Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:36:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Xbox 'Classic' Games

Started by The Boston Crab, May 19, 2019, 06:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I actually got stopped this morning doing 91 in a 30 because I was listening to the OutRun 2 soundtrack on the way to work. The copper was going apeshit saying I'd vaporised a lollipop lady. Hard to tell when the Splash Wave guitar break kicks in and you throw your head back in ecstasy. I also did a six minute drift on a dual carriageway.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If you'd had the foresight to be driving in heart attack mode the copper might have let you off if you drove good enough, and might even have had sex with you.

madhair60

Halo
Burnout 3

That's it to be honest. Nothing else that's been suggested is worth even five minutes of your time.

Gotta be honest I'm thinking right now I might never play another game apart from OutRun 2.

Certainly Panzer Dragoon and Burnout are top of my list, though.

Oh, and Pirates! I had that on the Amiga maybe, been wanting to play it again for thirty years.

Bazooka

I assume you have played Silent Hill 2:, if not I can look up the nearest prison to hand yourself into, as its the best game of that era.

bgmnts

Silent Hill 2 is better on PS2 for me.

All this talk of classic xbox games has made me vow to get an xbone again when I return home. Gagging for some vintage gaming.

Sorry Silent Hill is paedo weeb shit

Edit: I'm too scared to play it, basically, but I'll get it, OK.

Quick updates:

OutRun Online Arcade for the 360 is an HDish version of the OutRun 2SP tracks from OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast, so that's the best option for them. OutRun 2 is the best option for the original OutRun 2 tracks because the textures are better and the lighting effects are prettier and bloomier and more dynamic. These games fuckin rule. SEGA were so so great in the arcade era

Panzer Dragoon Orta is decent but a bit hard to judge spatially. It almost seems like sprite scaling rather than true 3D. I'll probably give it some more time.

Burnout 3 is not very good next to OutRun 2. The handling is a bit sluggish and it's not especially fast, which surprises me.

Onimusha seems fairly interesting, like a hammy samurai take on Resi. I'll give it another go on a rainy day.

Pirates! is largely as I remember, probably more playable than I expected. The sense of wonder at sailing through the open waters of the Caribbean is sadly no longer there, though, which was the major appeal of the game.

Crimson Skies will be next, along with SH2 and the Fatal Frame games.

Whatever, though, really. OutRun 2 entirely justified the purchase of the internal HDD. Another colossal achievement to add to the most personally exciting time in gaming I can remember since the Switch launched.

lazarou

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 20, 2019, 11:06:14 PM
OutRun Online Arcade for the 360 is an HDish version of the OutRun 2SP tracks from OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast, so that's the best option for them. OutRun 2 is the best option for the original OutRun 2 tracks because the textures are better and the lighting effects are prettier and bloomier and more dynamic. These games fuckin rule. SEGA were so so great in the arcade era

Sadly OutRun Online Arcade is no longer an option for anyone unless they bought it already, as it was delisted from the xbox store years ago due to Sega's Ferrari licence expiring. And as it was digital only that's it gone forever for anyone who didn't buy it at the time.

madhair60

Burnout 3 is amazing, play Road Rage mode and feel that dick expand.

Outrun 2 is boss though, it is the absolute pig's tits. I once spent £89 on the cabinet in one day.

Yeah, that's true. If you've got an RGH or Jtagged 360, you can run it with no bother but it does still require a patch with the YarisSwap software or you can only use the trial version. Although that sounds awkward, it took me about twenty seconds to get the game, patch it and have it running.

If you've got a modded 360, it's a no brainer. Absolutely phenomenal game.

I'll give Burnout 3 another go, for sure. Unfortunately, my blagged copy is in French which I find really annoying despite speaking pretty fluent French. The NTSC-J ISO out there is a bad rip.

madhair60

I have a 360 and am Interested in Modding It.

I bought one already modded but I know there are a couple of good places in the UK which should appear at the top of the Google search results. Ultimately, I did it because I wanted to play the Japanese only Cave shit like original Mushihimesama HD, Ketsui X and Dodonpachi DaiOuJou Black Label Extra but also so I didn't have to constantly be swapping discs and stuff. Might flog all the discs I've bought, probably make a profit on Mushi Futari, to be honest.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 20, 2019, 11:06:14 PM

On that note, I recommend After Burner Climax, if you're able to find a copy.