Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:26:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peep Show US Remake with wimmin'

Started by cliggg, May 27, 2019, 11:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliggg

From an interview with Sam Bain
"People sometimes ask if I look at my earlier work differently now – whether my shows would have been better if they had been more diverse. What would Peep Show have been like with women as the two leads? It's a great question – and it's one I'll shortly have the answer to, because there is a script in development for a US Peep Show with two female leads. It's at FX Networks and it will be written by top comedy brain Karey Dornetto (Portlandia, Community)."

Would this work with wimmin'? There are plenty of sitcoms around these days that show women being as pathetic/sleazy/degenerate as men, Idiotsitter & Teachers being two off the top of my head. I admit I got bored of the original after season 5 or 6, it just kept going to the point of being depressing instead of funny for me. Will this end being any good at all?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/may/25/peep-show-with-female-losers-bring-it-on-sam-bain-on-why-comedy-needs-diversity?awc=11152_1558941359_f2266794f48e7315fd043707e104008a&utm_source=afl&utm_medium=awin&utm_content=Bauer+Media+Magazines

Blue Jam

What Women Want is a dreadful and deeply patronising film, but the idea worked, yes. If this show has women thinking about more than handbags and calories I may give it a go.

Isn't there a pilot of Peep Show in which Sophie's internal monologue features?

Blue Jam

QuoteThe crew has downed tools as the actors, producers and director perch uncomfortably on polystyrene rocks. We've stopped to have an impassioned debate over racial politics – specifically over how much racism is too much to put in one character's mouth.

Daryl

the

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 27, 2019, 01:03:03 PMIsn't there a pilot of Peep Show in which Sophie's internal monologue features?

It was a DVD extra.

This idea sounds like an attempt to bend the Peep Show concept round into Fleabag humour territory.

Butchers Blind

Ahh, I see what they're doing here, like that Ghostbusters film that did well.
Why not have original ideas rather than rehash old ones.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Butchers Blind on May 27, 2019, 01:34:36 PM
Why not have original ideas rather than rehash old ones.

Why have original ideas when you can bulletproof your rehash against criticism with gender politics.

BritishHobo

I've been very outspoken on here many times in defence of both US and gender-swapped remakes. I think they've often turned out to be much better than people give them credit for, and that the backlashes often completely disproportionate. But I look at a headline like this and I just think, for fuck's sake, how do you not know exactly how this will be received? Annoying people who hate gender-swaps AND 'British comedy is so much better blah blah wit blah blah sarcasm blah blah panel shows' bores? It's doomed already. Who is in commissioning, heard this idea and thought 'yep, that'll do gangbusters'?

QDRPHNC

St_Eddie

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 27, 2019, 02:22:14 PM
I've been very outspoken on here many times in defence of both US and gender-swapped remakes. I think they've often turned out to be much better than people give them credit for, and that the backlashes often completely disproportionate. But I look at a headline like this and I just think, for fuck's sake, how do you not know exactly how this will be received? Annoying people who hate gender-swaps AND 'British comedy is so much better blah blah wit blah blah sarcasm blah blah panel shows' bores? It's doomed already. Who is in commissioning, heard this idea and thought 'yep, that'll do gangbusters'?

I don't know about any of that but I will ask why it is that Americans feel the need to produce their own versions of UK sitcoms?  Why can't they just watch the original UK version?  It's not like us Brits insist upon having our own version of Seinfeld or The Larry Sanders Show.  It just rubs me up the wrong way.

thenoise

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 27, 2019, 02:06:04 PM
Why have original ideas when you can bulletproof your rehash against criticism with gender politics.

Yes. The original Peep Show wasn't great because it was about men, it was great because it was well written and performed, and had a nice central concept.

An all female remake is no more or less likely to work than an all male remake, it all depends on the level of talent involved.

Bronzy

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 27, 2019, 03:33:11 PM
I don't know about any of that but I will ask why it is that Americans feel the need to produce their own versions of UK sitcoms?  Why can't they just watch the original UK version?  It's not like us Brits insist upon having our own version of Seinfeld or The Larry Sanders Show.  It just rubs me up the wrong way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Brydon's_Annually_Retentive

St_Eddie

Quote from: thenoise on May 27, 2019, 03:54:59 PM
Yes. The original Peep Show wasn't great because it was about men, it was great because it was well written and performed, and had a nice central concept.

An all female remake is no more or less likely to work than an all male remake, it all depends on the level of talent involved.

I completely agree.  I don't know why it has to be called Peep Show though.  Whether it stars men, women or a mix of the two, it doesn't matter, just call it something else.  Peep Show doesn't need to be remade.

Quote from: Bronzy on May 27, 2019, 03:56:06 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Brydon's_Annually_Retentive

That is not the same thing at all.  It's not a remake.  It's not a British replacement for The Larry Sanders Show.  It's inspired by it, sure.  A knock-off, yeah.  Maybe even a rip-off.  A remake though?  Nah.  Every time a movie is a big hit, you end up with countless knock-offs but that's are not the same thing as straight up remaking a popular movie.  The same applies to TV.

If Karey Dornetto wants to write a show inspired by Peep Show and call it something else, then I wouldn't be arsed.  It's the fact that it's a straight up remake of something which doesn't need remaking that bothers me.  It's the fact that it's yet another British show being remade for an American audience because apparently watching something that isn't set in their own country is a foreign concept to Americans (quite literally).  The very fact that you couldn't actually name a single straight up British remake of an American show speaks volumes, when you consider that the list of the opposite is vast.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 27, 2019, 04:53:05 PM
The very fact that you couldn't actually name a single straight up British remake of an American show speaks volumes, when you consider that the list of the opposite is vast.

Well, there is one that springs immediately to mind. I can't really think of any others off the top of my head.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 27, 2019, 01:05:55 PM
Daryl

"Do I have to spell it out, Mark? The sausage-munching Boche. Fritz; the bratwurst-guzzler."

Different times, of course. Could never say all that today.

Andy147

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on May 27, 2019, 04:57:10 PM
Well, there is one that springs immediately to mind. I can't really think of any others off the top of my head.

Brighton Belles from The Golden Girls is another.

Wikipedia suggests The Fosters (from Good Times), Loved By You (from Mad About You), The Upper Hand (from Who's The Boss) and Days Like These (from That 70s Show). (Plus loads of game shows, quiz shows and reality TV formats, but that's not the same thing).

Petey Pate

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on May 27, 2019, 04:57:10 PM

Would Sean's Show also count?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Buzby can probably set us right, but I expect part of the reason the yanks remake so many of our shows (other than them being xenophobic thickos) is that their telly networks require 22+ episodes a season and ours are usually done in 6. The entire run of Peep show isn't enough for syndication and that.

As for Peep Show US, I'm fine with it. It's not like we haven't remade a load of Scandi noir type shows in recent years. I wonder how well some things might translate - not just culturally, but gender wise, too. Mark being menaced by a bunch of youths doesn't seem like it would be as funny from a woman's perspective.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Petey Pate on May 27, 2019, 05:20:08 PM
Would Sean's Show also count?

Sean's Show's more of an "inspired by" sort of deal, really, isn't it? It's not a direct remake of anything.

St_Eddie

Interesting to see a couple of American shows which were remade in Britain get a mention but yeah, kind of the exception to the rule.  Besides, even if there were more, it wouldn't negate my distaste for remaking a show in the same language that it was originally in.  That goes both ways.  So yeah, the couple of times us Brits remade American sitcoms; fuck us for that.

sponk

What about Candid Camera and America's Funniest Home Videos?

St_Eddie

Quote from: sponk on May 27, 2019, 05:43:42 PM
What about Candid Camera and America's Funniest Home Videos?

Terrible shows.

Next question.

BritishHobo

Review with Forrest MacNiell was an American remake of an Australian show, and that's one of the funniest comedies of the last few years.

QDRPHNC

St_Eddie

Twed

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 27, 2019, 05:33:48 PM
Interesting to see a couple of American shows which were remade in Britain get a mention but yeah, kind of the exception to the rule.  Besides, even if there were more, it wouldn't negate my distaste for remaking a show in the same language that it was originally in.  That goes both ways.  So yeah, the couple of times us Brits remade American sitcoms; fuck us for that.
The Coupling of times

Ja'moke

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 27, 2019, 03:31:30 PM
In case anyone hasn't seen it, here's the first US attempt at remaking Peep Show.

I wrote a review of it last year for my site, which ended with:

QuoteIs there anything good about it? Sadly the answer is no. All of the characters bar Sophie are unsympathetic, the script misfires with every attempt at comedy and it's lacking pretty much everything which made the original so special. I always try and find something positive to say about a show but the only times I laughed were at how bad it is, for instance at one point Mark is convinced that Sophie will like a bad boy and draws a swastika within a love heart that he gives her while thinking "This is going to make Sophie so hot", it's so badly misjudged it's almost unbelievable, as is her believing that Mark's making a satirical point about office politics with that drawing and she happily gives him her phone number.

At least the executives who commissioned it recognised how bad it was and didn't give us twelve seasons and a spin-off starring a kid version of Super Hans, that would have been truly depressing, but at the same time it's disappointing that they weren't able to make a version of the show which was it's own beast but still resembled the original in certain ways, because as with The Office the source material shows how much potential it had to become a long running series.

As for UK remakes of US shows, Bob Martin was heavily influenced by The Larry Sanders Show, but it was cancelled after Barrymore definitely didn't kill a man. Or maybe he did. I dunno. Then there was Hang Ups with Stephen Mangan which was a remake of Web Therapy, and Married For Life was our take on Married With Children but with Russ Abbot in the main role, which inexplicably was not a success.