Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:51:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gettin Angry

Started by The Boston Crab, May 27, 2019, 03:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Gettin angry playing a game - what is the best strategy NOW

Every time I hear someone say 'whenever I feel the red mist descending lol I just walk away and have a fuckin iced tea or something or go for a walk or APPRECIATE NATURE or read a fuckin monga or enjoy one of my other pastimes', I want to carve up their entire family tree.

Whenever a game makes me mad, I want to keep playing until I destroy the game and make the creators feel bad that their FUCK of a game got turned inside out.

Hey man games should be FUN what about turn on your fucken Nintendo guy and play something FUN and lighten the eff up. Check out my Splatoon cosplay already! Hihihi.

Get carved. One of those electric roast dinner carving knifes with the little teeth going back and forth. I double dare you to show me your fucking cosplay cunt. BZZZZZRRRRGGGHHH. Check out Mister Stumpz! You'll only be cosplaying as a fuckin lil stool from now on you twee piece of inane shit.

Imma roll around with my kitty kat. What's its name? JoJo!

CARVIN TIME

Say, you ever heard of Amiibo? Do you collect Legos?

BZZZZZRRRRGGGHHH

How do you react to finding a game a bit annoying?

St_Eddie

I never really understood how some people become furious when playing a game (much less smashing controllers and the like).  It seems like anger management issues to me.  The absolute worst I'll ever get, in terms of anger, is losing hours of saved progress due to a crash (particularly when my PS3 died and I lost my in-progress 60+ hour save file for Fallout: New Vegas) but even then, I'll just say "oh, for fuck's sake!" through gritted teeth, huff a little bit, take a break and then restart.

Honestly, if your biggest problem in life is becoming irate at a videogame, then I'd say that you've probably got it pretty good in life (this isn't aimed at you specifically, The Boston Crab).  I've always had far worse things to get stressed and angry about than playing a difficult videogame.  Videogames are escapism from the things which make me angry in life, even the frustrating ones.  I'd much sooner be battling the challenge of a bastard hard boss battle, then getting punched in the face in real-life or dealing with the loss of a loved one.  It's all about having a little bit of perspective, I guess.

Moderators, how far can I go before a verbal threat becomes a criminal matter?

Please PM me with details. Many thanks.

Glebe

Gaming is one of those things you do to relieve stress that can actually cause more stress.

Next door neighbour got a new barking dog. Seems like DOG is on the menu tonight boys, for dinner!

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 27, 2019, 04:20:18 PM
Moderators, how far can I go before a verbal threat becomes a criminal matter?

Please PM me with details. Many thanks.

What did I say that pissed you off?  Nothing I said was aimed at you (I even went out of my way to clarify that in my post).  They were just my general thoughts on the topic at hand.

Twed

I got angry as a child with an undeveloped brain, now I just the kind of frustration that makes me laugh at myself.

Mods PM quick please this is going to get out of hand this knive is CORDLESS :(

Ed, don't worry man, I'm kidding.

BlodwynPig

FUCKING FASCIST IMP PUNCHING MY BALLS INTO ETERNITY

FFFFFFUKKKKKKKK IIIIIIITTTTTTT

JET SET WILLY CAN DO ONE AS WELL

Gotta be honest though, saying 'if you get annoyed at a video game, you got it easy you should try someone close to you dying' is total rickets.

bgmnts

I like it when a game makes me mad, it gives me an excuse to have a rage wank.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 27, 2019, 04:47:13 PM
Gotta be honest though, saying 'if you get annoyed at a video game, you got it easy you should try someone close to you dying' is total rickets.

Yeah, that was a poor choice of words.  I shouldn't have implied that people who rage at games don't have their own problems in life.  It was more that I personally don't really understand how someone can get into a rage over a videogame, when there's so much more in life to get stressed out about.  I've got PTSD, so I'm just coming at it from that angle, I guess.  It's my own personal view, in relation to the stress that I'm under; the daily feeling of hopelessness, isolation, fear and flashbacks and how the stress of a videogame pales in comparison to that.  Again, for me personally.  Not anyone else.

Again, I fully agree that I could have phrased things a lot better.  Somebody chucking a videogame controller across the room is not a reflection on how "good they have it" in other aspects of their life.  That was wrong of me to have said that.  I fear that was unjustified bitterness rearing its ugly head.  I apologise.

Zetetic

I can imagine the other way around - that frustrations in other parts of your life might come out when playing a game.

In part precisely because you might be hoping for an escape and a sense of achievement (and instead encountering more frustration), and perhaps in part because it's a relatively safe arena to actually get angry in (while the actual areas of struggle in your life - your marriage, your job - require you to manage your emotions).

I've found in recent years that I can't stomach long bouts of games that are challenging, particularly when I've got other things keeping me on edge. That's closer to anxiety than anger though.

St_Eddie

It probably helps that I mostly play point & click adventure games, so there's not much room for rage inducement there.  I did play and complete the notoriously difficult Cuphead last year though and whilst I got moderately frustrated at times (especially the second to last boss), I never felt rage of any description and mostly just enjoyed the escapism of it all.

No need to apologise at all. Just seemed funny after my examples of advice in the OP.

I'm practising Mushihimesama Futari Black Label at the moment and trying to get a 1CC. It's a really great fun game but once you're playing with a particular goal, every failure is simply that, an annoying waste of time and another attempt down the shitter. There's plenty of memorisation but that's not what prevents me from waltzing through it. There's a certain amount of RNG to some of the patterns so you can never guarantee that if you keep learning the route, eventually you can pull it off every time. You always have to be aware of stray bullets or the bosses moving one way instead of another or of being trapped because you didn't quite herd every bullet over and up the screen because that one enemy fired a moment later. Even that doesn't really do me, though. It's that the intensity and RNG means that you have to concentrate for the entire time because you're under an onslaught and it's not quite predictable. You have to play according to memory, with really great execution but you've also got to be able to react and adapt on the fly at any moment and that absolutely batters your concentration. Worse, stage 3 is the hardest and least predictable in several ways and it has the most annoying concurrent RNG elements so I quite often get there and then die just after the mid boss. That's a really annoying waste of time because the first two stages and first half of 3 are virtually free now. I nail them every time, until I start to lose it and then I will sometimes die on the first wave and stuff and I start to feel the old hate take over and my eyes roll back in my head and I start raping the furniture and everything. Worse, my 360 pad (and replacement pad) both have sporadic stick drift so occasionally, I'll be tapping my way through thousands of bullets and the stick will just be like WAYYOHHHH and I'll shit myself and almost always just save it but that's another constant worry and stress. Worst of all is that the other day I got to the last boss and had her down to about 5% health and I had two bombs left but no lives. It was a very good pretty conservative run, just bombing every time I was due to die and without playing amazingly, I got to the last boss. For some stupid reason, when she started spraying walls at me, I decided to go for the dodge through the wall by aligning my hit box to the gap of a few pixels. I did it once and was laughing with the excitement of it but I still should have bombed, fired, bombed, fired, 1CC. I tried it again for some reason and died. I can't let go of that sick feeling. It's like it was really meant to be but for some reason I've jumped onto another timeline where it didn't and now I want it too much for it to happen again. It's a very existentially troubling paradox.

I find that my best runs come after I've been playing something else or nothing at all and after the first go, basically get worse or drop into a mindset where stage 4 is more difficult than it ever normally is and I die there, having never died there before, ever, until this past weekend. I'm looking forward to my arcade stick turning up and not having to deal with the pad drift and having more precise control but it'll no doubt take time to get used to it, too.

madhair60

The only game that has ever made me truly angry is Teenage Ninja Turtles on the NES, but it made me so angry that I did call Shredder the n-word.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The last game I raged at was Gears Of War Judg(e)ment on the 360. Got to the final boss on insane difficulty, but after 30 goes I still couldn't kill it. That entire level just seemed designed to piss you off. The game was worthless at trade in value by that point, so I'd probably only get about 60p for it at CEX. I put the controller down, ejected the disc, then snapped it in two with my bare hands. It felt quite good actually.

PS I am quite mental.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on May 27, 2019, 05:46:30 PM
The only game that has ever made me truly angry is Teenage Ninja Turtles on the NES, but it made me so angry that I did call Shredder the n-word.

What's wrong with that?  He is a ninja.

Twed

He called Shredder a Nintendo. Really dumb kid. Thick as absolute shit.

madhair60

I was probably about 25 or 26.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on May 27, 2019, 05:46:30 PM

It was a stupid thing to do, and I can understand why Disney ended their sponsorship deal.

Jerzy Bondov

I get full rage ons at games. Never understood the 'angry at a game?!' mentality. Too right I'm angry at a game. That's great if you're the Dalai Lama sitting there getting pasted by cheating Mario Kart AI cunts with a benign smile on your face, but that's not me. I'm hopping up and down shrieking like a chimp, tears streaming down my red face, using very unacceptable unwoke language, and I'm having the time of my fucking life.

JB Rage Catchphrases:
"And that's supposed to be FAIR is it?!"
"Oh great. Great. Yeah."
"OHHHHHH FUCK OFF!!"
"AGGGGRRRRGGGGGAAAAAAAAAA"
"This is fucking SHIT. Fuck this" Turn game off. Turn game on 5 minutes later.

Love it. Boil my piss baby

PlanktonSideburns

Hilariously bleak thread

Howling at this

Thank you, JB. An actual alive human man with bright red vital blood.

PlanktonSideburns

PlanktonSideburns

Alrite mate no need to get angry, it's not one of your little computer games or anything

Not like your failing to do a Mariocart, or you've scraped your donkey Kong or whatever

Ohhhh shitttttt

Can't even sleep now I'm so mad. I feel like all my cells are full of fizzy piss.

Watch it!

Mobius

I get unreasonably angry at video games and anyone who is near me at the time. Because it's my girlfriend's fault Division 2 is a buggy pile of shit.

The worst thing is when there's no one to blame but yourself