Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 756
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:57:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Xbox 'Classic' Games

Started by The Boston Crab, May 19, 2019, 06:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I just got Xbox OutRun 2 working on my modded 360. One hell of a game. It's so fast and smooth and gorgeous and the music is as good as anything. I can't believe how good it feels. OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast also seems excellent.

What other games on the OG Xbox are worth playing?

I barely ever even touched one way back when. I thought it was polyps tier.

St_Eddie

Well, Outrun 2 is high up on the list, so that's a good start.  Otherwise, out of the games that I've played on the original Xbrick, I would recommend...

* Beyond Good and Evil
* Conker: Live and Reloaded
* Jet Set Radio Future
* Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
* Panzer Dragoon Orta
* Project Gotham Racing 2
* Psychonauts
* Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
* Thief: Deadly Shadows

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Fahrenheit (also known as Indigo Prophecy) Same people that did Heavy Rain. Goes stupid as fuck towards the end, but still worth a playthrough.
Beyond Good And Evil
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - adventure type thing.
Splinter Cell games
Doom 3
Jade Empire
Fatal Frame 1+2
Dead Or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball

madhair60

Shoulders?-Stomach!

biggytitbo

Outrun 2 is indeed brilliant

- Black
- Second sight
- Psi ops the Mindgate Conspiracy
- Tomb raider legend/anniversary
- Darkwatch
- area 51
- destroy all humans
- burnout 3
- everything or nothing (best James bond game ever)
- XIII
- timesplitters future perfect.

Cheers guys but all of these games are shet :(

Edit: Just messing, I'll get on the case. I've got some on the XB1X via backwards compatibility but plenty of these are new to me and look great. I'll report back in time.

Sebastian Cobb

If you mod a 360 can it do all the emulation the og xbox could do?

'cos aside from running xbmc I mostly used mine for playing toejam and earl and megacd cyberpunk adventure snatcher.

St_Eddie

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Highly unlikely to get much agreement on this but the deeply disappointing and limited Fable is still an incredibly charming and fun game with a fluid natural feeling combat mechanic that actually doesn't make you want to piss blood.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

They did a remake of Fable for the 360, so that's probably the better one to get. Totally pony game, mind.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 19, 2019, 09:35:25 PM
They did a remake of Fable for the 360, so that's probably the better one to get.

Indeed.  There are a few decent Xbox games which I purposefully didn't include in my list of recommended titles, simply by virtue of there being superior versions available for other platforms (for example, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind).

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 19, 2019, 09:35:25 PM
Totally pony game, mind.

Aye, I too found Fable to be gubbins.  I purchased a copy for my Xbox when it first came out, played it for a few hours and then promptly traded it in.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I just found it all to be horribly twee and corny. Farting at people as a valid form of communication? What are you Molyneux, 8 years old?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm going to get:

Panzer Dragoon Orta
Burnout 3
Jade Empire
Fatal Frame 1&2
Crimson Skies
KOTOR (though I don't much care for SW, it's legendary)
Morrowind (I adore Skyrim and loved what I played of Oblivion).

Been hammering both OutRun 2 and OutRun 2006 C2C this evening. I don't quite understand what the latter is because it seems to have been released later than OutRun 2 and contains the same courses, plus another fifteen different ones, but the graphics are worse, though it runs a bit more smoothly and it has more of the flourishes like the girl getting a wide on when you do a drift.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 19, 2019, 09:58:29 PM
Been hammering both OutRun 2 and OutRun 2006 C2C this evening. I don't quite understand what the latter is because it seems to have been released later than OutRun 2 and contains the same courses, plus another fifteen different ones, but the graphics are worse, though it runs a bit more smoothly and it has more of the flourishes like the girl getting a wide on when you do a drift.

OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast is simply an expanded version of Outrun 2.  Think of it as Outrun 2 with a bunch of DLC on top.  It's not meant to be viewed as a separate game, as such.  There's no need to play both versions, just stick with Coast 2 Coast.  I don't know why the graphics would look worse.  That must be an Xbox thing.  I own it for PC and it looks absolutely gorgeous and certainly no worse than I remember Outrun 2 looking.

KOTOR (though I don't much care for SW, it's legendary)

Aye, Knights of the Old Republic is fantastic.  You definitely don't need to be some kind of Star Wars nut to enjoy it.  It's a little slow to get going but stick with it because it's more than worthy of its accolade as one of the greatest RPGs of all time.  If you ever decide to play the sequel, then absolutely DO NOT play the Xbox version.  The game was notoriously unfinished and downright broken upon release.  However, there's a brilliant restoration mod for the PC version, which restores a great deal of the cut content and fixes countless bugs and glitches.

Morrowind (I adore Skyrim and loved what I played of Oblivion).

I honestly would highly recommend playing Morrowind on PC, possibly with the addition of the rather lovely graphical upgrade mods which are available.  It's really a game designed to be played with a keyboard and mouse.

Cheers, mate. To be honest, I don't have a PC and it doesn't suit my setup to bother getting one but I'll keep that in mind for if I ever do. Certainly there's a million shmups I could play, I just can't be doing with playing at a desk or anything. I'm a console pleb through and through.

OutRun 2 standalone is definitely better looking than the C2C version of the tracks. They're different, basically. They're super smooth but the textures and backgrounds are less detailed. It just means that I'll play the SP tracks via C2C and the original tracks via the standalone original.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 19, 2019, 10:44:58 PM
Cheers, mate. To be honest, I don't have a PC and it doesn't suit my setup to bother getting one but I'll keep that in mind for if I ever do. Certainly there's a million shmups I could play, I just can't be doing with playing at a desk or anything. I'm a console pleb through and through.

Ah, okay.  Fair do's.  Still though, I wouldn't bother with the sequel to Knights of the Old Republic on the Xbox.  It's fundamentally broken.  That was how I first played it back in the day and even back then, before the news came out about how it was rushed to release, I could tell that something was seriously wrong.  Not least of all because I didn't even get an ending cutscene when I completed it.  I killed the last boss and then the credits immediately kicked in.

It's a shame that you're not a PC gamer and unable to play the restored version because the story is fantastic and it features the single greatest character from all of Star Wars lore (Kreia).  Mind you, the first game features possibly the second greatest character from off of Star Wars lore; HK-47.  You're gonna love that guy.  I guarantee it.

Bazooka

Jade Empire is awful, as a fellow human, I beg you not to play it.

When Morrowind and Knights of The Old Republic exist, playing Jade Empire is the equivalent to watching Ghostbusters and then watching the reboot version.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 19, 2019, 09:55:28 PM
I just found it all to be horribly twee and corny. Farting at people as a valid form of communication? What are you Molyneux, 8 years old?

So very, very true.  "Twee" is a great way to describe Fable.  It actively annoyed me for the few hours that I played it.  That and the British country bumpkin voices.

Quote from: Bazooka on May 20, 2019, 12:38:34 AM

When Morrowind and Knights of The Old Republic exist, playing Jade Empire is the equivalent to watching Ghostbusters and then watching the reboot version.

Agreed.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bazooka on May 20, 2019, 12:38:34 AM

I liked it well enough.

Anyway, every great original xbox title has been mentioned, all i'd say is ESSENTIAL is:

Knights of the Old Republic
Halo: Combat Evolved
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords*
XIII
and
Beyond Good and Evil.

Interesting to see THREE Ubisoft games on the list, back when Ubisoft used to make very interesting, entertaining and engaging games. Remember that?

*yes, its broken and unfinished but its still fucking incredible and superior to the first in almost every way because Obsidian are the tits.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on May 20, 2019, 03:27:27 AM

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords*

*yes, its broken and unfinished but its still fucking incredible superior to the first in almost every way because Obsidian are the tits.

Oh, come on now.  You can't just hand-wave away the fact that it's a broken and unfinished mess.  It's kinda important that a game not be broken and unfinished, you know?  My original experience with the game on Xbox resulted in me having to start over from the beginning after 3 hours of playtime because of a game breaking bug and ended with me not getting any kind of ending cutscene because of another bug.  In between those two events were countless other bugs, glitches and broken quests.  There were also a shit ton of empty rooms (I mean literal empty rooms - just a featureless square boxes) and desolate areas which were blatantly devoid of their intended content.

Yes, the story is great and the content that is there is excellent (when it works as intended) but the first game is objectively superior because it's an actual game, not what is essentially a beta build.

bgmnts

I mean they had around 3 hours to make the game so what they did in that time is incredible. I think even unfinished as it is, it still is slightly better than the first one, at least more mature and ambitious.

Bioware make very same-y games with archetypal 'rag tag group' plots and characters, thats partly why I like them, ut's comfort gaming.

Obsidian took the concept and spun it on its head, everything is darker, more complex and interesting. Not even just in terms of games, i'd say KOTOR II has some of the best characters in the entire canon (or whatever disney call it).

I have an intense love for it though, like Fallout New Vegas. Obsidian Entertainment can do no wrong in my eyes.

Although I will admit to not experiencing many bugs with the game.  Only when playing it on Xbox 360 as a backwards compatible. So i'm fortunate.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on May 20, 2019, 04:37:58 AM
I mean they had around 3 hours to make the game so what they did in that time is incredible. I think even unfinished as it is, it still is slightly better than the first one, at least more mature and ambitious.

I mean, yes, this is true enough but the behind the scenes troubles shouldn't have an impact on one's critical appraisal of the game itself.  It's not Obsidian Entertainment's fault that the game is a broken and unfinished mess but it's still a broken and unfinished mess.

Quote from: bgmnts on May 20, 2019, 04:37:58 AMBioware make very same-y games with archetypal 'rag tag group' plots and characters, thats partly why I like them, ut's comfort gaming.

I think that you're underselling Knight's of the Old Republic with this comment to be honest.

Quote from: bgmnts on May 20, 2019, 04:37:58 AMObsidian took the concept and spun it on its head, everything is darker, more complex and interesting. Not even just in terms of games, i'd say KOTOR II has some of the best characters in the entire canon (or whatever disney call it).

Agreed.

Quote from: bgmnts on May 20, 2019, 04:37:58 AMObsidian Entertainment can do no wrong in my eyes.

I can tell.

Quote from: bgmnts on May 20, 2019, 04:37:58 AMAlthough I will admit to not experiencing many bugs with the game.  Only when playing it on Xbox 360 as a backwards compatible. So i'm fortunate.

Yes, yes you are.

bgmnts

No no I love Knights of the Old Republic to bits, and i think for the time it was groundbreaking (the twistis still something that would blow one's mind). But i'm pretty sure Bioware used their template with Baldurs Gate not long before  so I don't know. I think I prefer it darker and more complicated.

St_Eddie

Gah!  For the love of everything PLEASE remove that spoiler from your post.  The Boston Crab hasn't played it yet!

Quote from: bgmnts on May 20, 2019, 04:55:13 AM
I think I prefer it darker and more complicated.

I feel much the same way but that's related the narrative and characters, not the core gameplay itself, which is why I took exception to your comment of the sequel being "superior to the first in almost every way".

OK, I'll tick that one off the list, then.

I actually don't mind because I'm so disinterested in SW that I wouldn't have been in any rush to play it ahead of the arcadey games I'm looking forward to.

Genuinely laughed at the brazenness of the spoiler, though.

bgmnts

Big apologies for the spoilers, i've played it literally 10+ times, I forget people havent played it. Well worth a play anyway even if you aren't a huge fan of star wars.

When it comes to a roleplaying game I feel narrative, plot an cd characters are more important than in a game of another genre. Plus I actually feel the controls and combat is improved anyway, they added more to it.

Honestly, I don't mind at all, dude. When I read it, something in the back of my mind dinged, anyway. Sure I've read that before. It is a million years old now.

Bazooka

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 20, 2019, 06:27:57 AM
OK, I'll tick that one off the list, then.

I actually don't mind because I'm so disinterested in SW that I wouldn't have been in any rush to play it ahead of the arcadey games I'm looking forward to.

Genuinely laughed at the brazenness of the spoiler, though.

I don't care for star wars at all, yet love the majority of the games based on the series, KOTOR 1 & 2 are excellent RPG's.

Rallisport Challenge 2
Midtown Madness 3
Links 2004
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge

I'm not sure if any of those will actually work on the Xbox 360's emulator, but they are all ace.

It makes me quite sad to remember that Microsoft had this amazing roster of developers making games for them back when they were trying to break into the market, but then jettisoned them when they realised it was easier to just pay off the big third parties instead. The death of XSN to appease EA was shameful.