Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:11:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This is not what you think this is.

Started by Delete Delete Delete, May 19, 2019, 08:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Take a look at this photo.

You might think this is a pot of Dolmio Smoke Bacon & Tomato stir in pasta sauce. You would be wrong. It is in fact if you read the ingredients Smokey Bacon, Onion & Tomato Stir In Sauce. In fact it contains 12% Onion and only 10% Smokey Bacon. I fucking hate Onion... This is going in the bin. Fuck you Dolmio and your mis-labelled product. While I'm it at fuck Pizza's that claim there a Meat Feast if they have Onion, Mushroom or Peppers on. Its a fucking meat feast, if it contains these thigns, its no longer a Meat Feast. 

BlodwynPig

Buelligan

Ehm.  I think it's pretty common for pasta sauces to contain onion, not wishing to be controversial or anything but if anything, smokey bacon would seem to be the interloper.  Guanciale or gtf.

How am I wrong, I said I hate Onions which is true, I didn't say you hate Onions.

Quote from: Buelligan on May 19, 2019, 08:28:57 PM
Ehm.  I think it's pretty common for pasta sauces to contain onion, not wishing to be controversial or anything but if anything, smokey bacon would seem to be the interloper.  Guanciale or gtf.
It is common, but also is Tomato, which they state on the front.

madhair60

Anyone who buys pre-packaged sauces has fucking given up, let's face it.

Buelligan

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on May 19, 2019, 08:31:38 PM
It is common, but also is Tomato, which they state on the front.

True.  It must be stated on the ingredients, maybe check the ingredients next time.

Forse sarà meglio quando gli inglesi alla fine lasceranno l'Europa.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: madhair60 on May 19, 2019, 08:36:07 PM
Anyone who buys pre-packaged sauces has fucking given up, let's face it.

This.

Sebastian Cobb

BTW if anyone fancies an argument, I reckon a carbonara is better if you chuck garlic in and leave it in after the bacon's cooked rather than frying a bit of it then removing it before cooking the bacon.

Buelligan

There is no garlic or bacon in carbonara.

Fact.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm just not going to bother acknowledging pancetta when pre cut lardons exist.

Buelligan

Guanciale.  Eggs.  Parmesan.  Pepper. 

So is this mis-labled? Is it no longer Carbonara if you add Bacon?

canadagoose

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on May 19, 2019, 08:46:19 PM

Serves five?! How much bloody pasta is in that thing?

Sebastian Cobb

Buelligan

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on May 19, 2019, 08:46:19 PM

Value Pack and Continental are probably untrue, the rest is bollocks.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on May 19, 2019, 08:45:39 PM
Guanciale.  Eggs.  Parmesan.  Pepper.

Look if you're going to tell me what to do with pasta, you'd be better off telling me what on earth I'm meant to do with this half bag of paccheri rather than how to cook a meal I only cook (and obviously botch) when I'm feeling quite lazy to begin with.

sevendaughters

finally triangulated Buelligan as every person who is screenshotted in Italians Getting Mad At Food

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 19, 2019, 08:41:18 PM
BTW if anyone fancies an argument, I reckon a carbonara is better if you chuck garlic in and leave it in after the bacon's cooked rather than frying a bit of it then removing it before cooking the bacon.

I chuck garlic in carbonara, and cream, which I believe would get me hung from the nearest lamppost in Italy. It's just a bit too stodgy without cream. Shit, I also put whole peppercorns in there.

imitationleather

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 19, 2019, 08:57:07 PM
finally triangulated Buelligan as every person who is screenshotted in Italians Getting Mad At Food

I've never watched one of those but I keep getting recommended one where they eat frozen pizza. My reaction is always "Fuck off with this bullshit! Frozen pizza is hugely popular in Italy. Fuck this shit that makes people believe this lie that Italians are somehow paragons of good taste who only ever eat freshly made amazing food. It's not true! Arrrrrrrgh!"

Buelligan

Heheh.  I know a fairly well-regarded Italian chef who eats frozen pizza.

On the stodgy carbonara thing, what are you doing?  You fry your guanciale until golden brown, yes?  You cook your pasta, yes?  You add your pasta to the guanciale, yes?  You add your egg/parmesan mix, yes?  Quickly toss, if dry, add a ladlefull or less of water from your pasta pan (this is how you control the viscosity of your sauce).

Sebastian Cobb

I'm sure someone even as perfect as you forgets sometimes forgets to tip some of their pasta water into a mug when they're draining it buellers.

Buelligan

How do you cook your pasta?

You have your boiling salted water in a pan, yes?  You have your pasta in the insert, yes?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on May 19, 2019, 09:24:48 PM
How do you cook your pasta?

You have your boiling salted water in a pan, yes?  You have your pasta in the insert, yes?

Judge stainless with draining built into the lid. They even have volume measurements running up the inside. Work on induction too. They can be put in an oven (although I've never done that 'cos I've got an actual cast iron casserole dish). They are a thing of beauty.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 19, 2019, 09:26:14 PM
Because I can. Adds a delightful peppery crunch, yes?

Schwartz are laughing at you