Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:43:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peep Show US Remake with wimmin'

Started by cliggg, May 27, 2019, 11:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, the initial "odd couple" premise isn't unique, and without the POV/inner monologue conceit it probably wouldn't distinguish itself much.  But the important thing is that the format and style absolutely dictates how the show is written, and therefore how the characters develop, as well as likely informing a good deal of the plotting.  It may not be "essential", but without it you'd have an entirely different show — as Mitchell said, probably a bit like Spaced or Men Behaving Badly.  So gimmick or otherwise, its style defines the show, and the show was very very good for the most part.

Avril Lavigne

It's a bit like asking if Golden Brown by The Stranglers could have done as well or have been remembered as fondly without the gimmick (?) of the main riff being played on harpsichord, and if it had just been recorded with the traditional guitar/bass/drums setup.  You'd just have a slightly different version that most people probably wouldn't have found as interesting, and in this dimension if we could hear that alternate version most of us would just say "ah yeah, it's nice but you can see why they added the harpsichord".

Noodle Lizard

The difference, I guess, is that Peep Show was conceived and initially predicated entirely on the POV format, whereas I'd imagine Golden Brown was worked out on more conventional instruments.  Despite that, I still think it's a disservice to say it's an entirely conventional sitcom with that taken away from it.

Zetetic

I'd be more excited about this if it was Dishonored fan fiction with a young Jessamine and Delilah as the protoganists, but it's not.

QDRPHNC