Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

eBay and other online sellers

Started by thecuriousorange, May 19, 2019, 10:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I have an unwanted Amazon gift card (voucher) and I've listed it on eBay, as I'd rather just have the dosh. Now, the bids are exceeding the face value of the card and a load of people (scammers) are messaging me asking for the number that's printed on it. Unfortunately, for them, I am not an idiot. Who has experience of selling unwanted vouchers online? What's the safest way?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 19, 2019, 10:47:53 PM
I have an unwanted Amazon gift card (voucher) and I've listed it on eBay, as I'd rather just have the dosh. Now, the bids are exceeding the face value of the card and a load of people (scammers) are messaging me asking for the number that's printed on it. Unfortunately, for them, I am not an idiot. Who has experience of selling unwanted vouchers online? What's the safest way?

I've done it in the past, the best way I found was listing it as a Buy It Now item a couple of quid under it's value (plus free p&p), so for instance I sold a £20 Pizza Hut gift card for £18, the postage was only 60p, and after ebay / paypal fees I made about £15 in total. There might be better ways, but this seemed to be the easiest.

Icehaven

I'd definitely sell it to someone whose bid has exceeded the face value.

I've heard of people doing chargebacks after buying game codes on EBay, be wary.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 19, 2019, 11:55:36 PM
I've done it in the past, the best way I found was listing it as a Buy It Now item a couple of quid under it's value (plus free p&p), so for instance I sold a £20 Pizza Hut gift card for £18, the postage was only 60p, and after ebay / paypal fees I made about £15 in total. There might be better ways, but this seemed to be the easiest.

Exactly this.  I think eBay themselves recommend never doing gift cards, vouchers and promo codes as auctions and never for face value or more than face value.

If it's one with a scratch-off panel and code, like the Amazon ones typically are, you could just send a photo of the code to the winner and save on the postage - that's what I've done with the (only) three that I've put on over the years (one for iTunes and two for Homebase - never use iTunes [in fact I actively avoid it like the plague], and we don't have a Homebase anywhere near us).

Famous Mortimer

I tried to sell a phone on eBay, and not only did the guy say "I didn't read the description so want to return it", eBay sided with him, then still sided with him after he said "er, I bricked your phone, but I'm still going to return it and get a full refund". I feel like it's choked with scammers since Facebook Marketplace has become a thing, and I'm done with it.

Twed

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 19, 2019, 10:47:53 PMNow, the bids are exceeding the face value of the card
Gift cards can be used to buy cryptocurrency for criminal purposes, so those might be legitimate bids. From criminals.