Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:55:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst charting song by a Britpop era band

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, May 25, 2019, 03:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Phil_A on May 25, 2019, 08:02:38 PMNo amount of nostalgia could make this song sound good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtAunxgEP_k

When I first heard that I thought it represented the very arse-end of Britpop... and then had to revise my opinion just five minutes later:

https://youtu.be/P3WTYsIliRk

They couldn't even be arsed to write a proper chorus...

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 02, 2019, 10:56:01 PM
I'd never heard Columbia before and I'm struggling to understand what the big deal about it is.

It's not an outstanding piece of music or anything - it's an Oasis song - but it does encapsulate the churning, scuzzy swagger of their early sound. They lacked the invention to create a truly psychedelic-sounding record, they were always far too conservative for that, but Columbia comes fairly close in that it sounds like a bunch of stoned young dudes in a garage happily jamming around an hypnotic, repetitive chord sequence. It's big, stupid and fun, as opposed to big, stupid and boring (see Be Here Now et al). 

I remember an interview with Noel after Alan White joined, there was a soundbite in it that went something like "Alan White, he's alright". Really ladling on the praise there Noel.

Phil_A

I feel a bit to mention this because I quite like the ethereal warblings of Ms Julianne Regan, but I suspect this 1996 bid for Britpop glory was a bit...ill-advised. Also I'm not sure the single actually charted, so it probably doesn't count for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn8Sz501sBA&list=PLGxUJmoO9U0z659EZvDKS5q9H4safb0Qh

Track 6 is quite good.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 03, 2019, 08:10:16 PM
I remember an interview with Noel after Alan White joined, there was a soundbite in it that went something like "Alan White, he's alright". Really ladling on the praise there Noel.

To be fair to old Noelypops, that comment is typical of the amount of half-arsed praise he's ever 'lavished' on any musician who isn't lucky enough to be him or one of his heroes. He's nothing if not consistent.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: sweeper on June 03, 2019, 10:37:35 AM

Just did a quick edit to make the central argument of your post clearer.

You're welcome.

Chriddof

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 03, 2019, 07:47:39 PM
When I first heard that I thought it represented the very arse-end of Britpop... and then had to revise my opinion just five minutes later:

https://youtu.be/P3WTYsIliRk

They couldn't even be arsed to write a proper chorus...

I've not heard of that band before, but I don't think you can really call that Britpop as such - it's a bit closer to some kind of unevolved late 80s C86-esque throwback, only with better (i.e. standard due to rapidly improving technology) 2000s production. They seem to have started in 1990 and stayed very close to their shambling indie roots from the sounds of things: http://www.cloudberryrecords.com/blog/?p=67

holyzombiejesus

Did the lounge revival happen at the same time as Britpop? There seemed to be a bit of overlap and not just that Mike Flowers single.

Neomod

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 03, 2019, 10:04:55 PM
Did the lounge revival happen at the same time as Britpop? There seemed to be a bit of overlap and not just that Mike Flowers single.

Yep, the Karminsky's were playing soundtracks/exotica at Blow Up at the Laurel Tree in 94. Then you had Club Indigo at Madame Jo Jo's (Very Lounge) and Smashing at Eve's (mixing a bit of Lounge in their playlist).

Dr Rock

And Loose! at various Camden venues, mixing easy-listening with The Stooges. That was my one.

SteveDave

Count Indigo and Mike Flowers are playing at Paper Dress this Saturday lads.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I remember it was a fair few weeks or so before I realised that Mike Flowers wasn't a new Steve Coogan character.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 04, 2019, 03:32:50 PM
I remember it was a fair few weeks or so before I realised that Mike Flowers wasn't a new Steve Coogan character.

I recall an interview with Noel Gallagher in which he related the story of how he'd been going around telling the world that Wonderwall was about Meg Matthews and when she heard the Mike Flowers Pops version, she decided that he'd ripped it entirely off some sixties easy listening record.  At that point I thought, oh Meg Matthews is as thick as she is hard-faced. 

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 30, 2019, 08:29:29 PM
Is Sweeper a former music journalist ? He writes like one, like someone who used to write for Melody Maker.

The smoking gun (emphasis added):

Quote from: sweeper on May 30, 2019, 01:23:53 PM'What the fook are you going on about? It's just music, mate, it's just a laugh.'

Quote from: sweeper on June 05, 2019, 06:43:16 PM
Ex music journalists are northern?

No but I distinctly remember writers for MM writing any dialogue between Manc band mates using "fook" instead of fuck.

sweeper

I've been known to say 'far out', time to time. Does that make me a resident of 1960s Haight Ashbury?

I suppose because I use propositions I'm fucking Bram Stoker.

hummingofevil

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on June 04, 2019, 05:13:53 PM
I recall an interview with Noel Gallagher in which he related the story of how he'd been going around telling the world that Wonderwall was about Meg Matthews and when she heard the Mike Flowers Pops version, she decided that he'd ripped it entirely off some sixties easy listening record.  At that point I thought, oh Meg Matthews is as thick as she is hard-faced.

Harsh considering he ripped of loads of other things. Easy mistake.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'll always remember the day I first heard " Whatever", and thought " Blimey, they're ripping off Neil Innes now ! "

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: sweeper on June 05, 2019, 07:14:04 PM
Damn it, where's my IPC sub-editors when I need them?
Probably off somewhere dictating our youth, I shouldn't wonder.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: sweeper on June 05, 2019, 06:43:16 PM
Ex music journalists are northern?

Only people with southern accents spell 'fuck' 'fook' because to northerners 'fuck' sounds like 'fuck' and 'fook' rhymes with 'puke' and nobody says 'fook' unless it's taking the piss.  Southerners have to write 'fook' because they think 'fuck' is pronounced 'fack'.

jobotic

Nah, fuck sounds like fuck to me and fook sounds like puke and I'm a southerner, but not a facking cockney

hummingofevil

In Newcastle fuck does not rhyme with cook or book but cook and book rhyme with puke. Mad.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on June 05, 2019, 11:41:05 PM
Only people with southern accents spell 'fuck' 'fook' because to northerners 'fuck' sounds like 'fuck' and 'fook' rhymes with 'puke' and nobody says 'fook' unless it's taking the piss.  Southerners have to write 'fook' because they think 'fuck' is pronounced 'fack'.

I read an interview with a Liverpool band once, and the journalist had written it as "fock", presumably to differentiate it from the Mancunian "fook" and the proper English "fuck". What a fockin bellend.

gilbertharding

'Fook' and 'fock' were also useful to NME and Melody Maker because they were forced to spell 'fuck' like this: f---.

sweeper

It's more like 'fork', I think.

'Fork off, mayte, I'm just being friendleh. Whereyer from? Fork off.'

gilbertharding

I've DEFINITELY seen Northerners complain that Cockneys say 'Fack'.

Anyway - this persiflage is derailing the thread, what?

The Culture Bunker

Didn't Cockney Wanker in Viz say "fack"?