Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:59:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tonsillitis

Started by popcorn, May 22, 2019, 09:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

I've got tonsillitis and it fucking CANES.

I've had it for a week and it CANES YET MORE each day.

My tonsils look like zombie marshmallows.

I've gargled so much salt water I'm gagging.

I can't sleep on account of how much swallowing fucking CANES.

I don't have anything to say I just want you to tell me about your tonsils arghhhhhhieeeee

poo

Better than a terminal illness though which would be much, much worse.

popcorn

Quote from: poo on May 22, 2019, 09:34:01 AM
Better than a terminal illness though which would be much, much worse.

Thanks this does help.

Chollis

Can't you just get rid of them

bgmnts

I've had a sore throat that is mildly irritating.

I have also had a tickly throat cough since I was a teenager so fuck it.

Blinder Data

I had it on and off for a few years and then it reached a peak of agony and discomfort. Thankfully they eventually got rid of them and the surgeon said it was the worst pair of tonsils she'd ever seen, which I'm very proud about.

popcorn, GET RID OF THEM. Just get them out. I have a (probably unfounded) belief that it's led to more sore throats for me but I was relieved I would never have to suffer tonsilitis again.

popcorn

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 22, 2019, 09:59:35 AM
popcorn, GET RID OF THEM. Just get them out.

I'm under the impression that this is only really worth it if you repeatedly get tonsillitis. Is that correct? This is my first case.

I've nothing to compare it to - I don't know if this is a severe or mild case - but it fucking blows. I wouldn't be surprised if no one in the world is suffering more than I am suffering presently.

Blinder Data

They will throw drugs at you for now. I had bouts of it for 2-3 years before they got the knives out.

Best of luck with the pain, it can be bloody terrible.

Norton Canes

Excuse to neck Co-codamol, get to it

bgmnts

Cocodamol does absolutely fuck all. Took them after my third consecutive ear infection and was still up at 4am close to tears in pain. Absolute cunt of a painkiller.

I reckon only morphine will do it for me.

Buelligan

I had it on and off for a few years and then it reached a peak of agony and discomfort. Thankfully they eventually got rid of them and the surgeon said it was the worst pair of tonsils she'd ever seen, which I'm very proud about.

popcorn, GET RID OF THEM. Just get them out. I have a (probably unfounded) belief that it's led to more sore throats for me but I was relieved I would never have to suffer tonsilitis again.

I'd never had it until I had to fight that dog last winter (and had to take antibiotics for my injuries, you should've seen the dog though).  Anyway, since then it's been back and again like a boring motherfucker.  I just ignore it now and hope it goes away.  Shit though, you have my sororal sympathies popcorn.

olliebean

You'd think. But the fuckers can grow back.

imitationleather

I've not had tonsillitis since I was a teenager. The last time it gave me such a fever that while watching Big Brother I began to hallucinate that I was living in the house.

Looking back that actually sounds quite fun. Dunno why I complained so much about it at the time.

popcorn

can't sleep, fucking throat on fire, agggghhhhhh

no fever though at least

but jeeeesus

Buelligan

Give someone a blow job, that's always supposed to help.  My doctor told me that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The cure and symptom relief, tablets of penicillin and paracetamol, to be taken several times a day is just cruel.

I had mild tonsillitis 3 weeks ago, shook it off in a week just before it became full blown.

The truly wretched part is coughing the horrible cysty things that grow on your tonsils off. Forget the name of those cunts. Rank.

Anyway, ice cream is the best cream

Gulftastic

Bane of my pre-teen years. It then graduated to Quinsy and I nearly died so, when I turned 12, they whipped 'em out.

Attila

Had'em hacked out when I was about 4. Throat still scarred up (whenever I get a cold, the inflamation settles nicely on the scars; I can really feel it when I drink orange juice).

Typical USA assembly-line surgery for the kiddies. The experience left me phobic about doctors and hospitals and haven't been to either in years, but it did get rid of the constant ear/throat infections and tonsillitis.

So swings and roundabouts, I suppose.

Emma Raducanu

I remember having severe tonsillitis about 5 years ago. It was awful; I was so fucking ill, I could barely sit up in the pharmacy waiting for my prescription.

Fair enough, the medication worked well but whenever I ate something, it tasted really weird. It put me off certain foods. I swore I'd never eat another Dr Oetker pizza and I haven't.

AliasTheCat

God yes, I had tonsillitis back in November and it's by far the worst I've ever felt. All painkillers were utterly ineffective and the only momentary relief I could get was from chugging chocolate milk. When I finally dragged myself to the NHS walk-in center after my third sleepless night I had a little cry in front of the triage nurse. You have my sympathy popcorn.

popcorn

Finally dragged myself to the doc. He said I had severe bacterial tonsillitis, said I was in danger of suffocating on my own ballooning throatflaps and put me on an intravenous drip. Sent home with a bucket of drugs. Supposed to take them with meals but the thought of ever eating anything again really does bring me close to suffocation.

popcorn

Some of these pills are like tiny dots. Atoms. You could scatter em with a sneeze.

sanchopanza

I feel your pain.  Had it at Easter.  If you get it again and the pain doesn't ease off after 4 days, book an emergency doctors appointment for penicillin as its probably bacterial.  Viral normally goes away after 3 to 4 days. The pain is unreal at times.... I was couch bound for a week.

Icehaven

If you sing Altered Images' 'Happy Birthday' but replace the words ''Happy Birthday'' with ''Tonsillitis'' that can be a cure.

Jasha

gargle with a fuzzy aspirin*

get some ice pops in yer•

*spit don't swallow

•mouth not asshole

imitationleather

Quote from: popcorn on May 23, 2019, 04:53:33 AM
Finally dragged myself to the doc. He said I had severe bacterial tonsillitis, said I was in danger of suffocating on my own ballooning throatflaps and put me on an intravenous drip. Sent home with a bucket of drugs. Supposed to take them with meals but the thought of ever eating anything again really does bring me close to suffocation.

Oh you were trying to ride it out without seeing a doctor? That was a poor idea. In my experience it doesn't go away on it's own, no matter how much of a real man you are and ignore it.

Glad you're getting it sorted out.

popcorn

Quote from: imitationleather on May 23, 2019, 02:40:32 PM
Oh you were trying to ride it out without seeing a doctor? That was a poor idea. In my experience it doesn't go away on it's own, no matter how much of a real man you are and ignore it.

Yeah, I was going by the NHS site which says it usually goes away on its own. But to be fair the NHS site does tell you to go to your GP if your tonsils resemble a pair of xenomorph eggs in a mayonnaise factory. Going to the doc is also complicated by the fact that I live in Japan and the accompanying boring bureaucratic problems.

Feel much much better now. I've got got a giant picnic basket of pills to take over the next week. Thinking about downing them all at once. Can only speed things up.

olliebean

Things were complicated in my case as I knew it definitely couldn't be tonsillitis because I'd had my tonsils out when I was a child so I went to the doctor thinking I had throat cancer or something. Which is how I discovered they can grow back (although only one did in my case). Also when they do they tend to have a pitted surface where tonsil stones are liable to form so I now have the pleasure of having to gargle with salt water every morning to stave those off.

Tonsils.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 22, 2019, 11:34:57 AM
Excuse to neck Co-codamol, get to it

And then don't take shit for days.

shiftwork2

I just had penicillin.  After a week in which I abandoned any idea of popping out to the shop because it would have entailed climbing a single flight of stairs to get back to my student room and a flight of stairs was some laughable dream, I then became roadrunner with more energy than I think I've ever had.

Tonsils are still there.  What do they do?  What are they for?