Author Topic: GOTY 2019 (Halfway Point)  (Read 3244 times)

Blue Jam

• Spunky McFuckface
Re: GOTY 2019 (Halfway Point)
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2019, 04:53:24 PM »
You ought to give Vampyr a look if you haven't already.

Also on Game Pass, cheers Biggy!

While you're here, did you ever complete Quantum Break?

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2019, 05:00:52 PM »
Prey/Deus Ex style gameplay? Lost me there.

biggytitbo

• WHAT ABOUT THE GODDAM JAFFA CAKES ASSWIPE
    • theunredacted
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2019, 05:13:34 PM »
Also on Game Pass, cheers Biggy!

While you're here, did you ever complete Quantum Break?

No! I got stuck on a boss aswell, which I think ws also Aidan Gillen nearish the end of the game. I was quite enjoying it up to that point too, but that particularly boss battle wasn't so much difficult as just annoying.

Blue Jam

• Spunky McFuckface
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2019, 05:26:07 PM »
No! I got stuck on a boss aswell, which I think ws also Aidan Gillen nearish the end of the game. I was quite enjoying it up to that point too, but that particularly boss battle wasn't so much difficult as just annoying.

"BETTER NOT, JACK..."

Prey/Deus Ex style gameplay? Lost me there.

...like all those "cookie-cutter" games Bosto hates? Sounds right up my street...

Bosto, do you like Vampyr?

biggytitbo

• theunredacted
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2019, 06:12:26 PM »
A GOTY contender for me is a real old one - LA Noire, finally got round to playing the remaster on PS4. Its a real slow burner but once that game gets its hooks into you it is really immersive and gripping, and the acting and plot are like the opposite of Vampyr in terms of quality, really stellar stuff in video game terms.

Resident Evil 2 as well, as long as it is in the Police Station is consistently brilliant.

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2019, 10:13:34 AM »

Bosto, do you like Vampyr?

Not tried it yet but I downloaded it off Game Pass. I've heard it's got some really interesting, flawed ideas and it's a bit janky, both of which appeal.

A big part of my lack of interest in the Dishonored/Prey/Deus Ex/Bioshock/Alien Isolation kind of thing is that I don't really like first person games very much. I struggle to get invested in them when I can't see the character, even though I know that first person is supposed to be immersive with the silent protagonist and all (often). Boring more general point, I very rarely find the silent protagonist thing immersive, almost ever. The big exceptions for me would be Metroid Prime and HL2, but I played them over a decade ago, and it's still very hard for anything else to follow in their wake, either in terms of gameplay or immersion. The only other exceptions would be pure walking sims like Firewatch and Edith Finch. Not sure why I find them more interesting than Dishonored et al but I think it's the relative lack of gameplay which allows me to get invested.

Aside from the story-driven stuff, I've also never taken to FPS at all. I play a bit of Battlefield and Destiny but without any commitment. They're games for a quick blast rather than something to grind away at for hours. I just don't buzz off that kind of thing at all, and I'm pretty shit at them, as well. I was never one for Doom or Quake back in the day and despite buying the 2016 Doom on three formats (always for fuck all in sales), I've never got past the second area. I find it hard to control and stiff. I'm too conscious that I'm just moving a camera around. Anyway, that's another reason why I don't have any interest in the genre you and biggy really enjoy. I know I'm missing out but I don't enjoy the combat or find them immersive enough to get into the story.

Zetetic

• Burying isn't the same as killing.
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2019, 10:16:30 AM »
A big part of my lack of interest in the Dishonored/Prey/Deus Ex/Bioshock/Alien Isolation kind of thing… Boring more general point, I very rarely find the silent protagonist thing immersive, almost ever. … The only other exceptions would be pure walking sims like Firewatch and Edith Finch.
I don't think any of these have silent protagonists, incidentally.

This would possibly improve some of them, come to think of it. Arguably the worst story-parts of Dishonored are how dull the main-game-series protoganists are when they open their mouths.

Zetetic

• Burying isn't the same as killing.
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2019, 10:25:26 AM »
I suspect in a lot of those cases, the first-person perspective isn't meant to be "immersive" in that it's really meant to encourage self-other merging or whatever. What it is meant to do is limit player awareness in a particular way (arguably to an unrealistic extent).

Alien Isolation and other horror-ish games, maybe.

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2019, 10:48:23 AM »
OK they're just fuckin shit then

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2019, 06:10:12 PM »
Nah they're all ace.

Although the idea of immersion in video games is stupid.

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2019, 09:42:54 PM »
That's the stupidest thing I've read in a decade

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2019, 09:54:05 PM »
Nah there's fuck all immersive bout a video game.

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2019, 09:54:59 PM »
Get a imaginations buddy

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2019, 10:12:21 PM »
Don't need one, I can just play video games. Ha!

biggytitbo

• theunredacted
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2019, 10:30:20 PM »
Nah there's fuck all immersive bout a video game.

All good video games are immersive, even a super primate speccy game with monochrome graphics. Once you adjust to the world it creates you're in.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2019, 12:29:30 PM »
Went to buy Halfway Point but they were sold out :(

EDIT- should've read thread, first fucking reply

My nomination is "Halfway Point" from GOTY.