Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:48:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I STILL FUCKING LOVE CATS

Started by Cerys, May 25, 2019, 12:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 18, 2019, 03:46:49 PM
That cat has amazing eggshell like colouring.

Pickle says thanks, but insists that she's not normally so derpy:

Captain Crunch

Cat with big head and tiny little feet up for adoption:

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Flouncer

imitationleather

One of my cats has got really into playing fetch. He'll sit on the back of the sofa and chuck a little cushion that he likes carrying around in his mouth towards me. I then throw it across the room, he retrieves it, perches back up on the sofa and it begins again. Is this sort of thing unusual in a cat? I've only heard of dogs going in for that lark up until now.

Attila

Quote from: imitationleather on August 28, 2019, 07:31:56 AM
One of my cats has got really into playing fetch. He'll sit on the back of the sofa and chuck a little cushion that he likes carrying around in his mouth towards me. I then throw it across the room, he retrieves it, perches back up on the sofa and it begins again. Is this sort of thing unusual in a cat? I've only heard of dogs going in for that lark up until now.

My old cat The Boods would play fetch with bits of dried pasta (there was one shape she preferred, and we'd buy boxes of them just for her). She learned the word 'noodle' so if you called it out to her (a long, drawn out 'nooo dooo?') she'd be off like a shot, grab one of them, and throw it by your feet.

You'd get tired long before she did -- and if you didn't notice or were busy, it wasn't unusual to turn around from where you were working/sat, and see a little ring of noodles where she'd been bringing them along for you to throw. She'd get your attention by sighing angrily if you didn't notice quickly enough.

We were forever stepping on these little pastas and grinding them into the carpet.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

not everyday you see a pussy licking baps

mothman

We just lost one of our cats.

She was about a year and a half old, grey, huge ears, beautiful. She'd gotten pregnant just before we were about to have her spayed, so we've got five orphaned kittens now, fortunately 9 weeks old and weaned; two we've found homes for already, a third TBC, we may keep two.

She'd been a brilliant mum. But yesterday she went out, and was run down just up the road a bit. We only found out via Facebook because the people whose house it happened outside posted to the local group; a woman knocked on their door saying she'd "seen it happen" (trans: she did it).

She died almost instantly, which is a mercy. They took her to the vets - our vets - but she'd not been chipped yet. Once our neighbours told us about the Facebook post (we're not on there anymore) MrsMoth went down, identified her, brought her home. We just buried her in the garden.

We're all upset, obviously. She was a lovely cat. But utterly unhousetrainable - she shat and pissed everywhere, and has caused thousands of pounds of damage. We'd actually made enquiries about reforming her, because we couldn't take it anymore. No idea how we'd have handled our youngest, whose cat she was - that's all moot now, of course. But we never wanted this to happen...

Cerys

I'm so sorry to hear that, mothman.  Horrible thing to happen.

mothman

bgmnts

Still only a kitten basically, that sucks :(

imitationleather

Very sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how that must be. My two are coming up to seven months old now and while their mortality hopefully (hopefully) won't be an issue for a long time thinking about how it will eventually come up one day does make me feel pretty worried.

mothman

The kittens seem fine, at least. Eating well (biscuits, occasionally with some kitten milk added), and playing like crazy. She'd gradually been withdrawing from them anyway, and they're old enough to be rehomed now. So who can tell what they're thinking? Our youngest, her owner, came and got in bed with us last night. She's still there now, asleep. I hope she sleeps in as we have someone coming to view one this morning.

From a few weeks ago.

Head Gardener

Attila

The Story of Ethan Arthur Tiger

Since I've known Mr Attila, I've also known one of the older cats on the estate, a big old red and white tomcat. I became aware of him about 10 years ago when he (the cat) was still pretty spry, and his now in-her-90s owner would still walk to the shops,  Ethan Arthur Tiger following along behind her. All we knew is that her themselves older children had thought, 'Hey, mum is in her 80s and lives alone, what better thing to do would be to give her this aduylt cat.

Ethan Arthur Tiger  has a flap to get in and out of the house, and she leaves the door to the little entry at her house open, but we noticed very early on that Ethan Arthur Tiger  would be outside in all weathers, year round, a rough-coated cat who was increasingly thinner, as all his increasingly housebound owner would do is sprnkle a few cat treats on the ground for him.

Mr Gus's people moved in, and in the days before Gus, they would take in Ethan Arthur Tiger  and feed him, and let him have some time with people. He'd let you pet him, but he was quick to take a swipe at you, too. Ethan Arthur Tiger Kept getting thinner and more beat up, because he was living outside in all weathers even though Mr Gus's people started feeding him, and tried to build him a little shelter to stay in during rainy days. Both Mr Attila and Gus's people tried to tell Ethan Arthur Tiger 's owner that he needed more care, that he was wheezing from a lung ailment, that he was getting pretty thin. I know that on more than one occasion when the adult children came to check in on the old lady, they were also informed that the cat was being neglected. Once Mr Gus came along, Ethan Arthur Tiger  couldn't go into that house anymore (Gus is very territorial); sometimes he would come up to our garden, and when my Vince was around and I played with him in the evenings, the now wobbly Ethan Arthur Tiger  would wander over to check things out and to get a handful of kibble from me.

Some other things we learned, but only recently: Ethan Arthur Tiger  is originally Ethan, a cat born in the Netherlands and adopted as a kitten by an eldery woman who doted on him, and lived a coddled life -- for about a year or so, until she died. However, she'd made provisions for him in her will, and has asked her adult children to find him a new home. They knew the adult children of 'our' old lady, so Ethan got a pet passport and was brought to the UK, where he became Arthur at the old lady's house. Hence beginning his new life as an outdoor cat that was looked after almost as an afterthought for years, collectively cared for and played with by the other people in the street.

Then, this past spring, he got into a bad scrape -- new neighbours, who thought he was a lovely cat and would pat him and occasionally give him kibble, found him lying in their garden one night, drenched in blood. As mentioned, he's an old wobbly cat, and apparently had tried to climb a fence or something and managed to impale himself on it. The new people panicked, and even though it was 1230 in the morning, knocked on Gus's people's door (they had lights on in their downstairs room) -- Gus's people helped out by helping them to clean up Ethan Arthur Tiger and provide bandages and some cat blanket things -- these neighbors took Ethan Arthur Tiger  home and stayed up with him all night until they could contact the old lady to get ahold of her adult children, tell them what happened. Ethan Arthur Tiger is of course very old, and he was badly hurt.

The adult children, however, paid the close to £1000 vet's bill for Ethan Arthur Tiger  to have surgery. Ethan Arthur Tiger  rested and convolesced at the old lady's home for a few weeks; her children come see her on the regular, so helped to look after him.

Once Ethan Arthur Tiger  got better, he resumed life outdoors, eating from his food bowl at Gus's house, but more and more at the house of the new neighbours. I found out last night that this is now where he lives; he's moved in with this couple and been rechristened Tiger. They told me how they'd spoken to the old lady about it, and that's when I found out about his previous life. Last night was the first time I'd see Ethan Arthur Tiger  properly in a while (although he's been caught on our wildlife camera -- I'll pull some of the photos off) -- he's become extremely fat, he's got toys & a cat bed at the new house, but apparently he likes sleeping in the new neighbours' bed.

Apologies for such a long story, but having seen how Arthur has struggled for so long, not being able to take him in (he and our cats did not get along, nor could Gus's people take him in) but doing the best we could for him, and that he's come full circle to live with a pair of people who dote on him to bits...it made me happy. I hope it makes you happy.

weekender

Quote from: Attila on September 27, 2019, 11:30:38 PMI hope it makes you happy.

It does, that was lovely.  Thank you for taking the time to post it.

Attila

Quote from: weekender on September 27, 2019, 11:33:10 PM
It does, that was lovely.  Thank you for taking the time to post it.

Cheers...when the new guy (Flavio) was chatting with me about all this last night, I just wanted to give him a huge hug, and I am not a huggy person. He had tons of photos of Arthur on his phone, and they just love him to bits.

Cerys

I've gone a little moist around the eyes.  Thanks for posting, Attila.

Dex Sawash

Went to the produce stand to get the last of the good peaches a few weeks ago.
Wife was harassing this furry bastard.

pigamus

That thing on the other page of Darth Vader failing to call a cat - aren't people who can't call cats hilarious? A man of my acquaintance will literally shout PISH PISH PISH PISH like an irate Scotsman. The cat just looks baffled.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 31, 2019, 02:38:11 PM

Mate, come on. If I wanted to see this shite I'd get in a time machine and fuck off back to iFunny in 2010.

Haven't posted in this thread since the last one or maybe one before that.

Here are ours:

Marvin

Otis

Marvin is an Abyssinian and Otis is an Ocicat.

alan nagsworth

Incredible eyes and ears on Marvin, what a character!

imitationleather

imitationleather

My missus has been buying European cat food that she apparently read on the internet is good quality. Y'know what European stuff is like: extremely ropey-looking packaging design, can which is about ten times more difficult to open than a normal one, etc. I dunno about the quality of the food as I've not eaten it, but by Christ their shits sting my eyes now.

Hopefully she'll no longer be able to get it once Brexit finally happens.