefully they have learned from that and, along with having to end the story, give it more focus

Puce Moment

Quote from: phantom_power on May 21, 2019, 02:45:31 PMI thought season 1 was fucking amazing. Season 2 had its moments but was a bit too unshackled by convention. Hopefully they have learned from that and, along with having to end the story, give it more focus

That's pretty much how I felt. I found it extremely hard to give a toss about characters in season 2 because it all seemed to be made up as they went along. I know it isn't, but that's how it came across to me.

Small Man Big Horse

So the third and final season of this starts in the US tonight and I'm greatly looking forward to it. I know some critics had some issues with how the last one ended (with the AV Club particularly furious) and I had certain issues at the time but since then it's grown on me, and I have no issue with David going all evil and shitty. I'm certainly looking forward to how it'll all end, and would have no issue if he destroys humanity, we do deserve it after all.

Oh, and just for the record, here's the previous threads:
Season 1 - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,58287.0.html
Season 2 - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,66299.0.html

kittens

enjoyed both seasons when i watched them recently. very happy to be on board to watch this un week by week. my prediction is that, much like both other seasons, it will start strongly then become less and less good but still better than just o.k.

Small Man Big Horse

Perhaps I'm easily pleased but I liked this a lot, it was a bit predictable in places (whenever Kerry got killed it was clear that they were going to do a bit of time travelling once again) but the story was fun and I like the new character Switch a lot. This season's back to being only eight episodes so hopefully it'll move at a brisk pace, and I'm intrigued as to how it will end.

Vitalstatistix

That was a lot of fun! A better episode than any from Season 2, for my money. Plus I love time travel shenanigans.

Maybe it was my mood, but the whole thing felt very sexy and sensual too. Definitely enthusiastically back on board this groovy train, me.

Alberon

I'm still not happy that the Shadow King is allowed to walk around free. He might not be ending the world but he is still one seriously evil bastard.

But the opening episode is great. Can't wait to watch the next one tonight.

phantom_power

Quote from: Alberon on July 02, 2019, 03:23:04 PM
I'm still not happy that the Shadow King is allowed to walk around free. He might not be ending the world but he is still one seriously evil bastard.

But the opening episode is great. Can't wait to watch the next one tonight.

He has brainwashed Division 3. He will get his.

I thought that was pretty great. Season 1 great. The audacity of not only having a song so prominent in a scene but to have the band act out some sort of music video as a transition to David's cult camp is astonishing. Switch is an interesting new character with an intriguing new power and potential consequences (the demon)

I was dreading this a bit as Season 2 was such a mess after the wonderful season 1 but it seems to be back on track. And even a messy Legion is great to look at

Vitalstatistix

My pathetic sieve-like brain had actually forgotten the whole 'our protagonist is a rapist' thing last season threw at us, probably because of how bored I was.

I appreciated how Sydney didn't buy into David's prevaricating, self-justifying, self-pitying nonsense in this second episode. "You drugged me and had sex with me. [...] it's who you are."

I mean, shit. I've never read the comics and know nothing at all about this character outside of this TV show; I guess he's just going to continue on a Breaking Bad-esque path into supervillainy. But if not, it's going to be pretty much impossible to satisfyingly redeem this fuck.

phantom_power

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on July 05, 2019, 03:33:29 AM
My pathetic sieve-like brain had actually forgotten the whole 'our protagonist is a rapist' thing last season threw at us, probably because of how bored I was.

I can't remember the specifics of what happened but is it substantially different to what happened between Willow and Tara when the former made the latter forget a fight they had so they could kiss and make up?

Small Man Big Horse

I was a bit bored by the latest episode, I hope it sets up an appearance by an older Professor X later on in the series, but otherwise it was a bit dragged out and could have been covered in half the time.

Alberon

Yeah, that one was a bit dull, but the latest is much better. Fucking brutal in places though I really liked the design and executions of the Blue Meanies and the photograph realm which harked back to art films like La Jetée.

Chairman Yang

This show looks real good, but boy howdy do I not give a single hoot about the outcome. I mean it's definitely going to meander towards something vague and trippy and I'm not really here for it...

Nothing else on, though.

Vitalstatistix

It's indeed a load of old twaddle, but those time monsters were a very cool visual design and creepy as hell.

phantom_power

It is just an amazing looking series, with fantastic music as well. What other series would have Rolling Stones, Captain Sensible, The Beta Band and a cover of an REM album track in the space of two episodes? And the original music is great as well. I love that ominous, over-bearing parping horn section.

I do enjoy the plot while at the same time not particularly caring about the characters, apart from possibly the Loudermilks

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on July 19, 2019, 10:36:16 AM
It is just an amazing looking series, with fantastic music as well. What other series would have Rolling Stones, Captain Sensible, The Beta Band and a cover of an REM album track in the space of two episodes? And the original music is great as well. I love that ominous, over-bearing parping horn section.

I do enjoy the plot while at the same time not particularly caring about the characters, apart from possibly the Loudermilks

That's my problem with it too, I enjoy watching it and visually it's often stunning, but bar the Loudermilks I don't really care for any of the characters.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 21, 2019, 04:02:10 PM
That's my problem with it too, I enjoy watching it and visually it's often stunning, but bar the Loudermilks I don't really care for any of the characters.

Okay, it turns out I care for Lenny and scarface* too, but that's it. An episode like this is frustrating as the show constantly reminds us that time travel can reset everything, and given the number of deaths presumably it's going to at least partially work, so it's hard to feel anything when someone does die. I really hope that Hawley pulls it off and gives us an amazing final three episodes, and I can then go back and rewatch the season knowing it'll be worth it, but right now I'm still not convinced it will be.

*I know, I know, but I can't be arsed to look up his name.

phantom_power

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 23, 2019, 11:30:15 PM
Okay, it turns out I care for Lenny and scarface* too, but that's it. An episode like this is frustrating as the show constantly reminds us that time travel can reset everything, and given the number of deaths presumably it's going to at least partially work, so it's hard to feel anything when someone does die. I really hope that Hawley pulls it off and gives us an amazing final three episodes, and I can then go back and rewatch the season knowing it'll be worth it, but right now I'm still not convinced it will be.

*I know, I know, but I can't be arsed to look up his name.

I think they are doing enough with the idea that going back in time can't fix everything to suggest that things won't just get reset. Syd saying to David "will it hurt to get deleted?" or whatever was particularly poignant.

And it turns out I was wrong. I do care about these characters. Clark getting spaced was brutal but not as brutal as his boyfriend having his long term memory wiped. Syd getting her mind trapped in David's body by his Legion was pretty terrifying as well. On the whole another great episode. So far I think this season is much better than 2 and possibly as good as 1. There is a hell of a lot of work to do to get to a satisfying resolution though, but I have faith now that Hawley can manage it

Small Man Big Horse

Gah, I don't want to complain each week as this is a show that I've loved in the past, and often still like a great deal, but with only three (and now two) episodes to go it was way too slow paced for me and felt rather filler-ish. Plus it wasted a great cast too, with Jason Mantzoukas especially on top form but his character felt a little underwritten and never that menacing.

Chairman Yang

Hah, I've been biting my tongue every week for the same reason: I'll let people have their fill, it's obviously not for me...

There was so much energy and life to the first series and now I'm sat here outwardly cringing at the show. Wrap it up, pals.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Chairman Yang on July 30, 2019, 06:29:43 PM
Hah, I've been biting my tongue every week for the same reason: I'll let people have their fill, it's obviously not for me...

There was so much energy and life to the first series and now I'm sat here outwardly cringing at the show. Wrap it up, pals.

There's been aspects I've liked, but yeah, it's not a patch on the first season. That said - I finally liked an episode, and thought it was pretty great last week! And now I feel my opinion on the series as a whole will completely depend on how everything is wrapped up on Monday night, and I've no idea if they'll manage to make it satisfying or not.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 11, 2019, 03:51:09 PMAnd now I feel my opinion on the series as a whole will completely depend on how everything is wrapped up on Monday night, and I've no idea if they'll manage to make it satisfying or not.

And they almost sort of maybe did. It wasn't quite the ending I'd hoped for but it could have been worse, I guess. Hmmmm. Shall have to mull this over, but right now I'm not in the place where I was when Lost / Dexter / Batterstar Galactica ended at least, but at the same time it's nowhere near my favourite series finales either.

Alberon

No, not a great finale, but not one where the production team comprehesively fucked up either.

Farouk committed some pretty evil acts last season so I'm not sure I quite buy the redemption there caused by decades in David's mind, but there were clear differences between past-Farouk and Future-Farouk in this episode. The David we've been following had clearly passed the point of redemption personally, but managed to avoid destroying the world thanks to the Deus-ex-machina of Switch.

She's the one who ultimately saved the world. So why was she there? Was she initially not there, until her father put her in the right time and place? There was talk throughout the season that her father built robots and hints that she might be one herself.

Stuff to think about. The series never fully delivered on its potential, but I'm glad something as original as that could exist.

Small Man Big Horse

Yeah I'm not buying the sudden redemption of Farouk either, he's been shady as fuck nearly the whole time so why a quick chat with Charles would see him realise his horrendous effect on David doesn't add up to me. And I'm with you when it comes to Switch too, they really needed to develop the character more and explain her blind devotion to David, at least when she wasn't hanging about with Syd and co.

Quote from: Alberon on August 13, 2019, 05:36:42 PM
Stuff to think about. The series never fully delivered on its potential, but I'm glad something as original as that could exist.

I absolutely agree with you there, and it's a rare example where I wish it had been a bit longer, perhaps four seasons could have meant it felt more satisfactory, at least if Hawley addressed the various issues we have.

Chairman Yang

I could rant about the total amorality of the show but I've been checked out for weeks.

See, I imagined Hawley was being clever: giving us the comic book, cop-out ending as some sort of anti-moral... "A magic ghost won't save you in the real world! Just leave your ex alone!" but then it has the gall to play its girl power shit straight after treating the women as accessories to the men's story for three years.

So... fuck knows?