Author Topic: Telly O’Mally’s RADEGUND  (Read 684 times)

Twit 2

• Just me and those big old waves rolling in
Telly O’Mally’s RADEGUND
« on: May 23, 2019, 05:50:40 PM »
Or ‘A Hidden Life’ as it now is. Story bout a pansy, set in Sound of Musicville.

https://youtu.be/HWC4dVB8n1s

‘Departure from my usual style’ my ringpiece.

PB seems to agree:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/may/19/a-hidden-life-review-terrence-malicks-rhapsody-to-an-austrian-conscientious-objector

I think he’s a crap critic but he got it right when it came to The Tree of Life being a harrumphing masterpiece of a film.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:12:25 PM by Twit 2 »

Re: Telly O’Mally’s RADEGUND
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 07:37:59 PM »
Sounds like he's doubling down on a lot of his usual things with this one?

Have to say, as someone who liked Song to Song and (kind of) felt like I got the wavelength he's been going on, I'm pretty excited about this one.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 08:42:16 PM »
I got VERY excited about this when production stills were first released four or five years ago.  I thought (and still think) there's a great film trying to get out of Tree of Life (though several critics now consider it as his masterpiece, and Criterion has recently released the extended cut of course), but then I saw and absolutely HATED To the Wonder (it almost seems to be Malick taking the piss out of himself, but without a single shred of humour), and still haven't seen Knight of Cups or Song to Song, neither of which fared particularly well even with the most loyal Malick fans (of which I considered myself as one, at least until To the Wonder).

Unlikely that it will come to a cinema anywhere near me (Knight of Cups lasted a day or two in one indie, with all showings sold out, and Song to Song seemed to go straight to DVD), but I feel safe in saying that Malick's best is well behind him.

Equally willing to eat those words if this ends up being amazing...

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 10:45:03 PM »
Only ever seen Tree of Life and New World and basically both changed my outlook on life and hit me emotionally harder than perhaps anything except looking at photos of me and my brothers as little kids. I'm scared to watch either of them again. The use of the Wagner prelude, in particular, from New World with the dizzying imagery (it's far beyond words, dizzying is just the tiniest element of how I felt), I'll never forget it. It made me feel that giddy nausea and delirious restlessness of realising you're in love for the first time. I mean that. It was painful to come back to reality and realise that I'd never feel that way again about a person, with such a blank emotional canvas, because life and experience and baggage and culture weigh so heavily and crush the essence of desire and the freedom to feel something true and pure. I'll be forever grateful for a glimpse of what this life could be.

chveik

• who's gonna feed them hogs?
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 10:58:37 PM »
Only ever seen Tree of Life and New World and basically both changed my outlook on life and hit me emotionally harder than perhaps anything except looking at photos of me and my brothers as little kids. I'm scared to watch either of them again. The use of the Wagner prelude, in particular, from New World with the dizzying imagery (it's far beyond words, dizzying is just the tiniest element of how I felt), I'll never forget it. It made me feel that giddy nausea and delirious restlessness of realising you're in love for the first time. I mean that. It was painful to come back to reality and realise that I'd never feel that way again about a person, with such a blank emotional canvas, because life and experience and baggage and culture weigh so heavily and crush the essence of desire and the freedom to feel something true and pure. I'll be forever grateful for a glimpse of what this life could be.

watch his first three films they're even better imo.

Twit 2

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 05:57:54 PM »

+1

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 06:14:17 PM »
watch his first three films they're even better imo.
The Thin Red Line ain't great...

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 07:49:23 PM »
The Thin Red Line ain't great...

That's right.  It's a masterpiece.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 09:30:33 PM »
The last act is a real mess. Loses focus really quite badly. Caviezel gets lost and then comes abruptly back, the film wanders around a bit without the direction of the first 2/3rds. Then George Clooney turns up for 3 seconds. The first two hours are sublime, though.

Twit 2

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 09:37:34 PM »
The whole thing is great. ‘Loses it in the 3rd act’ doesn’t apply when the film grammar is operating on a level far removed from the 3 act structure of the theatre.

The first bit of that film (croc - ship turning up) literally changed my life. I can divide my life into ‘before I’d seen that’ and ‘after’. Sublime.

Twit 2

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 10:36:17 AM »

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 09:26:54 PM »
Caviezel gets lost and then comes abruptly back
This was another thing, because some other guy had an extremely similar accent I was in total confusion for a big chunk of it RE: Caviezel.

New trailer has just reminded me how weird it'll be to see a Malick film with an actual full fledged plot of sorts for the first time in a while, even if it's' in a very modern Malick delivery

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 07:41:35 AM »
The whole thing is great. ‘Loses it in the 3rd act’ doesn’t apply when the film grammar is operating on a level far removed from the 3 act structure of the theatre

But it does have a three-act structure. A pretty clear one. And the third part doesn’t really work coherently with the first two.

Twit 2

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »
This was another thing, because some other guy had an extremely similar accent I was in total confusion for a big chunk of it RE: Caviezel.

I can’t find it on YouTube right now but there’s a clip of Scorsese discussing his top films of the 90s, of which TTRL is one, and he talks about how the actors with similar voiceovers is deliberate and supports the themes discussed in the film (“one big soul, all faces of the same man”). Can’t remember if the Michel Chion book on the film goes into this, probably does (good enough book, poor translation).

But it does have a three-act structure. A pretty clear one. And the third part doesn’t really work coherently with the first two.

I don’t doubt you can impose a 3 act structure on it. It is not a lens through which I see the film (and based on everything I know about Malick’s approach I doubt he does either) so ‘it falls apart in the last bit’ seems irrelevant to me. For me personally, it works all the way through, every minute. To be honest, I don’t even analyse why so much, all I know is that I absolutely adore the film start to finish and could watch it on a loop.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 11:53:46 PM »
The new trailer has blown my socks off.

Fuuuuuck me, the cinematography...

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 06:31:36 PM »
Fuuuuuck me, the cinematography...
This is an interesting one with this film too, it's his first since the Thin Red Line to not have been shot by Lubezski iirc? And his first not to have been shot by an acclaimed DP since Badlands too.

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 11:36:26 PM »
Cinematog made me shit my heart