Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:35:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kingdom - South Korean Zombie Drama

Started by thraxx, May 21, 2019, 08:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thraxx

Anyone else watching this?

It's a period drama set in feudal Korea during a zombie outbreak.

It looks incredible, beautiful sets, costumes and cinematography.  It must have cost millions to make. Story is harder to know if it's any good as the subtitles don't appear to be that good; i.e. Man faced with zombie about to claw his face off says 'Scram!', which is quaint and funny I suppose but hits the wrong register.

This detracts from it but otherwise it's a proper extravaganza, often baffling due to the subtitling issues, but with excellent set pieces and shits all over most of the other zombie series out there at the moment.

Puce Moment

No but I am acquiring it now.

Did you see Black Summer?

thraxx

I loved Black Summer.  No frills, as smart as it needed to be, unerringly bleak.

It's been ages that I've seen something as compelling as Kingdom, the medieval Korean culture makes it so alien and absorbing, even compared to something like Westeros in Game of Thrones which is kind of based in Western traditions and regions.

It also reminds me of that Fighting Book 'Sword of the Samurai', with those fucking terrifying Robobo-Kubi undead floating head things that only come out at night.

Sin Agog

It's pretty much the only Korean thing I've seen on InternetFlicks that hasn't turned me off with loud, jarring 'feeeel this' music cues and twitchy editing.  It was also nice seeing a zombie thing not set in either an urban sprawl or some dingy park with a few scattered trees in Georgia (Walking Dead).

Artie Fufkin

I'm making a start on this tonight. I watched the first episode ages ago, but it didn't really grab me. However, recently I've heard from 3 people how good they think it is, so will give it another go.

maett

I believe they're currently filming a second season.

jobotic

How does the tall charming Norfolk based solicitor fit into it?

Artie Fufkin

surreal

Just bumping this as I got round to watching it this weekend - went through all the 12 episodes in 2 days and was surprised how much it pulled me in.  Doesn't seem like there will be a season 3 until next year but considering how short it was they managed to pack a lot in.  Plenty of intrigue and not overloaded with zombies but used very effectively when they did appear.  I did find it interesting to look at parallels with what is going on at the moment - plague caused by an infection, people not believing it until they see it for themselves, (end of S2 spoilers follow) cured by washing, chinese origin, suspect may have been done on purpose.

I thought the whole thing was really well done, struggled a bit to identify key characters at first as things move quickly with un-announced flashbacks, but the fight / battle set-pieces are terrific and the overall production standard is top notch.

Anyway, if you like a bit of zombie action with your political intrigue this is a good short watch.

bgmnts

Definitely need to start this up again.