Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:05:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I STILL FUCKING LOVE CATS

Started by Cerys, May 25, 2019, 12:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

Thanks for all the Inanka compliments. I'd tell her what you said about her but she wouldn't care, she'd just want fed.

Here's Wolfgang looking thoughtful.

Head Gardener

Attila

Dunno, Judi Dench looking all right there.

(I've tried to upload 3 photos now to that site, and it keeps telling me it can't detect a face...dead soon, I guess)

olliebean

That site just redirected me to a fake BBC news report about Simon Cowell's cryptocurrency "wealth system."

imitationleather

I'm really surprised Clive tolerated this.

Wonderful Butternut

Cats are kind of strange about tolerating things. Sometimes they'll put up with what appears to be really inconvenient or uncomfortable.

His pupils are in attack mode though.

mobias

Wolfgang enjoying the evening sun.

NoOffenceLynn

@mobias what did your cats do in a former life to end up living with you in that awesome house?

Whatever they did, it must have been summat amazing!

And they are beautiful too, as are all the moggies on this thread.

imitationleather

Pink Gregory

come home to feed the cats

throw open the back door

eye contact with Lily doing a shit

The Mollusk

mobias

Who's that peering inside the cat palace?

imitationleather

Queenie was lying like this for ages last night. She looks like she's being dissected on a table in a lab. :/

WhoMe

We've had our cat Amber for 6 weeks now and are in the uncomfortable phase of letting her into the garden and sort of praying she comes back again. She has a sniff around then disappears behind the shed or over a fence into an adjoining garden before sprinting back into the house. At some point you just have to leave them to it I guess, but she looks so tiny once she's out there and there are a fair few bigger, hopefully not meaner cats about, and a few dogs. Not collared as I don't trust those snapping ones to release her if she became snagged, but she was chipped by cats protection before we got her.

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on June 05, 2021, 04:19:40 PM

My living room the same colour as Imi - time to get the paint rollers out.

Really like this thread, nice to see pictures of cats not up to much. Gives me hope I could look after one.

pigamus

Quote from: WhoMe on July 15, 2021, 11:29:01 AM
We've had our cat Amber for 6 weeks now and are in the uncomfortable phase of letting her into the garden and sort of praying she comes back again. She has a sniff around then disappears behind the shed or over a fence into an adjoining garden before sprinting back into the house. At some point you just have to leave them to it I guess, but she looks so tiny once she's out there and there are a fair few bigger, hopefully not meaner cats about, and a few dogs. Not collared as I don't trust those snapping ones to release her if she became snagged, but she was chipped by cats protection before we got her.

To be honest, without a collar on she's probably more at risk of someone assuming she's a stray and luring her away than she is of being garrotted. You'd hope they'd check for a chip but you know what people are like.

holyzombiejesus

I'm asking for advice but I know what the advice will be...

My cat is at least 16, possibly 17 or even 18. Doesn't seem to be in pain, no mewling or limping or days of no movement. He does make very strange noises when he eats (sounds crunchy even when he eats wet food) and the squelchy squirty noises coming from his stomach sometimes is pretty gross. But I've been told that these are relatively normal for old cats and he seems ok generally. Only issue is, over the last few weeks, he's started shitting and pissing all over the house. The attic at least twice, my son's bedroom (on his bed and quilt!) and I just found one on the bath mat. Big stinky squidgy turd. I know that I should take him to the vet but I just really feel that I may not end up bringing him home, that they'll find something wrong with him that's terminal or ridiculously expensive to put right and we'll end up having to have him put to sleep. Are sudden dirty protests anything to be significantly concerned about?

bgmnts

Well old people shit themselves right? Makes sense a cat would.

Has anything changed in the household? Might be sensitive to  a certain change that is stesssing him.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: bgmnts on August 10, 2021, 10:16:53 PM
Well old people shit themselves right? Makes sense a cat would.

Has anything changed in the household? Might be sensitive to  a certain change that is stesssing him.

Nothing that predates the shitting. We've just had the living rom decorated but he'd already shat in the attic twice and the bathroom once before we did that. Had the guttering done too but I don't think that should have upset him...

pigamus

Usually if they can't get to the tray for whatever reason then they howl by the door to go out - not being agitated by it is probably a sign that he's lost control of his functions a bit.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, thinking it may be time to let him go. Guess we could have a litter tray somewhere for him but feels like delaying the imminently inevitable.

bgmnts

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 10, 2021, 10:18:43 PM
Nothing that predates the shitting. We've just had the living rom decorated but he'd already shat in the attic twice and the bathroom once before we did that. Had the guttering done too but I don't think that should have upset him...

Yeah maybe it's just getting old then. The only way to get a proper answer I suppose is to take him to the vet.

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 10, 2021, 10:31:51 PM
Yeah, thinking it may be time to let him go. Guess we could have a litter tray somewhere for him but feels like delaying the imminently inevitable.

You are taking the pain away from your beloved pussycat and dealing with that grief is difficult.

But you are doing the best by your beautiful pet. Sending love 🐾🐾❤

holyzombiejesus

Took him to the vets and they diagnosed a thyroid problem which twice-daily squirts of medicine should help with, which is a kind of relief. But the shitting and pissing is getting too much now. Is it cruel to get a cat put down if it's going to the toilet all over the house? Pissed in exactly the same spot on the sofa 3 times this week. On top of wool blankets too which can't be dried on a radiator, seeps through the thick sofa covers to the actual foam cushions. How the fuck do you clean those? We try and keep all doors shut but it's tricky when you have a toddler. My little boy woke up this morning and came in to our room and this fucking cunt of a cat ran straight on to his bed and did a shit and piss on it and some went on one of his teddies. Overnight he shat and pissed on the bathroom floor. It wasn't even raining last night and he uses his cat flap other times so I don't get it.

We're trying to make things as good as we can for the cat and even got one of those plug-ins that are supposed to make them feel calm but it doesn't appear to have made any difference. Luckily we're due a couple of hours of sunshine today so at least we can partially dry some stuff on the line but we can't live like this. I know the cat isn't doing it out of malice or spite but it's hard to be nice to it when the house is in disarray and you're constantly sniffing out puddles and mounds of shit. At the moment, and I know this is wrong, I fucking hate the thing.

Jockice

When I got my Lotte (about three weeks after I had to get Pongo put to sleep) I was told by her owner that the reason was that her and the other cat weren't getting along with each other. Fair enough. But she somehow forgot to mention that the reason she'd chosen Betsy to stay with her was that Lotte loves nothing more than pissing on the floor. Can't get enough of it. Strange that this should have slipped Jane's mind though.

All I can say is, you get used to it after a while and the smell sort of blends in. And she does occasionally use the litter tray or the shower cubicle, although she often can't be arsed waking another foot and just does it on the bathroom floor. Has never shit anywhere unexpected though. As far as I'm aware.

In other urine-related news, I have a bottle next to my bed that I sometimes (although not always) have to use before getting out of bed. A few days ago Lotte was distracting me so much - she rubs herself against my face, giving me lovely mouthfuls of hair - I  didn't notice that I was completely missing the bottle. Until I'd finished 'using' it. So now my mattress also smells absolutely delightful.

bgmnts

I personally wouldn't put a cat down due to that as much of a pain in the arse as it would be but if it's unlikeable then I dont know. Tough situation, that.

My only ideas would be to spray something the cat hates on the items or flooring that is difficult to clean or restrict parts of the house.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Jockice on August 22, 2021, 02:36:00 PM
All I can say is, you get used to it after a while and the smell sort of blends in.

No. That's not going to happen. I would rather have to carry the burden of knowing I was responsible for the death of an extremely elderly yet relatively healthy animal than for us to become acclimatised to the stench of a cat pissing and shitting all over our house.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: bgmnts on August 22, 2021, 02:37:24 PM
My only ideas would be to spray something the cat hates on the items or flooring that is difficult to clean or restrict parts of the house.

We thought about that but would need to spray it everywhere in the house, all over my little boy's bed, clothes, carpets. Even considered getting those things out on top of doors that means they close but then we run the risk of him getting locked in a room.
Really needed today to go out and de-stress and do something nice for myself as things (work and practical stuff) have been pretty full on recently. Instead I'm having to stay in and wash/ dry piss and shit stained bedding.

Bently Sheds

Our old lad started going blind, then started randomly pissing & shitting all over the house, then he couldn't perch on the arm of the sofa any more without falling off. He had no quality of life so we took him to the vet, with a mind to having him put to sleep. The vet spent 45 minutes telling us that with modern veterinary medicine he could extend his 15 years a little further with a course of expensive injections and prescription food that was to be exclusively purchased at his practice. He would still be blind and incontinent, but he would live longer. We stuck with our decision that our beloved cat's dignity was more important than a new Mercedes in the vet's driveway & had the vet put him to sleep.

I felt guilty at the time & missed the old bugger terribly (even though he demonstrably didn't like me at all) & was sad for a good while after he went. He was a cranky old fucker, but was Mrs Sheds' closest companion through her darkest times & she was resolute in her mind that the kindest thing was not to string his miserable old age out any further - we would have been doing that more for ourselves than for him.

Dunno if all that helps, Holyzombiejesus.

Bob-Kate

Give the thyroid meds some time to kick in. If they don't stop it, there might be something else you need to deal with.

You can get some sprays that are supposed to put them off pissing and shitting. I used them a few years ago when we had some elderly cats that had got lazy. Sorry can't remember the name, they sell them in Pets@Home. They also don't like lemony smells.

Also make sure the litter tray is cleaned very regularly, they're surprisingly and hypocritically fastidious about their toilet areas. Maybe also give treats after they use the litter tray?