Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:09:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Webcam

Started by aboutlastnight, March 12, 2005, 07:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I didn't know whether or not to post it in the techy thread, but can anyone recommend a good webcam?
I currently own a PC Line cheapo one I bought from Dixon's, and it's cack...

surreal

get an Eyetoy for the Playstation, you can find PC drivers on the web - sure someone will have a link.  I've seen comparisons and the quality is pretty good compared to normal PC cams....

DON'T get the Philips Toucam 820, I am returning mine, and it is shite.

Labian Quest

I've got a Trust webcam which was one of the first to have a USB 2.0 connection,so you get higher quality pictures than the USB 1.0 ones, though then again, you'll have to make sure that your motherboard supports USB 2.0 and that your internet connection is fast enough to take advantage of it. As far as reviews go, I would check out the user reviews on Amazon.

A Passing Turk Slipper

What are the point of webcams? I don't mean that in a nasty way but what is the main actual use of them? Is it just in chatrooms and stuff? I really can't see the attraction of them, why not just get a digital camera for the same price which you can take lovely pictures on and stuff?

Des Nilsen

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"What are the point of webcams? I don't mean that in a nasty way but what is the main actual use of them? Is it just in chatrooms and stuff? I really can't see the attraction of them, why not just get a digital camera for the same price which you can take lovely pictures on and stuff?

Heh, I've noticed that if I actually turn mine on whilst chatting I get requests to view it. I grant them and when they see I'm not a woman or nude they bugger off. I don't know why I bothered to turn it on really, aside from being able to smile at a friend or a stranger. People don't go in for smiles online. It's all cocks and fannies.

-

Labian Quest

Dunno really, I never use mine, though I bought it intending to use it as a security camera for my gaff.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"What are the point of webcams? I don't mean that in a nasty way but what is the main actual use of them? Is it just in chatrooms and stuff? I really can't see the attraction of them, why not just get a digital camera for the same price which you can take lovely pictures on and stuff?
Several reasons:

1. To chat with far-flung friends and relatives (e.g. my parents 240 miles away or my best friend in Italy).

2. As a security thing so that you can nick people who steal your computer (see that recent BBC story).

3. But mainly so that people can perve at each other, whether on MSN, Yahoo or Paltalk.  And contrary to popular (and Des') belief, some people DO chat to each other's faces rather than their floppy bits.  Sometimes.

chand

Digital cameras are more expensive than webcams. My webcam is fine for it's purpose and it's worth like £30.

Anyway, I use my webcam for talking on the web, which you can't do with a digital camera. I get see my distant love interest actually moving in real time and shit.

falafel

Quote from: "chand"
Anyway, I use my webcam for talking on the web, which you can't do with a digital camera.

Yes you can.

On the other hand, I have a webcam and not a digital camera, just like you, and it is good for just chatting to people face to face. Makes it more like a conversation and less like two people exchanging text messages.

Mine is buggered, all I get is a green screen.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Fair enough, I don't really have use for one myself but I can see that it would be nice to able to see your girlfriend or whatever live rather than just seeing text on a screen.

Quote from: "Labian Quest"I've got a Trust webcam which was one of the first to have a USB 2.0 connection,so you get higher quality pictures than the USB 1.0 ones, though then again, you'll have to make sure that your motherboard supports USB 2.0 and that your internet connection is fast enough to take advantage of it. As far as reviews go, I would check out the user reviews on Amazon.

My cam is this one

Your is this one?

What criterion confirms your one is def better? Sorry to be awkward... just that the resolutions are the same... is it down to the fact the sensor types are different? The PCL one is Colour CMOS, the Trust one is VGA CMOS... this is too techy for my little mind!
Just that I want to be sure I buy a cam and it is definitely better than the one I have anyway... I mean I really have never been impressed with the standard of my one!

Timmay

One is USB 1.0 and the other is USB 2.0. 2 is higher than 1, so it must be better.

Isn't 2.0 just going to make it faster? What aboutthe actual image quality and brightness?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If you have a TV card and a camcorder you can use them for webcamming, or you  can send the telly signal to whoever you're talking to.