Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:39:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who first did that 'nooooooooo!' in slow motion that everyone copies?

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 20, 2019, 09:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

You know the one. Nooooooooooooo! It's 'homaged' so often but I can't remember what it's actually referencing.

Are there any other cliches where we can track back to the first use?

Shit Good Nose

The earliest slo-mo one I remember is Duke in Rocky 4 when Drago lands the death punch on Apollo, but there must have been one before that.

As it is, I suspect that the one that everyone copies now probably itself originates from a spoof or something - a lot of comedy directors fondly remember the death by steamroller scene in Austin Powers.

BlodwynPig

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 20, 2019, 10:03:28 PM
Singing in the Rain apparently

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SlowNo

Not sure if that really counts given it was accidental and only in the preview, so not many people would have seen it.

That says there's also one in Rocky 3 (also courtesy of Duke), which I didn't remember.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 20, 2019, 10:14:12 PM
Not sure if that really counts given it was accidental and only in the preview, so not many people would have seen it.

;)

Remember my pastiche of it in Minotaur: Infinity Boar

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss......

.....Iiiiiiiiiiii mmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnn......

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 20, 2019, 10:17:44 PM
;)

Remember my pastiche of it in Minotaur: Infinity Boar

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss......

.....Iiiiiiiiiiii mmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnn......

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Well that was going to be my next suggestion, of course.  Everyone remembers where they were when they first saw that scene.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 20, 2019, 10:14:12 PM

There's a film within the film in Singin in the Rain and at the preview screening (again, within the film) that has all sorts of sound problems - including running in slow motion for a no.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 20, 2019, 10:19:13 PM
Well that was going to be my next suggestion, of course.  Everyone remembers where they were when they first saw that scene.

In one of the two select cinemas that screened it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on May 20, 2019, 10:35:31 PM
There's a film within the film in Singin in the Rain and at the preview screening (again, within the film) that has all sorts of sound problems - including running in slow motion for a no.

Yes, you're right - haven't seen it for about 25 years or more.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 20, 2019, 10:36:27 PM
In one of the two select cinemas that screened it.

The queues to get in were literally ones of people deep, who had all been waiting for minutes.

BlodwynPig

It's fortunate you are friends with the Director/Producer/Best Boy/Key Grip and my HP printer was working that evening.

Shit Good Nose

I was also paid to go and see it.

Just to go and see it, mind, not to give it good word of mouth or anything.

Mark Kermode was particularly complimentary - "I saw this film" he said.

BlodwynPig

mothman

There's a slightly time-distorted "Nooo" in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) but I doubt it's the origin.

At 1:50 in this clip: https://youtu.be/mvDma4sG8Vg

studpuppet

It must be from an old war movie or a Peckinpah shoot-up. I can't imagine it being later than the 1960s.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Possibly a combination of Duke from the aforementioned Rocky films and Kirk in The Wrath of Khan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54

St_Eddie

greenman

Not slowmo but Luke's response to "you know it to be true" in Empire is an extended "noooooo" in an obviously very well remembered scene.

St_Eddie

Quote from: greenman on May 21, 2019, 06:34:36 AM
Not slowmo but Luke's response to "you know it to be true" in Empire is an extended "noooooo" in an obviously very well remembered scene.

A very often well misremembered scene.  It's not "Luke, I am your father", as a lot of people think.  It's "no, I am your father", or is it "moop, I am your carver"?  I forget.

Gregory Torso

Followed by Daz Vader turning to the camera and saying "you see, 'vader' sounds a bit like 'vater' which is German for 'father', right audience?" and he winks, which obviously you can't see but you know he's doing it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Gregory Torso on May 21, 2019, 07:53:13 AM
Followed by Daz Vader turning to the camera and saying "you see, 'vader' sounds a bit like 'vater' which is German for 'father', right audience?" and he winks, which obviously you can't see but you know he's doing it.

Vader; invader.  Sidious; insidious.  The rancor monster.  Salacious Crumb.  The fish peoples of Mon Calamari.

Fucking state of those names.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 21, 2019, 07:55:07 AM
Vader; invader.  Sidious; insidious.  The rancor monster.  Salacious Crumb.  The fish peoples of Mon Calamari.

Fucking state of those names.

Don't forget Elan Sleazebaggano!

samadriel

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 21, 2019, 07:47:46 AM
A very often well misremembered scene.  It's not "Luke, I am your father", as a lot of people think.  It's "no, I am your father", or is it "moop, I am your carver"?  I forget.

Its "no, I am your father", "thats not true, thats impossible" "search your feelings you know it to be true" "noooooooooooo nooooo"

Anakin/Vaders terrible "noooooooooo" referencing this in Revenge of the Sith is arguably what helped create the meme.

olliebean

It was definitely a thing that had already been parodied before Revenge of the Sith.

St_Eddie

Quote from: olliebean on May 21, 2019, 02:23:34 PM
It was definitely a thing that had already been parodied before Revenge of the Sith.

Yep.  Revenge of the Sith remains one of the best/worst examples of the trope though.  As does George Lucas' tinkering with the Blu-Ray version of Return of the Jedi, because so many people always wondered why Darth Vader turned on the Emperor.  An explanation at last!

greenman

Quote from: olliebean on May 21, 2019, 02:23:34 PM

Most of what I remember was parody of slowmo generally such as Naked Gun doing the Potemkin/Untouchables baby carriage on the stairs, Sith seemed to make "noooooooo" more specific.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth