Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:11:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Happy 60th Birthday Bob Mortimer!

Started by DrGreggles, May 23, 2019, 12:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Shall we all say how great Bob is for a while?

magval

I think he is the funniest person alive, both in terms of his behaviour and off-the-cuff stuff as well as written material, and that only Norm Macdonald comes close.

Virgo76

A national treasure. Let's hope his next 60 years are as good as his first.

magval

Ever, never mind alive, that's just rhetoric, no one has even been funnier than Bob. I think about him every day, from Eric's "I...didn't...think...anything" and that vampire footballer saying "give us it, you cunt" in Mince back to saying "I love you" to Rebecca Front in Smell of Reeves and Mortimer. My mind's eye and ear are filled with his mannerisms and utterances and I recall them fondly and often.

rasta-spouse

A lot of his contemporaries have lost it, but Bob's sui generis humour remains strong. Really glad he's still putting stuff out in whatever form.

Howj Begg

Loved him from the first moment I saw him on Big Night Out in 1990. What a fantastic guy.

the

Not only one of the most natural comedy brains alive, but I sense a very nice man. Even when he's coming to precisely take you down, he's a loveable assassin.

There's also a sense that at points he's lived his life in quite a shambolic way, which is strangely reassuring. Bless you Bob, happy birthday.

bgmnts

I envy his ability to be naturally funny. So, so funny.

Even when his material isn't as funny his high standard, his delivery more than makes up for it.

alan nagsworth

If I ever met him I'd just want to give him a (chocolate) cuddle and tell him thanks for being the one person who has doubtless brought the most unbridled joy into my life for so many years. He's the fucking best. Unbeatable.

"Vic, have you farted?"
"No."
"What, never?"

imitationleather

dunelm

I think I'm right in saying prior to the first Big Night Out live shows in the pub Bob had never performed comedy before.

He literally got on stage with Vic and started doing it and was instantly brilliant. What a natural, effortless talent he is.

Completely unique. Athletico Mince is a wonderful unfiltered tour around his incredible brain.

He is a comic genius, I say that with zero hyperbole.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: the on May 23, 2019, 02:00:21 PM
Not only one of the most natural comedy brains alive, but I sense a very nice man. Even when he's coming to precisely take you down, he's a loveable assassin.

Or a sniper's dream.

Blumf

Replies From View

Blimey - they age fast don't they.

chrispmartha

Quote from: magval on May 23, 2019, 01:11:58 PM
Ever, never mind alive, that's just rhetoric, no one has even been funnier than Bob. I think about him every day, from Eric's "I...didn't...think...anything" and that vampire footballer saying "give us it, you cunt" in Mince back to saying "I love you" to Rebecca Front in Smell of Reeves and Mortimer. My mind's eye and ear are filled with his mannerisms and utterances and I recall them fondly and often.

I agree, it sounds over the top but I don't think there is a day goes by where something from either Reeves & Mortimer or Bob Mortimer doesn't enter my brain, and whatever is going on at the time it always makes me smile.

My favourite moment (probably my favourite comedy moment) is unashamedly the Stars for their Eyes clip but there are so man more

Can we post best of Bob Mortimer clips, can we?

https://youtu.be/HJ1ZWOchYQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te8z2pNsQqI

imitationleather

Good news is that he already had his assigned death and survived it so he is around forever now.

Puce Moment

My wife asked me if I would rather go on holiday with Kathy Burke or Bob Mortimer and I had to say Bob which surprised me because Kathy Burke is really the best person evs. That's how much I love him.

Twed

Quote from: dunelm on May 23, 2019, 02:49:17 PM
He literally got on stage with Vic and started doing it and was instantly brilliant. What a natural, effortless talent he is.
Yeah, comedy is just a natural instinct to him, and he's managed to do the brilliant thing of not adding the filters that other comedians have to make themselves more palatable. He doesn't overthink it (something I've heard him talk about before) and it works because he's so pure.

My favourite person that I don't know irl.

His ability to take the detail and minutiae of mundanity and make it hilarious is unmatched. The Peter Beardsley stuff on AM is a shining example of this

I've heard Vic Reeves, away from TV or stage, is a bit of a cunt in his behaviour.  I've heard no such thing about Bob, so, on the balance of probabilities, he's a more decent human being than his partner.

poodlefaker

There's a micropub near me that I refer to as Bob's Organ in his honour. Same age as Morrissey; makes u think.

jobotic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 23, 2019, 05:15:42 PM
I've heard Vic Reeves, away from TV or stage, is a bit of a cunt in his behaviour.  I've heard no such thing about Bob, so, on the balance of probabilities, he's a more decent human being than his partner.

Vic/Jim is very shy and socially awkward in real life, which some people might mistake for rudeness. He's also genuinely eccentric. I don't know the man, but I think it's unfair to call him a cunt.

Bad Ambassador

There's an interview with Bob and Paul Whitehouse in today's Times, to tie in with the Gone Fishing book, and it's as lovely as you'd expect. PW comes across as quite hard work, but a fundmentally decent sort, while Bob is forever producing packets of Monster Munch from his pockets.

There was a moment that rattled me when they mention that some subjects are off-limits when they're chatting, including Brexit. Given that Paul says he's a Remainer, with some reservations about the structure of the EU, I panicked for a moment that Bob was pro-Leave, but a quick search reveals he's actually hard Remain and just gets very angry about how the whole thing's turned out. Presumably it's off-limits to help the blood pressure and so as to not spoil their day out.

Good old Bob.

He's almost the same age as Ben Elton, who was sixty at the start of this month.

Twed

Ben Elton's brain was 60 about 25 years ago, though. Bob's brain is 35 years younger than Bob is.

lankyguy95

I would feel jealous about his natural comic ability and general likeability but I can't because he's too funny and likeable.

the

Don't be nudging towards some 'Vic's The Shit One' bobbins.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 23, 2019, 05:34:35 PMI panicked for a moment that Bob was pro-Leave, but a quick search reveals he's actually hard Remain and just gets very angry about how the whole thing's turned out.

I think Bob's politics are quite social.

Forgot about Bob's Organ. Genuine joy seeing that again.

non capisco

I just watched the Stars In Their Eyes "George Michael" section again for approximately the thousandth time. Guess what? Tears of laughter.

He's as good as he's ever been, too. Peter Beardsley/Peter Beardsley's Wife on Athletico Mince have engendered similar moments to the George Michael bit when I thought I might actually pass out from laughing.