Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Reading about episodes of Terry and June on Wikipedia

Started by dr beat, May 21, 2019, 01:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Terry_and_June_episodes#Series_One_(1979)

Thanks to Taylor Parkes I've just discovered the joys of this, written as they are like some kind of conceptual art.  Typical quote:

QuoteTerry's nephew, Alan (Roger Martin), arrives to stay for a few days as he is doing business in the area. He soon takes a large delivery of gorgonzola, much to Terry and June's annoyance. Alan gives them a cash and carry card, borrowed from his boss Humphries Belvedere. When Terry goes to collect the food June has bought, he is arrested by the Police who believe he is Humphries Belvedere. Thinking they are arresting him for using the cash and carry card under false pretences, Terry pretends he is Belvedere, until it turns out Belvedere is wanted for a series of robberies. June then arrives, not realising Terry's predicament and also says Terry is Belvedere. However, Terry soon realises and, with Alan's help, the Police do not charge Terry and June and let them go. Belvedere is later arrested and Alan is let off as he did not know about Belvedere's thefts.

I'm thinking a crowd-fund to get Parkes to do an audiobook of these, with, as he suggests, a bell tolling in the background.

gilbertharding

Holy shit - you just picked that one at random, and it's one I remember. Obviously I watched it most weeks - it was the 70s, there was fuck all else for a 9 year old to do on winter Tuesday evenings... but that's one I REMEMBER. Not every last detail (the cheese, cash and carry thing) but the identikit image of a man who looked exactly like Terry Scott was a joke I  (and my mum and dad) found deeply resonant - for ages afterwards whenever there was an identikit image on the news my mum would joke about it looking like dad (if it did).

There was another episode where they accidentally ended up in a banger race.

gilbertharding

a duncandisorderly

I spent ages a few weeks ago trying to remember the name of the damn parrot in 'terry & june', & being confounded in my efforts to look it up.

it was of course a mynah bird, & it was in the earlier 'happy ever after' which may or may not have been in the same universe as T&J.

'gungah din' was the name, anyway. I always wondered where they got that idea from.

Norton Canes

"When Tina then brings Magnus (Wayne Norman) her 12-year-old nephew round, and asks Terry to help him make a costume for the Church Fancy Dress Parade, June forces Terry to accept. Magnus wants to go as a pirate, but Terry insists on building a model of the Starship Enterprise that Magnus can get into"

Had to check that one out.

The Robot Grief Dog has nothing on this

BlodwynPig

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 21, 2019, 02:31:15 PM
I spent ages a few weeks ago trying to remember the name of the damn parrot in 'terry & june', & being confounded in my efforts to look it up.

it was of course a mynah bird, & it was in the earlier 'happy ever after' which may or may not have been in the same universe as T&J.

'gungah din' was the name, anyway. I always wondered where they got that idea from.

Polly

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 21, 2019, 02:04:53 PM
Holy shit - you just picked that one at random, and it's one I remember. Obviously I watched it most weeks - it was the 70s, there was fuck all else for a 9 year old to do on winter Tuesday evenings... but that's one I REMEMBER. Not every last detail (the cheese, cash and carry thing) but the identikit image of a man who looked exactly like Terry Scott was a joke I  (and my mum and dad) found deeply resonant - for ages afterwards whenever there was an identikit image on the news my mum would joke about it looking like dad (if it did).

Ah, that's a different one.  The one quoted in the OP is an episode from the second series, in 1980.  The one you're thinking of, with a police photofit of a Terry lookalike shown on television, is a 1985 episode, from the eighth series, and was itself a remake of a 1976 episode of Happy Ever After.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

gilbertharding

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on May 21, 2019, 02:44:38 PM
Ah, that's a different one.  The one quoted in the OP is an episode from the second series, in 1980.  The one you're thinking of, with a police photofit of a Terry lookalike shown on television, is a 1985 episode, from the eighth series, and was itself a remake of a 1976 episode of Happy Ever After.

OK thanks - I'd DEFINITELY found better things to do with my evenings by 1985 than watch Terry and June though - so I must have watched it in 1976, and am now remembering things from when I was 6 years old like a freak.

Bennett Brauer

Vague memories of them going to the wrong funeral. Might that have been the first time a comedy did that?

studpuppet

I love that you're talking about whether Happy Ever After is canon Terry & June like a bunch of Star Wars geeks.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: studpuppet on May 21, 2019, 04:24:37 PM
I love that you're talking about whether Happy Ever After is canon Terry & June like a bunch of Star Wars geeks.

the truth is, the original writers wanted to jack it in, & owned the rights to the name/format/scenario, but the BBC wanted more. so after six months off the air (probably less than usual), it came back as T&J, & they're in a different locale, with a different surname, no lucy, no gungah din.

I wish there'd been a sub-plot back-story about a witness protection plan or summat. T dobbed in a paedo ring or similar.
also if they had become the goods' neighbours on the other side from the ledbetters.

I think the BBC missed a trick there.

Bennett Brauer

"MEDFORD!  What's this Curly Wurly wrapper doing on my desk?"

It was a different time.

gilbertharding

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 21, 2019, 04:31:37 PM

...also if they had become the Goods' neighbours on the other side from the Leadbetters.

That would have been confusing, as Terry's boss (Sir Dennis Hodge) looked exactly the same as Jerry's boss (a man known only as 'Sir' by the Leadbetters and 'Andrew' by the Goods). Imagine if he were spotted by Terry and June arriving for one of those dinner parties at Margot and Jerry's... or if both couples invited him to dinner on the same evening - to impress some new clients, obviously.

Blumf

Is there some kind of 'teenagers reacts' video where some unsuspecting modern day teens are forced to watch an entire season of Terry & June?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 21, 2019, 04:59:25 PM
That would have been confusing, as Terry's boss (Sir Dennis Hodge) looked exactly the same as Jerry's boss (a man known only as 'Sir' by the Leadbetters and 'Andrew' by the Goods). Imagine if he were spotted by Terry and June arriving for one of those dinner parties at Margot and Jerry's... or if both couples invited him to dinner on the same evening - to impress some new clients, obviously.

he'd also been Tom's boss.... well, I'm sure they could've been evil twins.

Glebe

I think I've managed to watch the whole series on YouTube over the last few years. Gives a warm, nostalgic glow, and provides plenty of rip-offs inspiration for my macaques thread!

Dr Rock

I can remember the episode where Terry was obsessed with getting hold of an old 60s record. For ten points, name that tune.

Glebe

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 21, 2019, 07:06:15 PM
I can remember the episode where Terry was obsessed with getting hold of an old 60s record. For ten points, name that tune.

Is that the one where he finds an old recording of him and a friend or summit?

Dr Rock

I don't remember that bit, and have probably messed up the bit I do remember. I was only wee.

Absorb the anus burn

The Terry And June episode to watch is the one with the rabbit costume and the leaping Japanese businessmen.

Bennett Brauer

It was My Brother, in the episode 'Meta Medford'.

Glebe

Gulftastic

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 21, 2019, 02:33:56 PM
"When Tina then brings Magnus (Wayne Norman) her 12-year-old nephew round, and asks Terry to help him make a costume for the Church Fancy Dress Parade, June forces Terry to accept. Magnus wants to go as a pirate, but Terry insists on building a model of the Starship Enterprise that Magnus can get into"

Had to check that one out.

The Robot Grief Dog has nothing on this

Fuckin' hell. I remember that one. He is trying to get the kid to dress up as Mr Spock.

Dr Rock

OK I'll help with a Rockbuster. This is the artist or band.

'Look at them Chelsea players, they're down in the dumps, what's happened there?' -M.B.

Glebe

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 21, 2019, 07:21:36 PMFuckin' hell. I remember that one. He is trying to get the kid to dress up as Mr Spock.

And guess what... there's outtakes too!

That sounds like the episode from the last series of Happy Ever After in 1978 where he's looking for a copy of The Hut Sut Song, which was a record of a 1940s novelty song.

Dr Rock

Anyone remember the one where Terry was dancing at some disco, and suddenly rushes out of the dance hall?  When someone else asks him what is wrong, he says he saw himself in the mirrored wall.

Glebe

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 21, 2019, 09:11:39 PMAnyone remember the one where Terry was dancing at some disco, and suddenly rushes out of the dance hall?  When someone else asks him what is wrong, he says he saw himself in the mirrored wall.

That's 'Disco Fever'.