Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:50:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I STILL FUCKING LOVE CATS

Started by Cerys, May 25, 2019, 12:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Hello mumsnet. My partner and I have just moved into a new place (I know! Congrats to us! Prosecco o'clock!) and we've been here a week.

I know the suggested amount of time to keep your cats in a new home before letting them outside is two weeks, but Raymond is going fucking spare. Cleo isn't arsed, as she's the runt of her litter and would likely happily spend the rest of her life asleep on my lap if she could, but Ray is a lean killing machine, and the birds are starting every day screaming their heads off looking for a new mate for the spring, and he seriously wants to get out amongst it. He's getting really stir crazy, having "mad half hours" several times a day, taking his frustration out by chasing Cleo about, bombing up and down the hallway like a mad cunt.

They both seem pretty settled and accustomed to the home after a week, they stopped being nervous or anxious after a day or two, and I think I know them well enough to ascertain that they're happy. Reckon it's alright if we start letting them out soon?

Cerys

I always thought it was six weeks you were supposed to keep them in.  I appreciate that this is probably not something that you want to hear, though.  And it may be wrong anyway.

Regardless, try to keep them in for a bit longer.  You'll feel like shit if you rush things and lose a moggy as a result.

Pseudopath

Yeah...two weeks is the recommended length, but it really does depend on the cat. If he's not prone to wandering off for days on end, you'll probably be alright with a week. Last time I moved house, one of my cats immediately jumped out of a first floor window in his desperation to go exploring and he was back meowing at the back door 20 minutes later.

Don't blame me if he fucks off though.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 25, 2020, 12:21:44 PM
Don't blame me if he fucks off though.

TOO LATE.

Nah, he is a right explorer. When I call them in of a night for dinner sometimes he takes about 15-20 minutes to turn up. And sometimes he doesn't come running, he comes casually strolling in taking his sweet bastard time whilst I freeze at the back door. He can be affectionate and he clearly loves me a great deal, but he has a strong independence when he's outdoors. I think I will wait the extra week.

chveik

it depends if you can live with the death of those birds on your conscience.

alan nagsworth

The house next door has several feeders up outside their back door. They're practically hanging over our door as well, and he sits on the worktop glaring out at them every morning. The neighbours are going to have to deal with the fact that those birds are very quickly going to stop coming here for a feed. It's a shame in one respect but I don't really give a fuck because I care more about my cats.

monkfromhavana

Hello,

We adopted a rescue cat in December, a 2-year old tabby who we have renamed "Alan" as a tribute to Scottish snooker player Alan "Angles" McManus [nb]Not really, though we have called him Alan[/nb].

Can I ask you cat people how you deal with over-grooming? Since we've had him, Alan has licked one of his hind legs free of fur. The vet suggest hypo-allegenic food, which he has been on for a month, but things are not better. He doesn't seem at all stressed, plenty of toys, hidey places, cat trees etc and we play with him a lot when we're at home. We've kept him inside as per the instructions when you adopt a new cat, and my partner wants him to be an indoor cat due to her being vaguely hysterical about the dangers of the outside world.

Any ideas? I'll post some pics imminently of lovely, lovely Alan.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: bgmnts on January 30, 2020, 03:05:11 PM
Catnip.

Got that, we perhaps should give him some more in his food

Gurke and Hare

Did the rescue people mention a grooming issue? If not, it seems like the change of environment might have affected him. I've had friends say that Feliway os good, so maybe that's worth a try?

Icehaven

10 posts on a new page and no pics? Sort it out ffs.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: icehaven on January 30, 2020, 08:25:09 PM
10 posts on a new page and no pics? Sort it out ffs.

A bit more Raymond and Cleo, then:

I've said it in here before but I can't fuckin stress just how enormous Ray is.

bgmnts

Why are everyone's cats gorgeous and mine is an ugly old cunt?

Bobtoo

Sebastian trying to steal Belle's food, even though he has some of the same food in his own dish. Belle seems to have more ginger patches every time I look, is it possible for a cat's markings to change?

Icehaven

alan nagsworth

Quote from: bgmnts on January 30, 2020, 09:18:03 PM
Why are everyone's cats gorgeous and mine is an ugly old cunt?

All animals are beautiful.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Bobtoo on January 30, 2020, 09:23:01 PM
Sebastian trying to steal Belle's food, even though he has some of the same food in his own dish. Belle seems to have more ginger patches every time I look, is it possible for a cat's markings to change?

In my experience,  yep. Especially for becoming more ginger, sometimes just over summer, sometimes for ever. Just one of them things I guess (ie I dont know why- please dont ask).

Brian Freeze

Has there been a Tesco cat in the news recently?

We've got a Co-Op cat called Dele Alli. Looks the spit of the Tesco bothering one and is one of my favourite cats in a long life of decent cats. Proper cheeky little smart lad he is and just loves wandering into the shop and sitting on the self service and having a right sociable time.

He's not very popular with the staff. They've even put signs up. Not much use as he can't read can he?

I went in at the weekend and theyd plugged in a Sonic Deterrent in the entrance. Told Mrs Freeze about the escalation in the Dele Alli war. She wemt in yesterday and said he was practically sat on it, generally not being arsed about it.

More Dele Alli news as it happens.

Attila

There was  some sort of news story being filmed at Woking on Tuesday; one of the station managers was on the platform holding an enormous white cat. He was talking to a woman with a microphone, with a soundman and cameraman stood nearby.

Does Woking station have an enormous white cat?

steve98

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 31, 2020, 10:31:08 AM

Would.

I  browsed a thread somewhere where this (or a similar blobfish) was presented as what Michael Flateley might eventually look like, if he didn't stop removing his ribs, vertebrae etc, chasing the perfect self-gobble.

Captain Crunch

Buelligan

I just wanted to report something.  As you may remember, I feed many stray cats, feral cats, I am extremely fond of them but I never pet them or get close to them because I know they need to stay wily and not start trusting the humans. 

One of my total beloveds of this gang or swarm is Mooney.  She is the most incredibly black and white striped cat, like a zebra tabby but silvery instead of white, she has pale blue eyes, one, I think is blind because it has a very large pupil that never changes and she has a strange little twisted ear on that side too, so I imagine she was hurt once.  She has a very high chirruping voice like a little bird.  Anyway, she's beautiful.  Possibly the most beautiful cat I have ever known and I've known her since she was old enough to totter about.

She disappeared about four months ago and I was desolate.  And I worried like fuck about her, tried not to think of her, it was bad.  Today, I worked a motherfucker of a shift with no breaks or food and I was broken and feeling a bit shit after the old Brexit and so on.  Came home just now and who was on my fucking doorstep.  I could not believe it.  She did one of her little whistling calls when she saw me.  I have fed her and she's buggered off again, best thing that's happened to me in a while.  Thought I'd share.  SHE'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!  I nearly cried.

Attila

I'm glad your kitty friend popped by to see you, Bulligan :) What a good feeling you must have had.

bgmnts

Chinese takeaway gave us free chicken strip things. Dont eat meat so treated the cat.

Fucking hell like a pig in shit. Wolfed it at the speed of light  def gonna vom and squit tonight. Good on him.

Also, yay for the return of zebra cat.

bgmnts

Yeah no seriously dont let your old cat get a chip off your plate and have a bit of chicken.

Fuck me.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Captain Crunch on February 02, 2020, 03:35:28 PM
Nicked from facebook:

Not totally sure that cat is even standing unaided. Someone's propped him up near a dead chicken.

Flouncer

Fridacat, my best mate in the whole world, is on her last legs.

Since December she's been struggling to eat. It turned out that her kidneys are fucked; she had been refusing anything other than chicken for a while. She usually eats wet food and has some chicken as a reward, but it got to the point where she'd totally refuse any other food and eat nothing at all for ages, holding out for the chicken. On the vet's advice I tried everything I could think of; tuna, bacon rind, a cat food specifically for cats with bad kidneys, a soup type food... No luck, outside of a few small victories. She's lost a shit-ton of weight.

A couple of months down the line, she's started making this strange, awful row - periodically she wanders into an empty room, and repeatedly does this strange, sad miaow. If you leave her to keep doing it, the miaow becomes really anguished and desperate; it's incredibly distressing. I took her in to the vets at the start of the week, and was told that this is a sign that she's going senile. The vet called it 'raucous cry' which I thought was a brilliant turn of phrase. It's really odd: if I go up to her while she's doing it, she snaps out of it and comes back to reality. When it happens I go and pick her up and give her a cuddle. Sometimes it's really bad though. A couple of nights this week, she's been waking me up in the night doing it. Every half an hour or so, she gets off the bed, goes downstairs or into the bathroom, and starts making this terribly sad noise. There's not much I can do besides snap her out of it and try to comfort her. The vet says we're rapidly approaching a point where I'm going to have to make a hard decision.

Over the last few years I've been through some terrible shit with my mental health. Frida has always been there for me and has been a source of great comfort. Proper emotional support kitty. In the last six months I've been having physical symptoms which doctors have been unable to satisfactorily explain, despite my considerable efforts to get them to do so. I've come to a point now where everything in my life seems to be going to shit; I feel awful all the fucking time, I'm not able to get any music done or even make much impact on small personal goals. I'm increasingly isolated and struggling to get out of the house because of my health. My relationship of four years came to an end. Now my best mate (my oldest pal and matey - oooooooold skip) is falling apart and there's not really anything I can do to help her. I just feel like my entire life is circling the plughole and anything that was good or worthwhile is behind me. What a fucking load of old shit, eh?