Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:26:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GOTY 2019 (Halfway Point)

Started by The Boston Crab, May 25, 2019, 05:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 06, 2019, 09:45:44 AM
The feeling I got - doubtless wrong - is that they ran out of time to complete it properly.

I'm almost certain that this is quite literally what happened.  There's enough indicators there.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 06, 2019, 08:45:23 PM
I'm almost certain that this is quite literally what happened.  There's enough indicators there.
Glad it's not just me. And it's a shame, as a lot of playing through the "A" scenario was superb.

Thursday

On the other side though, I'm sure I saw a reviewer criticising the B-scenarios and getting flak from fanboys saying he must have not done it properly or something.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Thursday on June 07, 2019, 05:51:27 PM
On the other side though, I'm sure I saw a reviewer criticising the B-scenarios and getting flak from fanboys saying he must have not done it properly or something.

I think that a lot of people were so keen to like it, that they overlooked its flaws and fooled themselves into thinking that it was masterpiece.  Time will not be on their side, I feel.

I knew that even without playing it. Desperate wankers. I'm the same with every AnCo album for the last ten years.

Thursday

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 07, 2019, 06:06:48 PM
I think that a lot of people were so keen to like it, that they overlooked its flaws and fooled themselves into thinking that it was masterpiece.  Time will not be on their side, I feel.

Honestly, I really did enjoy my first time through it as Leon, then I played through again as Claire and thought "hmm well that was a little bit disappointing" But I still enjoyed it a lot. I've basically no memory of the B scenarios though, to the point that I'm starting to question if I actually did play through it on both characters.

If someone picks it up when it's cheap and only plays through one scenario, they'll have a great time.

Junglist

Observation, Outer Wilds and A Plague Tale: Innocence so far.

It will be Borderlands 3, however.

Does the second scenario of REma2e perfectly cancel out the first scenario so its like you just never played it!

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 07, 2019, 08:35:09 PM
Does the second scenario of REma2e perfectly cancel out the first scenario so its like you just never played it!

It does, but not completely.  Some things act as though you're playing alongside the A scenario but then you'll also be solving a lot of the same puzzles and fighting the same bosses.  I know that the original game was that way too but it feels a lot more clunky here and if rumours are to be believed, then that's the result of Capcom shoving in a B scenario at the 11th hour.

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 07, 2019, 10:23:23 PM
shoving in a B scenario at the 11th hour.

Is what I call accidentally analizing my wife :(

Moribunderast

I'm not sure the repetitive 'B' scenario is worth holding against REmake 2 given how great the 'A' scenario is. I stopped playing the 'B' scenario as Claire because I couldn't be arsed dealing with Mr. X a second time but the 'A' is still the 2nd best game I've played all year. Sekiro still gets the nod as the best.

Looking forward to Plague Tale: Innocence but am waiting for a price drop. Couple of indies I've bought but haven't had a chance to play yet could get a look-in as well.

Does seem like a weaker year in game releases than the previous few. I think stuff like Metro Exodus and Days Gone releasing to relative ambivalence has hurt and there doesn't seem to have been a standout indie that I can remember thus far. Was DMC 5 any good?

Got hopes for Last Of Us 2, Outer Worlds, Code Vein and Bloodstained but not sure any of those threaten to be as good as my favourite games of the last few years.

biggytitbo

I reckon Control will be very good. There was a brilliant game buried inside Quantum Break and this looks like it might be it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Moribunderast on June 08, 2019, 09:39:12 AM
I'm not sure the repetitive 'B' scenario is worth holding against REmake 2 given how great the 'A' scenario is. I stopped playing the 'B' scenario as Claire because I couldn't be arsed dealing with Mr. X a second time...

That's one of my main complaints with the remake; Mr. X was exclusive to the B scenario in the original game, as he should have been in the remake.  Him cropping up within both scenarios was overkill and ultimately lessened his impact.  I just ended up getting annoyed with him by the end of the game and that should never be the case with Mr. X.  He should be terrifying, which he would have been, had he been exclusive to scenario B.

BRen

World of Warcraft Classic when it gets released in August.

chveik

bgmnts

Just started Metro Exodus,  it has a good leg up in the GotY stakes considering its two predecessors are two of my favourite games ever made because they're fucking world class.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on June 11, 2019, 07:42:55 PM
Just started Metro Exodus,  it has a good leg up in the GotY stakes considering its two predecessors are two of my favourite games ever made because they're fucking world class.

I got that Metro Redux 2-in-1 package a while back. Gave up on Metro 2033 early on because it had one of those silly little things that mean you won't like a game, namely that it kept switching seamlessly between the action and the cut scenes and I found that too jarring and annoying to persevere. Is First Light any better?

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 11, 2019, 11:31:43 PM
I got that Metro Redux 2-in-1 package a while back. Gave up on Metro 2033 early on because it had one of those silly little things that mean you won't like a game, namely that it kept switching seamlessly between the action and the cut scenes and I found that too jarring and annoying to persevere. Is First Light any better?

I personally LOVE that. CG cutscenes can get to fuck.

It's all about the gameplay and setting for me. Is First Light any better in terms of seamless transition from gameplay to cutscene? Not really. It definitely adds on to the original though with even more mechanics and a very interesting story.

Exodus flips everything on it's head.

kidney

gonna cheat and go with Kenshi which was released at the bum-end of last year, racked up over 400 hours on that badboy from January to April

BeardFaceMan

Is anyone else playing Exodus on the PC with the Xbox Ultimate Game Pass? Because I can't get the fucker to start. My Xbox shat the bed this week so I can only play on a PC so this is a bit of a pisser.

bgmnts

I'm playing it on Xbox and it's working perfectly.

Shows what a total CLONK this year has been for games. There's only been about three games mentioned in the thread and two were in the OP.

Blue Jam

Been playing Metro Exodus on Game Pass, found it boring as bollocks, sorry. It's just not for me...

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 08, 2019, 02:08:07 PM
I reckon Control will be very good. There was a brilliant game buried inside Quantum Break and this looks like it might be it.

...and I've also been just finished Quantum Break and I know what you mean. I say "finished"- I gave up after numerous attempts at that fucking final boss battle. It wasn't that attack that could kill you in one shot, it was mainly the clunky movement- and what's with not being able to crouch? Even Aiden Gillen as a hawt bastard couldn't spur me on towards the finish line.

I mostly really enjoyed it though, especially the Deus Ex-ness of it. If Control has more satisfying combat, maybe a bit of stealth as well as better movement, then my hopes will be high.

shh

I hardly play any new games on account of stinginess. However, Void Bastards.

Blue Jam

Quote from: shh on August 08, 2019, 08:21:58 PM
I hardly play any new games on account of stinginess. However, Void Bastards.

Oh that sounds lovely... and on Game Pass too? Downloading now, cheers!

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 08, 2019, 07:25:24 PM
Been playing Metro Exodus on Game Pass, found it boring as bollocks, sorry. It's just not for me...

The first two Metro games are probably the best first person shooters of the past 10 years and are two my favourites and I didn't really like Exodus either.

I got a bit bored of Void Bastards

Blue Jam

Heheheh- I have noted many times before that my taste in games is the same as Biggy's and the opposite of TBC's, so I think you may be in Camp Boston here.

Going to give Void Bastards a go tonight--for all the comparisons wtth Bioshock and System Shock, it sounds more like Prey:Mooncrash meets The Stanley Parable to me so I'm looking forward to it....

madhair60

Bullshit answer probably Contra Anniversary Collection.

In truth for me it's likely Crash Team Racing Re-Microtransactioned, played that a heap. Liking Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 on local co-op with my bestie tho.

To answer definitively, it's Black Ops 4 again

biggytitbo

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 09, 2019, 10:55:44 AM
Heheheh- I have noted many times before that my taste in games is the same as Biggy's and the opposite of TBC's, so I think you may be in Camp Boston here.

Going to give Void Bastards a go tonight--for all the comparisons wtth Bioshock and System Shock, it sounds more like Prey:Mooncrash meets The Stanley Parable to me so I'm looking forward to it....

You ought to give Vampyr a look if you haven't already. Despite initial impressions that the voice acting and writing were inept it really grew on me by the end, lovely environments and thick atmosphere of foggy London streets coupled with solid Prey/Deus Ex style gameplay - skill trees and branching paths etc is a winner. Would be quite derivative but it has a morality system which gives it its own feel - you can give in to your vampire instincts and become more powerful, which makes the game easier but the outcomes worse, or be restrained and get a better ending but a much harder game. Obviously made on a limited budget but excellent despite its flaws.