Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:02:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bash Brothers - New Lonely Island Netflix "Visual Poem"

Started by phantom_power, May 24, 2019, 10:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Music Forum but it is really funny so this seemed the best place

Very much your usual Lonely Island comedy rap stuff but with visual comedy as well and more focused due to being about one subject. I really liked it and know nothing about baseball or the two people portrayed in it. You can work it all out as it goes along I think

jofo

Have'nt seen this yet , but glad not knowing fuck all about Baseball does not deminish the enjoyment of the thing. I'll whack it on later.

I like the other sports things related to The Loney Island (7 days in Hell and the tour de france one). so hopefully this wont be total shit.

when I saw this pop up on twitter it reminded me to watch the Michael Bolton valentine's special again, Now I have that KEY CHANGE BABY song stuck in  my brain for the past two days.

Small Man Big Horse

I just watched this now and thought it was fucking amazing. Admittedly I love musical comedy a great deal, but jesus, the level of mad inventiveness is stunning and I thought it was gloriously funny throughout, I'm very fond of The Lonely Island (and really rate Popstar: Never Stop Popping) but for me this is easily the best thing they've ever done.

phantom_power

I like the little idiosyncrasies they throw in, like the need for parental acceptance, and the bit with Haim

studpuppet

It's very good, and not something you need to know about baseball to enjoy - although I'd recommend the Crime In Sports podcast on Jose Canseco if you want to fill some of the gaps.

I always wow baseball fans by saying I've seen Canseco, McGwire and Reggie Jackson play on the same team. I've seen precisely one baseball game in my life.

up_the_hampipe

I enjoyed this, despite not fully understanding it. Big fan of Lonely Island, I wish their upcoming tour had some U.K. dates. Why was Jorma so sparsely featured in this though?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: studpuppet on June 09, 2019, 05:36:05 PM
It's very good, and not something you need to know about baseball to enjoy - although I'd recommend the Crime In Sports podcast on Jose Canseco if you want to fill some of the gaps.

I always wow baseball fans by saying I've seen Canseco, McGwire and Reggie Jackson play on the same team. I've seen precisely one baseball game in my life.

I feel a bit embarrassed now as I had no idea it was based on real people until I read your post. Still, goes to show how little it matters to know about baseball I guess.

phantom_power

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 09, 2019, 06:03:55 PM
I enjoyed this, despite not fully understanding it. Big fan of Lonely Island, I wish their upcoming tour had some U.K. dates. Why was Jorma so sparsely featured in this though?

Did he direct it?

EDIT: No he didn't. Carry on

bgmnts

Got about 5 minutes in before switching off. The Lonely Island were mildly amusing as a teenager because jizzing in your pants was funny to me at that age.

It's wank parody music for babies though, sub-Weird Al stuff.

studpuppet

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 09, 2019, 08:36:52 PM
I feel a bit embarrassed now as I had no idea it was based on real people until I read your post. Still, goes to show how little it matters to know about baseball I guess.

It's quite a story - they were at the (very obvious) forefront of steroid abuse in the late eighties and early nineties. Then Canseco's life spiralled out of control a little and he ended up coming clean and naming names (including McGwire) and they fell out.

It says something about how Canseco's life has gone that he immediately saw an opportunity to monetise being associated with it.

cliggg

I just watched half of this and thought it was crap. The Lonely Island should spend less time calling their celebrity to arrange cameos and more time writing funny jokes. They are also all in their forties but seemingly can't let 10 seconds pass without a dick joke, it's like they are dependent on them and don't understand the concept of less is more. Awful stuff altogether which is a shame as I fucking love Hot Rod so they are capable of much better than this.