Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:43:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst charting song by a Britpop era band

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, May 25, 2019, 03:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidnightShambler

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 06, 2019, 12:16:32 AM
In Newcastle fuck does not rhyme with cook or book but cook and book rhyme with puke. Mad.

It does in Liverpool too. Although 'took' doesn't rhyme with puke here, which has always struck me as inconsistent.

kalowski

Fook is very common in certain bits if northern Manchester like Bury where they also say look and cook to rhyme with puke.
Liam and Noel as Burnage boys, would not say fook m

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Bury is its own separate entity. It's not a part of northern Manchester.

kalowski

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 06, 2019, 08:44:29 PM
Bury is its own separate entity. It's not a part of northern Manchester.
Alright. Bury, Greater Manchester

hummingofevil

Quote from: MidnightShambler on June 06, 2019, 11:38:55 AM
It does in Liverpool too. Although 'took' doesn't rhyme with puke here, which has always struck me as inconsistent.

Mmm. I'm not even sure how Geordies say took. There is the ultra-broad "tak" which I hear a lot I suppose.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Phil_A on June 03, 2019, 08:15:42 PM
I feel a bit to mention this because I quite like the ethereal warblings of Ms Julianne Regan, but I suspect this 1996 bid for Britpop glory was a bit...ill-advised. Also I'm not sure the single actually charted, so it probably doesn't count for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn8Sz501sBA&list=PLGxUJmoO9U0z659EZvDKS5q9H4safb0Qh

Track 6 is quite good.

this was a couple of years after levitation blew up & before bic & the lads got together again (sans el tel & mr white) as dark star.

I'd tried to get a mate of mine the job of replacing bickers, & the band loved him, but the label wanted 'a name', & so levitation mk2 had a very brief stab at things with steve ludwin ('a name', apparently) & then folded.
bic had also wanted regan to join levitation, & so they formed mice, but it didn't last very long. I did see them live, though, & about a year after seeing the ludwin line-up of levitation at the very same venue (water rats).

the bickers version of 'meanwhile gardens' is far superior to the ludwinised version.

hummingofevil

If it needs explaining how ace Oasis were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Z-WRuQe2w

My god how I miss The Word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH3aQJj119Y

Just listen to how awesome that guitar sound sounds.

Alternatively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXo7OlOJba0

Admitedly, Nirvana sound shite compared to the others.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 07, 2019, 04:55:39 AM

My god how I miss The Word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH3aQJj119Y

Just listen to how awesome that guitar sound sounds.

Alternatively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXo7OlOJba0

Admitedly, Nirvana sound shite compared to the others.

by the time of oasis, my employers had gone bust & the show had moved to LWT, but I was in the studio for the other two. me & a mate actually went in search of captain america on the strength of kurt's tshirt, & when we got to the venue ('the venue') in new cross, were disheartened to see that they'd been pulled & the 'fabulous' austin maxi was parked in the street by the stage door. also on the bill, a band called suede that no-one liked, & midway still doing their comedy covers of MBV & stone roses songs. we also saw the 'lab on that tour, & then again a year or so later by which time kath gifford had wandered off to form her own band. on the second occasion, tim & co were blown away by the support act, pram, but the first gig was quite magical, with the girls' harmonies a lot better than on this tv appearance.

I had a bit of a thing about gifford at the time, but ended up drinking buddies with deb googe instead, around 1997-8...

https://youtu.be/IolvERzrerE?t=79

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Mr. Disorderly? I think you dropped these.
* retrieves names of various Indie rock luminaries from the butterfly net, from which the poster Lisa Jesusandmarychain had fortuitously standing under Mr. Disorderly 's post , and brandishing. *

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 07, 2019, 06:38:16 AM
Mr. Disorderly? I think you dropped these.
* retrieves name's of various Indie rock luminaries from the butterfly net, from which the poster Lisa Jesusandmarychain had fortuitously standing under Mr. Disorderly 's post , and brandishing. *

fair cop. I dated a warm jet for a while too.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, you said, mate. Was it before or after Zoe Ball had had a go on him ? ;-)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I mean to say, if you'd ever been drinking buddies with Her Who Plays Villanelle, then...

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 07, 2019, 06:48:11 AM
Yeah, you said, mate. Was it before or after Zoe Ball had had a go on him ? ;-)

ah-hah-hah.... louis was round a couple of months ago, still writing songs & doing some P&D to pay his bills. I sold him a vintage fuzz-box; he insisted on paying far more than I wanted him to. lovely bloke.
no, it was the redhead. actually, this week I tracked down a japanese edition of their album because she's on the cover of it, having been sliced off the UK version because she'd quit the band. still friends with her- she lives in BC now, where she's from, having split up with the bloke she left me for, him out of off of captain beefheart/PJ Harvey/black francis near-fame.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 07, 2019, 06:50:23 AM
I mean to say, if you'd ever been drinking buddies with Her Who Plays Villanelle, then...

if I was still working in tv drama in liverpool, our paths might've crossed... I don't think she was even born when I was there.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh, yeah, she * is* massively young ( and we're a pair of old gits  ). Mind you, she's from Liverpool, so she's probably been going into pubs since she was 9 ( only joking, if You're reading this, Her Who Plays Villanelle ! )

I know I pull your leg a bit, but I'm genuinely interested in reading your tales and anecdotes  Duncers, You're like the Indie rock David Niven. I look forward to your forthcoming volume of autobiography " The Moonshake's A Balloon ".

sweeper

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 07, 2019, 04:55:39 AM

Have to admit, I do like very early footage. But only because of their Marks and Sparks/Alan Partridge/outskirts of Maidstone clobber, which represents the true soul of the band.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Outskirts of Maidstone would be a grand old name for a band, I'm sure y'all agree. Sort of like an English version of those types clearly influenced by Pavement, folks like Trumans Water, Archers Of Loaf, that bunch.

I suppose an English tribute version band of Pavement would be called The Fall Sidewalk !!!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

( I mean , I was just putting those exclamation marks at the end of the band's name to emphasise how funny I'm being, I don't mean they'd be part of the band's name, like say, " Wire " magazine favourites Sunroof! Or someone like that. Let's just be clear on that.)

gilbertharding

OK then - thanks to this thread I now know that the singer of Kinky Machine (a band I bought two brilliant 10" singles by in 1992 but had since more or less completely forgotten) is the heir presumptive to an Earldom.

I remember seeing Oasis on the Word, one night in spring 1994. I'd heard them, of course - they'd been on a free cassette taped to the cover of NME a few weeks before. Watching them, and knowing they were hotly tipped for success (which in those days meant releasing a single which went into the top 20 for a week) we wondered if the world was really that desperate for a Woolworths Stone Roses (historical note: in 1994 you virtually had to ask your dad who the Stone Roses were: distinctly vieux chapeau).

sweeper

Personal theory: it was a knee-jerk reaction by the press to the rise of Suede and dance music, and other interesting early 90s things.

boki

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 07, 2019, 06:41:10 AM
fair cop. I dated a warm jet for a while too.
Did you dart a warm jet on the Warm Jet that you dated? IBYFD
Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 07, 2019, 08:25:34 AM
Outskirts of Maidstone would be a grand old name for a band, I'm sure y'all agree. Sort of like an English version of those types clearly influenced by Pavement, folks like Trumans Water, Archers Of Loaf, that bunch.

I'm getting more of a Ralph McTell vibe, personally.

the ouch cube

It was only Sylvia Patterson who insisted on phoneticising northern musicians as saying "fook"; silly bloody cow

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 07, 2019, 07:44:30 AM
I look forward to your forthcoming volume of autobiography " The Moonshake's A Balloon ".

I like that... I've been saving "if I'd been john carpenter" as a possible, on account of the lofi synth soundtracks being one of the things about his earlier flicks that appeals.

& we're back to dark star somehow.

Funcrusher

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 07, 2019, 10:48:11 PM
'If I Were John Carpenter', surely?

that was going to be my covers album; the autobiography is a slightly tweaked version of it to reflect its retrospective nature.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: the ouch cube on June 07, 2019, 10:36:15 PM
It was only Sylvia Patterson who insisted on phoneticising northern musicians as saying "fook"; silly bloody cow

This post really made me laugh. It's even funnier if you imagine the late Felix Bowness saying it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Chriddof on May 27, 2019, 07:24:53 AM
Kinky Machine later turned into Rialto, whose one hit was Monday Morning 5:19. (That's not the record cover in the video.) Lyrics seem to be the product of someone catastrophizing at the very least. The string section in this was overseen by Anne Dudley of The Art Of Noise, I believe. Of particular interest to members of this forum is the B-side Little Comedian, which given the lyrics, music scene, and time period suggest it may have been about a certain someone that this forum talks a lot about.

Out of interest, who do you think Little Comedian is about? (as I can't work it out, and my only guess is that it could be Richard Herring?)

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I liked Gene, I don't think they're on this thread, which is good.

They get a Where Are They Now? in the new Q, in which Martin vehemently says they won't do a reunion. One of the others mentions that Shed 7 now seem to be bigger than ever.

Chriddof

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 09, 2019, 04:19:54 PM
Out of interest, who do you think Little Comedian is about? (as I can't work it out, and my only guess is that it could be Richard Herring?)

Sorry, didn't see this until now. I may be completely wrong about this, but I had a hunch it might have been about a pre-success Gervais, what with some of the lyrics and the way the dates just about tally (he started his comedy career around the mid-nineties, the B-side came out in 1996). Also I recall an anecdote told by... someone I can't remember, where Robin Ince took one of his former indie musician friends along backstage to a big mid-2000s Gervais stand up show (said musician was left unnamed in the telling), and whoever it was ripped into Gervais when he met him after the show, continually referring to him as "Dick". Admittedly it could also be about any number of then-more successful mid 90s comedians...