Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,173
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:18:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Playdate

Started by Beagle 2, May 23, 2019, 12:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Well this looks... odd. Not sure who it's particularly aimed at. Not kids. Hipsters? Do they want to be cranking in public?

I'm a sucker so I would probably pick one of these up if it wasn't a hundred and fifty fucking notes.

It's interesting anyway I guess!

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/playdate-release-date-games-3773730

St_Eddie

Aw, this looks amazing.  I wish that I could afford one.

Timothy

Why buy that if you can get a new Switch for 50 pounds more?

St_Eddie

The Switch doesn't appeal to me in any way whatsoever (all though there's no denying that one would get more bang for their buck with one).  This on the other hand is such a unique concept, with a gorgeous design, distinctive visuals and an exclusive range of games, designed by some of the best indie developers out there.  It's like love at first sight for me.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 23, 2019, 12:08:06 PM
Well this looks... odd. Not sure who it's particularly aimed at. Not kids. Hipsters? Do they want to be cranking in public?

I'm a sucker so I would probably pick one of these up if it wasn't a hundred and fifty fucking notes.

It's interesting anyway I guess!

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/playdate-release-date-games-3773730

One of the developers has been chipping in on a Resetera thread - https://www.resetera.com/threads/introducing-playdate-a-150-black-and-white-handheld-with-a-dozen-surprise-games-also-it-has-a-crank.118511/ - with some interesting bits and pieces.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Timothy on May 23, 2019, 12:58:56 PM
Why buy that if you can get a new Switch for 50 pounds more?

The PlayDate price is in dollars, not pounds, so the price difference would be a bit more. However, we're talking about rather different products and a lot of the interest for the PlayDate is to do with the talent involved.

Beagle 2

One game that will be entertaining for probably five minutes per month, though. I guess it's for people who pay over the odds for monthly deliveries of craft ale.

Look, I want one alright. I'm just trying to talk myself out of it. 

St_Eddie

I'm now seriously considering actually buying one.  I can go without food for a week, yeah?  Ain't no thang.

madhair60

This is shit for idiots. Magic fucking beans.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on May 23, 2019, 01:49:56 PM
This is shit for idiots. Magic fucking beans.

Mate.  You're a magic fucking bean, if anyone is.

I can't even begin to imagine how furious my partner would be if I bought one of these.

Also, everyone in that Resetera thread is a massive bell. "Oooh, oooh, it's not a viable product" fuck off and die you stupid cunts.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 23, 2019, 02:50:12 PM
I can't even begin to imagine how furious my partner would be if I bought one of these.

Luckily for me, I don't have a partner.  Who needs a girlfriend, when I can cosy up at night with my Playdate?

Beagle 2

I like the idea of a stripped back e-ink console a lot though.

So... I guess I actually like this a lot?

That doesn't seem like a thing that would happen.

biggytitbo

Looks quite cute apart from the ludicrous crank.

When I see this thing I just think:

Wind my mother fucking bobbin up, bitch.

St_Eddie

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 23, 2019, 04:46:54 PM
Looks quite cute apart from the ludicrous crank.

The crank is the best part!  I speak as a crank, so I know a good crank when I see one.

Twed

I thought this was brilliant when I saw a picture of it. A portable console that doesn't need batteries! You crank it like a torch! The screen is of course black and white for power-saving reasons, and it will encourage lots of great creativity due to the limitations. Trevor Bayliss is cranking in his grave over this!

But no, the crank is just a fucking INPUT.

To the people behind this, I have a suggestion. Tie a high-tension wire around your body. Attach each end to trucks. Have those trucks drive in opposite directions, causing the cable tension to slice you entirely in half. Arrange it so that each half tumbles into a sluice post-slice so that the body is immediately disposed of without any other living creature having to pay attention to you ever again.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on May 23, 2019, 05:17:59 PM
...the crank is just a fucking INPUT.

Don't you think that there's something to be said for the tactile response of turning a crank, as opposed to simply hammering a button?  The game Crankin's Time Travel Adventure, as demonstrated in the promotional video, gives a good indication of how the crank can be utalised in a way that wouldn't work half as well with conventional controls.

madhair60

Artisanal games consoles now.

Love this dieselpunk aesthetic.

Cold Meat Platter

This thing reeks of hops.

Pull dat lil crank like a widgey lol

biggytitbo

Quote from: Twed on May 23, 2019, 05:17:59 PM
I thought this was brilliant when I saw a picture of it. A portable console that doesn't need batteries! You crank it like a torch! The screen is of course black and white for power-saving reasons, and it will encourage lots of great creativity due to the limitations. Trevor Bayliss is cranking in his grave over this!

But no, the crank is just a fucking INPUT.

To the people behind this, I have a suggestion. Tie a high-tension wire around your body. Attach each end to trucks. Have those trucks drive in opposite directions, causing the cable tension to slice you entirely in half. Arrange it so that each half tumbles into a sluice post-slice so that the body is immediately disposed of without any other living creature having to pay attention to you ever again.

Exactly, a wind up handheld would be brilliant, why didn't they do that instead?

Twed

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 23, 2019, 05:33:23 PM
Don't you think that there's something to be said for the tactile response of turning a crank, as opposed to simply hammering a button?  The game Crankin's Time Travel Adventure, as demonstrated in the promotional video, gives a good indication of how the crank can be utalised in a way that wouldn't work half as well with conventional controls.
Yes, but a crank is too specific. Which they obviously found out since they said SOME OF THEIR TWELVE GAMES DO NOT EVEN USE THE GOD DAMNED CRANK

A spunking cock is also tactile but it isn't a good general physical input.

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 23, 2019, 06:18:18 PM

Exactly, a wind up handheld would be brilliant, why didn't they do that instead?
Presumably because it wouldn't work/wouldn't be cheap/wouldn't fit the form factor, but fuck don't just keep the crank. I actually like the idea of just the machine itself and a limited run of 12 games designed around limitations at a reasonable price. I just can't stop focusing on the clown hat they've put on top

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on May 23, 2019, 06:32:41 PM
A spunking cock is also tactile but it isn't a good general physical input.

A spunking cock is a very good general physical input when it's input into my anus.

Twed

God I would love to play a handheld games console with all spunking cock dildos sticking out the side of it.

peanutbutter

honesty seems like something that's more likely to inspire other things than be in any which way successful itself. I'm not sure how but it seems like the kind of thing that'll get people thinking up ways to make games with weird custom hardware in mind.

QDRPHNC

I'm all for anything trying to do something a bit different.

Twed