Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:49:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I STILL FUCKING LOVE CATS

Started by Cerys, May 25, 2019, 12:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Thanks again everyone. Its the first night without him just being around. I really do not grief or emotions very well, I don't know what if I feel is right or what i'm meant to be feel or even what it is I am feeling but I do know I find myself just tearing up whilst also feeling quite empty and numb. The problem is I'm like this anyway, how are naturally sensitive and/or emotionally confused/uncontrolled people meant to grieve and process loss? I do not know. Good god I would never want to see a family member die and have to deal wkth that, how do people do that?

I feel guilty every time I cough or speak or fart or laugh, as if that is getting in the way of the sadness I should be feeling.

Anyway, he is buried now and he looked peaceful as he did, his eyes and mouth closed after death and he is resting on his favourite bag and buried in a garden. I think I am going to find a photo of him and frame it, put it on the wall, perhaps a collage.

Tl;dr cat dead, me sad.

shiftwork2

QuoteAnyway, he is buried now and he looked peaceful as he did, his eyes and mouth closed after death and he is resting on his favourite bag and buried in a garden.

Really glad to hear you got the chance to do this.

I wish you and your departed friend much peace.

tao of wub

Hello bgmnts.  I hope you don't mind me saying this.  There is no right or wrong way about how you are feeling.  Sensitive people will go into a numb shock with grief and then get some PTSD.  You just need some time.

It is very normal to feel detached and empty one minute, then find emotions bubbling out uncontrollably, all mixed together, the happy and the sad.  Lots of odd things might bring out unexpected feelings.  Feeling guilty is normal too but all this will become sorted out with a bit of time.

There is 100% nothing wrong in letting go of the traumatic experience you have had, these are a strong memory right now, but you have no reason to make yourself feel bad.

You clearly loved your boy so much and he must have shared a wonderful life with you, so you deserve to keep hold of those joyful times.  Every happy purr and every sunbeam lounged in.

There is nothing wrong with allowing yourself to feel the sadness of something great lost, but with time you will also be able to think of him with a pure smile at all the happiness you gave each other.

Barry Admin

Hope you're okay man. This guy is like a part of me; follows me everywhere. I just hope you're coping okay, I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

Edit: I didn't see there was a new page. That's good you have that part done and it's good to hear from you.

Let it all come naturally. Your brain knows best, let it do the work.
There's front-end processing to be done, but wait for it, don't force it.
Try to ride it as best you can and let the boys out back do the heavy lifting.
You'll just find yourself suddenly bawling your eyes out during "the one show" or it'll be drip fed to you through dreams. You'll find yourself waking up and having an episode.

If you can't deal in the waking hours, get fucked up. Give yourself a much longer leash than you normally would in that regard.
Give your brain more waking playtime so that it can work harder during downtime.
It's all going on in the background. You're not in control, and that's a good thing.

Marner and Me

My partners cat has just gone, Rory was rumoured to be between 13-15, he had a big tumour on the side of his face. That was affecting his breathing and eating. It was just getting worse and worse. When he was healthy he seemed like every other cat, liked being stroked then would slash you if you didn't stroke him correctly.

Anyway I have told her she'll feel upset and when the time is right you will go to the rehoming centre and find a new cat. She doesn't think so. I have told her in my life time we are onto our 3rd and 4th dogs, sadly these things happen.

shiftwork2

easytarget

Over the last couple of days I cut the cat's nails. I had to wait until she was asleep then gently take her paw, squeeze the claws out, cut one, then absorb her icy hate rays that said "You cut my fucking nails while I was asleep? I use those to fuck shit up! This won't fucking stand! I will do revenge on you. Right after the next 4 hours of this nap".

Flouncer

I think the last time I posted in this thread was when my lovely friend Frida was on her last legs. I ended up having to get the vet to come round and put her to sleep - I buried her in the garden and I've planted a big valerian patch there as a memorial to her. I still miss her a lot, but I have a new friend now - Audrey.

She's cool as fuck. Really gentle; never scratches or anything. Unlike Frida, who didn't seem to give a shit about hunting, she sometimes catches birds and mice - I've rescued two sparrows from her clutches recently, but the mice seem to be long deceased by the time I get a chance to intervene. She likes to bite them in half and leave half for me outside the back door. She always leaves me the arse end, which seems like a bit of an insult to be honest. She's a proper custard gannet; she loves getting high on my catnip plant. Rolls on her back and grabs it with her forelegs, chewing the leaves and biting the buds off.

I'm not in a great place at the moment and my sleep pattern is fucked. I still haven't been to bed yet; it's getting a bit silly now. It does, however, give me the opportunity to befriend the cats who come around to use the catnip in the night. These are the two main visitors.

Scaredy Cat is Audrey's friend; they nuzzle each other and play, and go on adventures together. She's really fucking anxious, though. She only let me touch her once. She usually runs off if I approach her and mostly only seems to be comfortable in my presence when Audrey is close by.

This is Grumpy Cat. He's the mardiest cat ever going - if you go anywhere near him he makes a really pathetic whingeing noise. He'll justabout tolerate being touched but he whinges to let you know he's not happy about it. I even offered him a bit of tuna in a misguided attempt to cultivate some affection towards me but he just sniffed at it and walked off. I also tried scratching behind his ears but he just went mental, leaping into the air to scratch and bite my arm. He's a tough nut to crack; even getting chonged out on catnip doesn't seem to chill him out. I still like him though.

steve98

Quote from: Flouncer on August 05, 2020, 07:42:07 AM
I think the last time I posted in this thread was when my lovely friend Frida was on her last legs. I ended up having to get the vet to come round and put her to sleep - I buried her in the garden and I've planted a big valerian patch there as a memorial to her. I still miss her a lot, but I have a new friend now - Audrey.

EDIT. Fucked it up.

steve98

(Fucked it up again.)

Nice cat Flouncer. I'm hearin' the Coronation St theme.

Flouncer

Quote from: steve98 on August 05, 2020, 08:17:07 AMNice cat Flouncer. I'm hearin' the Coronation St theme.

Thanks, she's awesome! I'm quite happy with that photo. I'm on the wrong side of the Peak District for Corrie but not far off!

Famous Mortimer

I've been fostering two cats since March, and it looks like the family I just did a Zoom meet-and-greet with is going to adopt them, maybe tomorrow. It's been a lovely experience, and if they'd liked the resident cats just a little more I'd have kept them, but they're off to occupy the laps, shoulders and hearts of two very nice people.

Attila

I've got my imgur account open, and it's International Cat Day or something. So here are some cats.

Tiny Toaster.
She had no fur when we got here except on the top of her head and a spot she couldn't reach on her back. Stress groomed it all off, as she'd been neglected by a previous owner and arrived at the cat home loaded with fleas. She likes to catch and juggle balls that are thrown to her, loves grooming her 'baby,' and is very chatty. Her latest best friend is the possessed steamer trunk I brought with me from the USA (currently protected under a bit of cheesecloth).

earlier photo, when she was still growing in her fur

Mr Whiskers, a gormless, needy baby who is an absolute prick to Tiny Toast, especially if she's getting attention. Came from the same rescue household. He's very chatty and just a big slug.

Susan Bucket, the third of our current trio, also from the same rescue group. All three came from the same house, suffering neglect. Susan lives almost exclusively on the windowsill, in a bucket. She's also chatty. Tiny Toast teases her constantly and really wants to play with her, but Susan isn't having any of it.

Mr Gus, the cat from next door, who misses my two previous cats, The Beans and Vincent. Mr Gus comes over every day to play and hang out in the garden -- and when I say to play, he beats on the door, or he sits on the hood of my car under the window and yowls until I come out and run around with him. Mr Attila recently put these dangly reflective discs on the runner bean poles in the back garden, and Gus comes over every evening to chase the prisms around the lawn.

This is Gus absolutely blottod on home-grown catnip the other week

Gus performing liturgical dance in the hedgehog party palace. We have close to 3,000 photos of Gus on the wildlife camera, on patrol in the garden.

Bonus Arthur, the very old cat from down the street. He had been living the life of Riley up til about last Christmas, as a neighbour fell in love with him, and took him in (his owner is in his 90s, so Arthur was left pretty much to other neighbours on the street looking after him. Unfortunately, the people who had taken him in were suddenly evicted, like two days before xmas last year, so Arthur is back sleeping in various people's front gardens, and getting fed by me and a couple of the other neighbours.

steve98

That's how mine started (the nip.) Wish it had ended there (vid)...

https://youtu.be/JbIPrRPOMqE

5 year on the nip (an' another 3 year on a Dreamies reduction-programme, that did FUCK ALL.)

Attila

Captain Crunch

Loving these surly cats, please keep them coming.

Historic England have been celebrating cats this weekend, worth a click for the milk thief on number five:

https://heritagecalling.com/2020/08/07/12-photos-that-show-cats-have-always-been-cats/

steve98

Quote from: Attila on August 08, 2020, 05:12:06 PM
It's a slippery slope.

It can be (and very often is.) The trick is to let the cat dream, but not let Dreamies become their master.

imitationleather

I feel a bit gutted for my cat when I see him strutting smugly with a bag of Dreamies he's just retrieved from the bin in his mouth. The disappointment when he finds out it's empty!

Attila

Tiny Toast recently became addicted to some sort of dried nothing-but-chicken chunks in a small packet so expensive you could buy a whole chicken for her at the same cost of about 20 small chunks. It's her kitty crack -- she runs to the treats box whenever we go anywhere near it, and won't eat her wet food without a few chunks sprinkled on it.

So of course the local supermarket has stopped carrying it.

It's like the Basketball Diaries now, only with a cat going through dried chicken treat withdraw instead of heroin.

Also, a long haired black cat in this heat...she's been flopped over on the kitchen floor all day.

Cerys

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Flouncer on August 05, 2020, 07:42:07 AM
She's cool as fuck. Really gentle; never scratches or anything. Unlike Frida, who didn't seem to give a shit about hunting, she sometimes catches birds and mice - I've rescued two sparrows from her clutches recently, but the mice seem to be long deceased by the time I get a chance to intervene. She likes to bite them in half and leave half for me outside the back door. She always leaves me the arse end, which seems like a bit of an insult to be honest.

I've always noticed on things that need more than one bite, they tend to eat it head first for some reason. My Dad's cats hunt rabbits and when they catch one they always start by eating the face. Like they need to destroy its identity or something. Proper serial killer shit.

I should really go take some photos of Spike & Jet Butternut for this thread with something other than my non-smart phone with no data package.

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: Cerys on August 09, 2020, 12:56:17 AM
So many lovely moggies!
I agree, all so lovely in their furriness.

But just a heads up Attila, l will be stealing Tiny Toast😄

Attila

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on August 09, 2020, 01:20:47 PM
I agree, all so lovely in their furriness.

But just a heads up Attila, l will be stealing Tiny Toast😄

Heh - she'd be easy to catnab at the moment -- this heat's been rough on a long-haired black cat. Several times today she's attempted on of her mad half hours only to flop over like a ragdoll in front of the fan.

When we got her (she was about 2 years old, Whiskers 10, and Susan Bucket 9), her original name on the paperwork was 'Blue.'

Nope. She's definitely Tiny Toast(er).
Some more photos of Mr Whiskers & Tiny because it's too hot to do anything more productive

olliebean

The main thing that comes to mind looking at all those photos of Mr Whiskers is... He knows.

Attila

Mostly what I see is

(that's a 2-3rd C brass drawer-pull fitting I've got amongst my Roman animals menegerie).

Icehaven

Quote from: Attila on August 08, 2020, 02:40:10 PM

earlier photo, when she was still growing in her fur

I am dead from love.

Attila

Quote from: icehaven on August 09, 2020, 03:12:21 PM
I am dead from love.

I've got to find the one of Vince in a similar pose, except he's looking at the camera with a 'paint me like one of your French girls' expression.

All cats here at the moment are completely wilted from the heat.

Icehaven

Quote from: Attila on August 09, 2020, 07:31:12 PM
I've got to find the one of Vince in a similar pose, except he's looking at the camera with a 'paint me like one of your French girls' expression.

All cats here at the moment are completely wilted from the heat.

Do find more, I need them.
Yeah my mum's 3 are refusing to come indoors at all at the moment, fussy buggers won't even eat inside but leaving their dinners outside just means they end up covered in flies, the awkward so-and-sos.

Flouncer

Quote from: steve98 on August 08, 2020, 03:56:11 PMThat's how mine started (the nip.) Wish it had ended there (vid)...

Cannabis abuse is a very real problem amongst the feline population.

https://youtu.be/5ealU0LM9oE

If you'd had the foresight to stick a polka backing track on there Warrior might have gone viral!