Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:34:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chromebook Blues

Started by Mobbd, May 23, 2019, 06:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on May 25, 2019, 04:35:42 PM
Read-only authorisation?

Anyway, that's what user-empowerment looks like. Don't like it, build a better tool with a comparable learning curve and range of abilities.

(The closest we get is "zero-code" stuff which is overwhelming shite and a massive step backwards from Access, FileMaker or HyperCard.)

I do build better tools that's why it pains me to use horrible macros and spreadsheets that people are trying to bend into a database.

Zetetic

I don't mean a better tool for that task.

kalowski

Mobbd

Quote from: Mobbd on May 23, 2019, 06:11:45 PM
Anyone else got a Chromebook? I've had one for about three months and it's been endless bullshit.

A couple of months on and some of my problems have been soothed, though I still need to do a browser reset more frequently than I'd expect. But hey. First World Problems and all that.

Something I've recently found a bit of a grind is how the Chromebook struggles with anything that isn't online. While it plays streaming video beautifully, it struggles to open any format of video file or even to navigate between video files in the file viewer. This has been alleviated somewhat by only ever using list view (rather than preview/tiles view), but it's still ropey. When opening an image file to do some basic editing or whatever, the OS glitches roughly and sometimes crashes. Not great.

I swear I never expected excellence. I know Chromebooks aren't for serious computing. I just didn't realise that the benchmark for 'serious computing' would be so low.

Zetetic

canadagoose

Quote from: Zetetic on July 28, 2019, 07:36:47 PM
What Chromebook?

Acer Chromebook 14, I think he said? Might not be the same one though.

Mobbd

Quote from: canadagoose on July 29, 2019, 01:36:16 AM
Acer Chromebook 14, I think he said? Might not be the same one though.

Same one, yes! Thanks. 14.

Zetetic

Ah, remembering the thread properly now - apologies and thanks both.

I'd still suggest giving Linux a try, whether that's a proper install or using crouton. The hardware is alright, while ChromeOS is obviously overwhelmingly targetted at online-use.

Mobbd

Quote from: Zetetic on July 29, 2019, 11:28:44 AM
I'd still suggest giving Linux a try, whether that's a proper install or using crouton.

Thank you Zetetic. I've been idly considering that. Do you mean install Linux on the Chromebook itself or getting a laptop specifically recommended for Linux?

MojoJojo

He means installing it on the Chromebook. Crouton is a package for running linux in parallel with chromeOS.

Mobbd

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 29, 2019, 04:25:34 PM
He means installing it on the Chromebook. Crouton is a package for running linux in parallel with chromeOS.

Ooh. Now you're talking. Thanks both.