Author Topic: eBay and other online sellers  (Read 690 times)

thecuriousorange

• WELCOME THRILLHOU
eBay and other online sellers
« on: May 19, 2019, 10:47:53 PM »
I have an unwanted Amazon gift card (voucher) and I've listed it on eBay, as I'd rather just have the dosh. Now, the bids are exceeding the face value of the card and a load of people (scammers) are messaging me asking for the number that's printed on it. Unfortunately, for them, I am not an idiot. Who has experience of selling unwanted vouchers online? What's the safest way?

Re: eBay and other online sellers
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 11:08:31 PM »
I'll give you 50p for it.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 11:55:36 PM »
I have an unwanted Amazon gift card (voucher) and I've listed it on eBay, as I'd rather just have the dosh. Now, the bids are exceeding the face value of the card and a load of people (scammers) are messaging me asking for the number that's printed on it. Unfortunately, for them, I am not an idiot. Who has experience of selling unwanted vouchers online? What's the safest way?

I've done it in the past, the best way I found was listing it as a Buy It Now item a couple of quid under it's value (plus free p&p), so for instance I sold a £20 Pizza Hut gift card for £18, the postage was only 60p, and after ebay / paypal fees I made about £15 in total. There might be better ways, but this seemed to be the easiest.

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 01:26:32 PM »
I'd definitely sell it to someone whose bid has exceeded the face value.

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 12:35:57 PM »
I've heard of people doing chargebacks after buying game codes on EBay, be wary.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 01:52:47 PM »
I've done it in the past, the best way I found was listing it as a Buy It Now item a couple of quid under it's value (plus free p&p), so for instance I sold a £20 Pizza Hut gift card for £18, the postage was only 60p, and after ebay / paypal fees I made about £15 in total. There might be better ways, but this seemed to be the easiest.

Exactly this.  I think eBay themselves recommend never doing gift cards, vouchers and promo codes as auctions and never for face value or more than face value.

If it's one with a scratch-off panel and code, like the Amazon ones typically are, you could just send a photo of the code to the winner and save on the postage - that's what I've done with the (only) three that I've put on over the years (one for iTunes and two for Homebase - never use iTunes [in fact I actively avoid it like the plague], and we don't have a Homebase anywhere near us).

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 02:35:30 PM »
I tried to sell a phone on eBay, and not only did the guy say "I didn't read the description so want to return it", eBay sided with him, then still sided with him after he said "er, I bricked your phone, but I'm still going to return it and get a full refund". I feel like it's choked with scammers since Facebook Marketplace has become a thing, and I'm done with it.

Twed

• I need you so, Medieval Zone, you don't need me
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 03:31:07 PM »
Now, the bids are exceeding the face value of the card
Gift cards can be used to buy cryptocurrency for criminal purposes, so those might be legitimate bids. From criminals.