Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:01:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jerry Sadowitz - Make Comedy Grate Again

Started by MigraineBoy, May 23, 2019, 07:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MigraineBoy

Saw Jerry last night in Liverpool & it was as expected - relentless gags, amazing magic, unnecessary cock.  He'd been onstage an hour or so when there was a sudden bit of movement in the middle rows, as someone leapt across a row of seats.  Jerry asked if he was one his way up on stage to assassinate him to which someone shouts "He's stopped breathing!" Then the house lights go up & some fella was being carried across the seats and he did not look good. At all.

Jerry takes it in & goes "Stopped breathing?  That's all I need on my fucking CV isn't it?" and stomped off the stage.  Gig over.

Quote from: MigraineBoy on May 23, 2019, 07:13:19 AM
Saw Jerry last night in Liverpool & it was as expected - relentless gags, amazing magic, unnecessary cock.  He'd been onstage an hour or so when there was a sudden bit of movement in the middle rows, as someone leapt across a row of seats.  Jerry asked if he was one his way up on stage to assassinate him to which someone shouts "He's stopped breathing!" Then the house lights go up & some fella was being carried across the seats and he did not look good. At all.

Jerry takes it in & goes "Stopped breathing?  That's all I need on my fucking CV isn't it?" and stomped off the stage.  Gig over.

Didn't harm the Goodies.

Lost Oliver

This happened in Manchester a couple years back and I was suspicious about whateher it had really happened or not. That said he came back on after a fifteen minute break in Manc. Anyone else have this? Maybe it's just the age of his audience these days.

I saw the show last month and for the first time I was disappointed. Maybe I've seen him too much but it felt like he was preaching to the converted a bit, not really testing anyone. The crowd wasn't huge either which I don't think helped the flow of the show. There was also a bit when he appeared to drop character - something I'd never seen before and it just didn't feel right.

That said, still funnier than about 95% of the comics oot there.

iamcoop

Just saw Jerry at The Stand in Newcastle. Absolutely brilliant. Although for some reason I feel like he held back a little bit and wasn't quite as intense as he has been the last couple of times I've seen him. He seemed genuinely happy at the end when he got a standing ovation after a ferocious hour and a half where no one walked out. I'll try and articulate my thoughts a bit more clearly once the dust has settled but by god, what an experience. Trying to articulate how you feel after a Sadowitz gig seems pointless. I am a shell.

hummingofevil

I was there too. He was on good form I thought. I was sat right at front so had bonus fun of seeing how some of his magic props work. :)

I've to point with Sadowitz were I learn nothing from these shows. I don't feel any better or any worse for having been and just roll with the daftness of it all and wait and laugh at those little lines that only Sadowitz can write. He is definitely inviting the audience to think that the man on stage is a prick though. Actively telling us to think that, calling us cunts and hoping that we are hating every minute of it; which obviously got good laughs.

And there were walk outs. The couple at the front who he pulled the face at seemed to be enjoying it so guess they left for none Sadowitz reasons but there was a couple behind me who were talking throughout about the show and left unhappy.

Spoiler below:

"I love it what comedian's died because I go up one on the ladder towards commercial success; Freddie Starr, earthworms ate my unfunny cunt" properly had me rolling.

---

For what it was worth I still think he most racist stuff is the least funny, he threw in a few P-words but they skipped through rather than him screaming them at the audience and he pointed out at multiple points that he is the "bad" man "spitting AIDS at the front row".

And that was his real penis. My friends disagree and thing it was fake.

hummingofevil

To start off another what-IS-Sadowitz I have to say that after last night I am more and more convinced by the idea that it is all deeply satirical levels of irony is missing the point. I've struggled to articulate what I think about it before but the closest I can get is that he says what he thinks but he is not sure whether he believes what he thinks.

That pretty much sums it up. And if what he thinks gets laughs when he says it, it doesn't matter one bit whether he believes it or not because it is us, the audience laughing so at best we are complicit and at worst to blame. There is of course the bigger picture that no matter what awful things come out of his mouth it has absolutely zero impact on the truly horrific events happening across the world. At that level it is nonsense and an irrelevance.

I refuse to not accept my own responsibility for laughing at his racist, sexist and whateverelsist jokes by dismissing them as some ironic character piece. If I'm laughing then its on me.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 27, 2019, 03:02:55 PMI've struggled to articulate what I think about it before but the closest I can get is that he says what he thinks but he is not sure whether he believes what he thinks.

I suspect that that's a rather good analysis.

Head Gardener

He doesn't do as magic as he used to, which is a shame but he was on grate form at Leamington recently

Head Gardener

Missed a trick to shout "goodbye Jew" as he left the stage

hummingofevil

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 28, 2019, 03:33:49 PM
Missed a trick to shout "goodbye Jew" as he left the stage

I have read this a dozen times today and don't get it. Do you mean "Thank Jew very much"? What is the trick you missed?

Lordofthefiles

I saw him in Newcastle too. Been processing it since.
I'm not sure I "enjoyed" it. Too much p**i-talk.

However, his description of Michael Gove has had me inward laughing a few times in the last couple of days:

"The only person that could spend a whole day in a carehome full of mongols and not get a cuddle".

hummingofevil

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on May 29, 2019, 01:14:38 AM
I saw him in Newcastle too. Been processing it since.
I'm not sure I "enjoyed" it. Too much p**i-talk.

However, his description of Michael Gove has had me inward laughing a few times in the last couple of days:

"The only person that could spend a whole day in a carehome full of mongols and not get a cuddle".

Careful. You will have the Sadowitz police on your back telling you about how you have missed the point and by laughing at "m****ls" but not at the "P***s" it is your hypocrisy that is the real offence here.

There might be some truth in this - one of my favorite comedy moments ever was sitting next to some meathead in Durham a few years back who was applauding the racist stuff but was visibly furious to point I thought his increasingly reddening baldy heed was about to explide when Sadowitz started on his "Our Boys" material - but I do think his racist stuff is simply just not as funny. As you point out his disabilist imagery is so, so wrong but I have to admit it makes me laugh every time. I'm a bad bad man.

--

I actually just came to post that I have just realised that one of his magic words is just the Spanish pronounciation of the letter J - "hch-ota". I also want to remind myself that the barking sound he makes as his magic word when he is doing the magic colouring book trick is one of the funniest parts of his act. It cracks me up. 

Head Gardener

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 28, 2019, 10:18:45 PM
I have read this a dozen times today and don't get it. Do you mean "Thank Jew very much"? What is the trick you missed?

he's a Scottish jew, I was referencing that bit in Schindlers List when the little girl shouts "bye jews" - Louis CK made a comedy skit out of it, I was thinking of that is all

Lost Oliver

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 28, 2019, 03:32:34 PM
He doesn't do as magic as he used to, which is a shame but he was on grate form at Leamington recently

This is the gig I saw, what did you think of the bit when he spoke about his friend? That's the dropping character bit I mentioned above.

And as hummingofevil says, the dog barking cracked me up. Just summed up why I love him.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Lost Oliver on May 29, 2019, 10:48:21 AM
This is the gig I saw, what did you think of the bit when he spoke about his friend? That's the dropping character bit I mentioned above.

Is this the shady Pete Docherty thing?

Also, how often does Sadowitz change his act? It seems like he just adds and subtracts about 20% of it each year leaving a good bit the same.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Lost Oliver on May 29, 2019, 10:48:21 AM

And as hummingofevil says, the dog barking cracked me up. Just summed up why I love him.

I remember this bit, he said something about his friend dying and the NHS and it not being an aging population problem but an Asian population problem

hummingofevil

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 29, 2019, 07:43:56 AM
he's a Scottish jew, I was referencing that bit in Schindlers List when the little girl shouts "bye jews" - Louis CK made a comedy skit out of it, I was thinking of that is all

Ah. Thank you. Yes. The reference was lost on me.

hummingofevil

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 29, 2019, 08:02:35 AM
The worst kind of Jew.

And that is why I love this website. Just imagine us getting quoted out of context.

I said watching Sadowitz for the umpteenth time has taught me nothing but I did have a chuckle to myself before about how a Nazi Jew who hates Muslims is pretty much fundamental position of the US Executive these days. It's just words unless those words are in the mouth of Netanyahu.

hummingofevil

Quote from: rasta-spouse on May 29, 2019, 01:02:08 PM

Also, how often does Sadowitz change his act? It seems like he just adds and subtracts about 20% of it each year leaving a good bit the same.

In Newcastle we got a fair bit of magic and nothing about Pete Dougherty. He always has this "I hate Geordie celebrities" bit which doesn't change much but is always in it in some way or another and actually I felt that quite a bit of this show was new. Maybe half to 2-3rds. The fact it's "Make Comedy Grate Again" and not "Magician, Comedian, Psychopath" made me think he updates his core material every 3 years or so but the general rule is if you see a "magic show" where he has the table out and does his coin tricks then it is usually a pretty different set (magic + comedy) from his stand up show (comedy + magic). It might be just coincidence but the magic shows I have seen are still pretty brutal but he seems to tone down the racist bits a bit (in terms of language if not sentiment).

holyzombiejesus

Please could someone expand upon "the shady Pete Docherty bit"?

Zetetic

rm2kmaster

Quote from: Lost Oliver on May 23, 2019, 07:33:17 AM
This happened in Manchester a couple years back and I was suspicious about whateher it had really happened or not. That said he came back on after a fifteen minute break in Manc. Anyone else have this? Maybe it's just the age of his audience these days.

That was my boss, trust me it was real.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: rm2kmaster on May 30, 2019, 09:49:37 AM
That was my boss, trust me it was real.

This makes his "I wish he'd died" comment even funnier.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 29, 2019, 05:51:06 PM
I remember this bit, he said something about his friend dying and the NHS and it not being an aging population problem but an Asian population problem

That was it, just felt odd him talking about his friend. Took me out of the circus of it all for a bit.

rm2kmaster

Quote from: Lost Oliver on May 30, 2019, 11:47:01 AM
This makes his "I wish he'd died" comment even funnier.

yeah we were quite happy with the subsequent barrage of hate. Specially as he'd only passed out through rather stupid means.

Flouncer

Quote from: Lost Oliver on May 30, 2019, 11:48:04 AM
That was it, just felt odd him talking about his friend. Took me out of the circus of it all for a bit.

What was the date and venue of this please? I'd quite like to find out if there's a bootleg of it. I'd be interested to see how that fitted into the gig. Sounds like he let the mask slip a bit.

He's doing Bradford tomorrow night... I could probably make it to that but I'm totally skint til next week. I hadn't realised he was touring; I periodically have a look to see if he's gigging but these dates weren't booked last time I looked - as a perennial awkward bastard he seems to keep changing the time of year he tours. I would have gone to Leeds or Manchester; he never plays Sheffield.

Jockice

Quote from: Flouncer on May 30, 2019, 02:27:45 PM
What was the date and venue of this please? I'd quite like to find out if there's a bootleg of it. I'd be interested to see how that fitted into the gig. Sounds like he let the mask slip a bit.

He's doing Bradford tomorrow night... I could probably make it to that but I'm totally skint til next week. I hadn't realised he was touring; I periodically have a look to see if he's gigging but these dates weren't booked last time I looked - as a perennial awkward bastard he seems to keep changing the time of year he tours. I would have gone to Leeds or Manchester; he never plays Sheffield.

Indeed he doesn't. He played the evening of the Hillsborough Disaster you know. I went but missed the first few minutes but apparently his very first joke was about it. Never found out what he actually said though. Can't have been one of his best though, otherwise I'd definitely heard it since.

I think the only time he's been since then was when he did an episode of The People Vs Jerry Sadowitz in the late 90s. I went to that too and got asked on the way in what I wanted to talk to him about. Er, nothing really. As far as I remember the first person walked onto the stage carrying a loaf of bread and lasted about five seconds before getting buzzed off.

thenoise

Quote from: rasta-spouse on May 29, 2019, 01:02:08 PM

I rather suspect that this might be one of his motivations behind the YouTube bans of decades old shows. He's still touring this material. Admittedly the show is a lot different, more extreme, and better than anything he ever put out on television. At least he was the last time I saw him.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: Flouncer on May 30, 2019, 02:27:45 PM

Thursday 9 May in Leamington. I'd add more than the bear facts in response to this but I'm really tired.