Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:36:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst charting song by a Britpop era band

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, May 25, 2019, 03:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidnightShambler

Yeah, imagine a load of people being unified by listening to something that reminds them of their youth. Must be fucking excruciating to see.

It's amazing how ageing seems an alien concept to a lot of people.

It was largely a load of old shit though. Not that I wasn't drunkenly swaying along here & there, but it's not like reliving the golden age of Motown or attending a Pink Floyd reformation.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Quote on May 27, 2019, 01:56:31 PM
It was largely a load of old shit though. Not that I wasn't drunkenly swaying along here & there, but it's not like reliving the golden age of Motown or attending a Pink Floyd reformation.

Yeah but those people couldn't give a fuck about the golden age of Motown or Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd were DadRock when I was a teenager in the 90s, Just like people who were 16 in 1977 couldn't have given a fuck about the Beatles.

Those fellas will probably never listen to The Charlatans or The Verve at home any more, they will more than likely have moved on too. But that was their golden age, like it or not.

There's was a goth party on in my local the other night, one of them was moving to Australia so there was about 200 twentysomethings and teenagers in the place, all dressed in the uniform. When things like My Chemical Romance came on, they were all singing along, you could here it from the other room. Now, I thought all that stuff was fucking terrible and cringey at the time but there you are. If you asked them to go to a Motown gig or a cradle of filth reunion in twenty years, which one do you think they would pick?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 27, 2019, 01:25:25 PM
The Day We Caught The Train was Weller Dad Rock poison.
i forgot the verse is basically just lifted from I Am The Walrus

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Neomod on May 27, 2019, 02:56:34 AM
I think I bought this from the Camden Record and Tape Exchange 50p bin.

Played it once

Straight in the Neomod Towers bin.

Kinky Machine Shockaholic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv34D7HOTdw

I blame both Liam and Damon for that winey vocal tick that infested so much britpop landfill.

God, that honks! Sounds like a Grange Hill school band.

Quote from: MidnightShambler on May 27, 2019, 02:13:10 PM
Yeah but those people couldn't give a fuck about the golden age of Motown or Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd were DadRock when I was a teenager in the 90s, Just like people who were 16 in 1977 couldn't have given a fuck about the Beatles.

Those fellas will probably never listen to The Charlatans or The Verve at home any more, they will more than likely have moved on too. But that was their golden age, like it or not.

There's was a goth party on in my local the other night, one of them was moving to Australia so there was about 200 twentysomethings and teenagers in the place, all dressed in the uniform. When things like My Chemical Romance came on, they were all singing along, you could here it from the other room. Now, I thought all that stuff was fucking terrible and cringey at the time but there you are. If you asked them to go to a Motown gig or a cradle of filth reunion in twenty years, which one do you think they would pick?

Yeah, it's just for me it was more of an embarrassing memory rather than something to celebrate. Like when I was out as a teen and you'd see a gang of middle-aged folk going off to an 80's night reliving their youth, you'd sort of snigger at them. Or when the Roses reformed and released those pics looking like a removals firm.

Suddenly, I realised it was me and my age group.

Not that you care when you're pissed up.

Brundle-Fly

I find it interesting to what nostalgic alternative music gets people up on the dancefloor at wedding receptions/big birthday bashes. I've seen A Message To You Rudy fill a dancefloor but five years later empty the marquee because it wasn't as resonant to the guests who get all gooey over Fool's Gold because they were sixteen in 1990.

purlieu

I've seen a fair few things on Facebook about nostalgic '00s indie nights - playing Franz Ferdinand, CSS, The Gossip, The Strokes, Libertines and so on - so every generation will have its memories. The thought of it makes me shudder, but only because that stuff was largely the music I forced myself to put up in-between the '80s and '90s stuff at indie nights.

Chriddof

I have to say that I'd rather listen to something on Motown than half the stuff I liked as a 16 year old.

The Culture Bunker

Can remember visiting a mate in Sheffield maybe around 2002/3 and on a night out, seeing yer man from Rialto play a solo acoustic gig to about 15 people and hawking some kind of self-released album around the sparse audience afterwards. I refrained from saying "weren't you on Never Mind the Buzzcocks once?"

Saw the Donnas around 1998 in Monroe's, Workington (a real dive of a venue), again to a crowd that would have struggled to be enough for a football game. They were mercifully very sweet about my own band's pathetic attempts at chatting them up (well, they were only two or so years older than us), and I was surprised to see they were still going ten years later.

All of this has just brought to mind Daisy Chainsaw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qiXPpwtCxA

Not that I'm particularly nominating them for a place in this thread, just wanted to mention them.  KatieJane Garside... schwiiing.

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 27, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
Can remember visiting a mate in Sheffield maybe around 2002/3 and on a night out, seeing yer man from Rialto play a solo acoustic gig to about 15 people and hawking some kind of self-released album around the sparse audience afterwards. I refrained from saying "weren't you on Never Mind the Buzzcocks once?"

Bloody hell, I think I was one of the 15. I only have a very vague recollection of it but I think I and a mate from work went because we'd quite liked Rialto's two charting singles. Don't think I bought the album though.

i also saw Cook Da Books supporting the Undertones in 1983, a night I remember very well because an elderly woman who lived quite near me got murdered  and I was questioned by the police a couple of days later. They turned up at my parents' place while I was having a shit.But I digress. Haven't the slightest recollection what CDB were like.

Spoon of Ploff

May I present Maidstone's finest: Airhead

https://youtu.be/frNsD1ktDlk

Although they're more of a proto(zoa)-Britpop compo this thread reminded me of them. And for that I think you need to be reminded of them too.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on May 27, 2019, 03:23:22 PM

I think you'll find Maidstone's finest are Chicory Tip.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 27, 2019, 03:26:50 PM
I think you'll find Maidstone's finest are Chicory Tip.

My ears stand corrected.

Neomod

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on May 27, 2019, 03:23:22 PM

https://youtu.be/frNsD1ktDlk

Although they're more of a proto(zoa)-Britpop compo this thread reminded me of them. And for that I think you need to be reminded of them too.

Funny How came out in 92 and Modern Life is Rubbish came out in 93 and so this time i'll allow it1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Zfcq6cq2g

1. they really were the arse end of baggy though weren't they. Look at them bowl cuts

Dr Rock

I think they just wanted to be an indie-pop band, not really baggy. I declare an interest cos I'm from Maidstone and knew them all when they were still called Jefferson Airhead. Great bunch of lads honest. Singer's ex-wife is one of my oldest friends. Yeah, act impressed.

hummingofevil

Quote from: MidnightShambler on May 27, 2019, 01:45:04 PM
Yeah, imagine a load of people being unified by listening to something that reminds them of their youth. Must be fucking excruciating to see.

It's amazing how ageing seems an alien concept to a lot of people.

Remember in 2001 when Kylie released Can't Get You Out Of My Head and everyone had a collective meltdown about how someone so old could be so good looking? "But look at her arse!" they cried "and her face... but especially her arse... what time-denying elixir has been imbibed to enable this femme, so longevous in years and venerable in nu-disco to reach such a level of time-defying irrésistibility?"

Kylie was 32 years old in 2001. Most of the pop stars the country was leching over were still awaiting their GCSE results. Not everything was better before 9/11.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 27, 2019, 03:44:44 PM
I think they just wanted to be an indie-pop band, not really baggy. I declare an interest cos I'm from Maidstone and knew them all when they were still called Jefferson Airhead. Great bunch of lads honest. Singer's ex-wife is one of my oldest friends. Yeah, act impressed.

Did you use to know the Popinjays, too? Didn't Airhead end up becoming the Popinjays' rhythm section?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Jockice on May 27, 2019, 03:20:54 PM
Bloody hell, I think I was one of the 15. I only have a very vague recollection of it but I think I and a mate from work went because we'd quite liked Rialto's two charting singles. Don't think I bought the album though.
Rialto bloke can maybe take some solace that it was a bigger crowd than when same friend dragged me to see Reni do a gig around the same time. Must have been around ten, of which one was Rowetta.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 27, 2019, 04:10:28 PM
Did you use to know the Popinjays, too? Didn't Airhead end up becoming the Popinjays' rhythm section?

Don't know the Popinjays personally but yes the lovely Kesteven brothers from Airhead apparently did do that.

imitationleather

Quote from: purlieu on May 27, 2019, 02:47:03 PM
I've seen a fair few things on Facebook about nostalgic '00s indie nights - playing Franz Ferdinand, CSS, The Gossip, The Strokes, Libertines and so on - so every generation will have its memories. The thought of it makes me shudder, but only because that stuff was largely the music I forced myself to put up in-between the '80s and '90s stuff at indie nights.

I was very much into that stuff at the time but going to a night of it now? Nooooooo!

phes

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 27, 2019, 04:14:50 PM
Rialto bloke can maybe take some solace that it was a bigger crowd than when same friend dragged me to see Reni do a gig around the same time. Must have been around ten, of which one was Rowetta.

On attendance disasters: Whiteout, 1995 ish. Me and two friends, along with about three other people were the only paying guests in the audience in a 400 capacity venue. They played on. It was awkward

sevendaughters

The first song that came to mind is slightly better than some of the truly awful efforts upthread but nonetheless The Nilon Bombers and their song 'Superstar' felt like a death gurgle when I saw this on The Big Breakfast at age 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtMiwuWkU4M

ajsmith2

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 27, 2019, 05:39:28 PM
The first song that came to mind is slightly better than some of the truly awful efforts upthread but nonetheless The Nilon Bombers and their song 'Superstar' felt like a death gurgle when I saw this on The Big Breakfast at age 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtMiwuWkU4M

Richey Manic's collaboration with Sice of the Boo Radleys. Great song.

PaulTMA

I had a jacket with The Jam's Greatest Hits in a pocket stolen from me backstage at a Whiteout / Supernaturals gig in 1996.   That's well Britpop

Brundle-Fly

Never happened for Octopus did it? Saw them live at their album launch at Camden Underworld in 1997.  There was such a record company push on them but everybody shrugged. You'd always see piles of their digipack CD singles in the 50p bargain bin at Record & Tape Exchanges. I wouldn't say they were terrible and they had an ear for a melody but just arrived too late on the scene possibly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2-1sW8AJp8

the science eel

No - they were Terry Bell of Terrible Terrace, Ter-i-Bel

Brundle-Fly

Just been listening to them.

Fair enough.

Icehaven

Quote from: phes on May 27, 2019, 05:13:56 PM
On attendance disasters: Whiteout, 1995 ish. Me and two friends, along with about three other people were the only paying guests in the audience in a 400 capacity venue. They played on. It was awkward

I have one, about 1998 or 9ish, also/never rans Lower, me and two friends and zero other people in The Varsity in Wolverhampton. To their credit they invited all three of us backstage afterwards, gave us free stuff (and not even any VD) and along with their manager quizzed us about what had made us come to the gig and what we liked/didn't like etc., basically focus grouped us. Went to see them again in their native Manchester a few months later and the turnout was marginally but not much better. The guitarist nicked a cigarette off me.