Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:27:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

help identify a television show for me

Started by sevendaughters, May 19, 2019, 04:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

- late 80s/early 90s
- feel certain it was Channel 4
- may have been a one-off show
- I think it was comedy though I was young so I took it as real
- the joke was that it was a game show where 4 homeless people could compete to win a house
- the end reveal was that no one won (i think)
- continuity announcer had to announce that it was a joke, the show was not presented as such

thanks

neveragain

This really rings a bell.

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Game_Show_Spoofs

I think it might be the second one down under Political Spoofs.

sevendaughters

Quote from: neveragain on May 19, 2019, 04:21:26 PM
This really rings a bell.

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Game_Show_Spoofs

I think it might be the second one down under Political Spoofs.

Yes, that's it. Come on Down and Out. Can't find anything about it, save this.

QuoteTen years ago Channel 4 was condemned for broadcasting a game show for homeless people, Come On Down And Out.

The programme, presented by Andrew O'Connor, gave homeless people the chance to win a "superb, fully equipped modern home".

Games included "build the bash", in which contestants had to make a shelter from wood, plastic and cardboard against the clock.

That's definitely it.

Chriddof

There was a really good article by one of the blokes behind TV Cream which partially covered this (the full thing was about Channel 4 in general), but unfortunately it seems to have vanished off the web. From what I recall the show was produced in association with a homeless charity; it was a deliberately shocking attempt to bring focus on that issue. It ended up backfiring somewhat as it was trailed as if it were a real show, and I think they had to admit it was fake before broadcast as there was such an outcry over it.

That newspaper quote (which I can't help but notice very snidely pretends the show was real) mentions Andrew O'Connor as the host, which he did in a very late 80s / early 90s comedy game show host persona with a glittery gold suit and all. I think it was Annabel Croft, who was mainly known to the public at that point as being in the final series of Treasure Hunt (other than being a tennis player), who played the part of an also typically 80s / 90s game show hostess.

Head Gardener

sorry to hijack the thread, but on the same subject does anyone know which show this clip is from?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Head Gardener on September 02, 2019, 08:09:49 PM
sorry to hijack the thread, but on the same subject does anyone know which show this clip is from?

Fucking hell, hope thats a genuine Evil Japanese Beadle show

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Pseudopath

Oh yeah...these are the mad buggers who did that dinosaur prank, aren't they? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxQSwwTRqU

Bennett Brauer

None of those will have been staged - Japanese TV just isn't that sort of player.

Shaky

These make Men Behind The Sun look like Noel's House Party.

Sebastian Cobb

I remember seeing on Tarrant on TV decades ago, so it could be bullshit, there was some Japanese show where the premise is you're given a car to evade the police in for half an hour or so; if you manage it, you keep the car, if you don't you get jailed as a car thief.