Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:33:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Life and Times of Vivienne Vyle

Started by Edmonds, May 19, 2019, 05:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edmonds

It'd be great if the BBC could broadcast this at the moment. They'd do it if they had any teeth.

Is anyone else a fan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aamT-oYpRw

jsgibble

I'm not sure they even repeated it at the time. It was panned critically and didn't have a great deal in the way of viewing figures so there's really no reason to show it again. It wouldn't be worth the repeat fee

the

I never saw it, but Barry Admin was always full of praise for it at the time of transmission. Whether this was due more to the commentary/satire aspect of it than the comedy, I'm can't remember.

I think the point Edmonds is making re. repeating it is that it would be a timely opportunity to redisplay some satire on a cynical format that's currently under the spotlight. That clip even depicts some of the techniques that TJKS has been accused of employing (ie. riling up the guests with accusations before they go on stage).

I'd say it'd be worth it for topicality's sake (and maybe even as a cheeky 'fuck you ITV' morality offensive).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: jsgibble on May 19, 2019, 11:07:07 PM
I'm not sure they even repeated it at the time. It was panned critically and didn't have a great deal in the way of viewing figures so there's really no reason to show it again. It wouldn't be worth the repeat fee

You're missing the point. Repeating it now would accentuate the demise of The Jeremy Kyle Show, which is currently headline news. No, of course the BBC aren't going to repeat an obscure sitcom just to make that point, but Vivienne Vyle is a great piece of genuinely angry satire.

EDIT: As the just explained. Sorry, I should've done my research.

PlanktonSideburns

never heard of this before, saunders looks great in this

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Edmonds on May 19, 2019, 05:07:23 PM
It'd be great if the BBC could broadcast this at the moment. They'd do it if they had any teeth.

They should repeat the heart-warming Kilroy as well to rub ITV's noses in it.

jsgibble

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 20, 2019, 12:27:29 AM
You're missing the point. Repeating it now would accentuate the demise of The Jeremy Kyle Show, which is currently headline news. No, of course the BBC aren't going to repeat an obscure sitcom just to make that point, but Vivienne Vyle is a great piece of genuinely angry satire.

EDIT: As the just explained. Sorry, I should've done my research.

Yeah you're right, it would. I didn't know people rated it though, I might have to give it another look

Quote from: the on May 19, 2019, 11:29:29 PM
I never saw it, but Barry Admin was always full of praise for it at the time of transmission.

Bennett Brauer