Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:56:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me a microphone for recording ambience, sound effects & foley

Started by hedgehog90, May 26, 2019, 03:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog90

Is this an oscillations or a technology thread? I wasn't sure so I flipped a coin. Also figured I'd get more tech savvy advice here.

I'd like to continue making animations, but one of the least enjoyable aspects of it is the sound-editing stage, or more specifically, finding decent sound effects online.
For my last thing I ended up downloaded several hundred sound effects & dozens of soundpacks, using only around 10% of what I found, usually for the most basic, easily obtainable sound effects if I could only record them myself - footsteps, a knock or a bang, the sound of water being swooshed around in a sink, a dinner plate being placed on a work-surface, a rattling door, etc.
The time it takes to find these basic sound effects with search terms far exceeds the amount of time it would take for me to go around my home with a mic & a shopping list of sounds I need, recording multiple takes and editing them myself.
If I could just find some way to sweeten this incredibly tedious and thankless task, then I'll be happy.

So I want a microphone but I don't know where to start.
What kind of microphone is best suited for my needs? Obviously I'll need something portable which records onto a micro sd card. Or is there maybe some way of connecting it with my phone? Do I want a stereo mic?
I don't need anything too fancy, something in the £50-80 range if that's possible, I don't mind if it's refurbished.

If someone with experience in this area could give me a few pointers or recommend me a few models it'd be much appreciated.

Tah.

a duncandisorderly

chveik

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 26, 2019, 03:58:33 PM
Is this an oscillations or a technology thread? I wasn't sure so I flipped a coin. Also figured I'd get more tech savvy advice here.

seems like all these threads are moved to Oscillations now.

Twed

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 26, 2019, 04:16:04 PM
these are good. I've got one of the next model up which has some esoteric functions, but this base model is probably going to do you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tascam-DR-05-quality-handeld-recorder/dp/B00LU8K790/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=stereo+recorder&qid=1558883698&s=gateway&sr=8-5
It's funny, even though I have no experience with mics and recording and AV in general, I knew the answer would be this. I've seen it before and it just looks field recordery.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Twed on May 26, 2019, 05:09:35 PM
It's funny, even though I have no experience with mics and recording and AV in general, I knew the answer would be this. I've seen it before and it just looks field recordery.

I've literally dozens of ways of recording audio when the muse visits, & this thing (the DR-40 is the one I have) is the first thing I grab. my place is full of tape-decks, but this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tascam-DR-40-4-Track-handeld-recorder/dp/B005NACC6M/ref=sr_1_3?crid=KQI3R8TFL4GJ&keywords=tascam+dr-40&qid=1558888927&s=gateway&sprefix=tascam+%2Caps%2C131&sr=8-3

hedgehog90

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 26, 2019, 04:16:04 PM
these are good. I've got one of the next model up which has some esoteric functions, but this base model is probably going to do you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tascam-DR-05-quality-handeld-recorder/dp/B00LU8K790/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=stereo+recorder&qid=1558883698&s=gateway&sr=8-5

I was just waiting for someone to recommend that model so I've just went ahead and blagged one on ebay that - if the seller is to be trusted - has only received light use.
Also was waiting for your opinion in particular, Duncan, so tah :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223530212375

For capturing sounds in the perfect spot I'll probably want a stand, right? Or can I get away with holding it carefully without my hands getting picked up on the recording?
I've got no plans for using it outside, but I'll need a windshield for that I assume. Would you recommend a pop-shield for usage indoors?

Twed

QDRPHNC

I got me one of these:

Should you get you one of those? I don't know, I mostly use it for quickly digitizing analogue shit.

a duncandisorderly

I suspect they're all much the same inside, these things- zoom, edirol, marantz, tascam, phiilips.... I bet they all use the same chipset & mic capsules, & they're all chinese really.

there's not much handling noise from mine, but a stand is a good idea, & some sort of muffly thing for outdoors.

A stand would bea good idea, espcially if the creation of the sound involved you performing an action.

Twed

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 27, 2019, 09:57:37 PM
I suspect they're all much the same inside, these things- zoom, edirol, marantz, tascam, phiilips.... I bet they all use the same chipset & mic capsules, & they're all chinese really.
Hm, the unit I bought was definitely a lot cheaper-feeling than I expected. It's nice, but I always thought it would be a more boutique piece of kit when I saw pictures. Don't know what I expected for $120 though.

Sebastian Cobb

Most of them take camera mounts so any small tripod will do.

purlieu

A Zoom h2n with some kind of windshield on it will do fine. Other makes are pretty similar in quality, so any will do, but generally I find Zoom to be the most recommended. The one I have is a wonderful bit of kit.

hedgehog90

My DR-05 arrived today.
Seems to be in good nick, however the removable back plate that covers the battery slot is really loose and rattly. Nothing a bit of sellotape won't fix though.

Quote from: Twed on May 28, 2019, 02:55:52 PM
Hm, the unit I bought was definitely a lot cheaper-feeling than I expected. It's nice, but I always thought it would be a more boutique piece of kit when I saw pictures. Don't know what I expected for $120 though.

Yeah, I have to agree. The pictures make it look a bit more sturdy than it really is. I don't care though, as long is the plastic shell doesn't creak and squeak while I'm recording then I'm happy.

Twed

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 30, 2019, 03:31:25 PM
My DR-05 arrived today.
Seems to be in good nick, however the removable back plate that covers the battery slot is really loose and rattly. Nothing a bit of sellotape won't fix though.
Mine is quite loose too. Not rattly, but definitely feels like it could easily fall off.

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on May 30, 2019, 07:13:52 PM
Mine is quite loose too. Not rattly, but definitely feels like it could easily fall off.

Steady on

hedgehog90

Holy shit this thing picks up sounds I wasn't even aware of during recording.
Indoors, in a room with the windows closed I was clearly picking up birds chirping outside & the sound of cars whooshing by on the nearest road, about 250m away from me, and my computer's fan in the other room which sounds like a fucking jet engine in the background. And this was on -18db rec levels (min -36db).
Will test it later with reduced mic sensitivity and wearing headphones. I managed to get some peaking from water trickling into a sink:

FUN WITH TAPS (FEAT. CHIRP D. & MOTORWIND) - HEDGEHOG90