Author Topic: Off Menu (comedy podcast featuring James Acaster and Ed Gamble)  (Read 3380 times)

Re: Off Menu (comedy podcast featuring James Acaster and Ed Gamble)
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2020, 11:33:17 AM »
have to agree with an earlier poster. when they have their comedian mates on this is great but when it is some kind of foodie celeb that they don't really know it is a real snorefest. the romesh one was great. looking forward to Louie.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2020, 11:33:29 AM »
Has anyone listened to the Lolly Adefope one (apols for spelling. Am tired and bad at spelling names in general)?
Yes I have. I thought it was funny.

Utter Shit

• Snotty Bumstead
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »
have to agree with an earlier poster. when they have their comedian mates on this is great but when it is some kind of foodie celeb that they don't really know it is a real snorefest. the romesh one was great. looking forward to Louie.

Broadly agree, but I thought the Jay Rayner one was good as he was really happy to send himself up. Up there with Serge from Kasabian and Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen in the "don't judge a book by it's cover" stakes, Rayner looks like he would be an enormous twat but always seems alright.

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2020, 06:47:25 PM »
Have downloaded the Rayner one. I have heard the opinion that he is always a massive twat or really nice. I first heard he was a massive twat so that's been my default opinion but hearing him on The The One Show Show he was pretty funny and likeable. Self-effacing even.

Kitchen Cabinet is a smug-fest all round though.

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 04:14:39 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, I've been enjoying a bunch of these. And I know this will sound old hat to those who are more tapped into the podcastsphere than me (and thus probably grew sick of him years ago), but fuck Paul F. Tompkins really is in his element in a radio/podcast format. Genetically engineered to be the perfect podcast guest.

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2020, 12:23:19 PM »
just remembered the Tom Kerridge one was good too. i enjoyed his drink choice especially.

touchingcloth

• You wanna plack the rick, you ha.
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2020, 12:46:28 PM »
Broadly agree, but I thought the Jay Rayner one was good as he was really happy to send himself up. Up there with Serge from Kasabian and Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen in the "don't judge a book by it's cover" stakes, Rayner looks like he would be an enormous twat but always seems alright.

Jay Rayner’s episode was excellent, as was Grace Dent’s. There’s a really good hit rate with their guests and I haven’t found many episodes boring, and I’ve been surprised with how much I enjoyed some guests I was sure I wouldn’t, like Joe Thomas whose RHLSTP interview was shockingly bad but his Off Menu was one of my favourites.

The latest episode with Louis Theroux is amazingly good. I’ve never heard that side of Louis before, he spoke a lot about his family life but it also turns out he’s got this great surreal sense of humour.

touchingcloth

• You wanna plack the rick, you ha.
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2020, 01:55:16 PM »
That's what specifically annoyed me, it was like The Ironic Review, she was so fucking proud of her plain tastes.

I enjoyed her episode when I first heard it, and I definitely remember her having deliberately bad taste, but on a second listen it was less bad than I remembered it. I think like Ed and James I was so horrified at the choice of a ploughman’s that I didn’t take much else in, but she actually wanted a genified version of it, so the best possible version of a ploughman’s. Still an awful choice, but less so than my initial reaction.

Tags: