Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:08:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

In Fabric (Peter Strickland, 2019) Q&A UK Tour

Started by Puce Moment, May 27, 2019, 05:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Exciting, no? Really looking forward to this, and for various work reasons will have access to the London and Nottingham screenings.

chveik

yes very exciting. I don't know when I'll have the chance to seen this one though, I doubt theatres in rural France will show it.

little clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9RDCY7wsqg

Neomod

Tinto Brass meets Mike Leigh. Loved Duke of Burgundy and so I'm looking forward to this. General release and on demand a month from today (28th June).

greenman

Compared to his last two it does look a bit less obvious how the Leigh side is going to come out in this film despite the lead casting.

Puce Moment

It's being called a horror comedy, but it's hard to imagine this being a riot of Evil Dead II craziness.

Music by Cavern of Anti-matter. Interesting, I have always been a Broadcast person and only have slight interest in Stereolab, but I like Cavern of Anti-Matter a great deal. Strickland really puts time into his music choices, both Broadcast and Cat's Eye have offered up two of my favourite soundtracks of the decade.

I'll be going to the Nottingham showing.

Puce Moment

mjwilson

Caught it in Manchester,  thanks for the tip-off.

Bobby Treetops

One of the few directors that I'll happily pay an extortionate price to see their film at one of the posher cinemas in London, as sadly this won't be coming to a cheaper multiplex near me.

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 05, 2019, 03:26:34 PM
If anyone would like a poster, let me know.

Oh yes please.

Puce Moment

Posters were only for those that asked a question and I managed to get one in!

The film itself is a baffling mix of registers - British Social Realism mixed with shit 60s/70s horror films and experimental video art from the same period. For the most part I really enjoyed it, but I do think there were a handful of quite bad decisions made during filming. I don't really want to say too much about it but the main woman in the department store really steals the film, and the more time away from her and Marianne Jean-Baptiste is kind of a waste of the film's strengths.

Strickland is a self-effacing a rather shy character, but he has lots of interesting answers to questions. Cavern of Anti-Matter recorded the music prior to the film being made just based on the description. It's not a political anti-consumerism film. Julian House has some sections in the film (which are wonderful). Strickland was very interested in the visceral relationship we have with clothes and wanted to look at that from various angles. He defended the film against accusations of being neo-Giallo (even though nobody asked) and mentioned a Director I did not know and (annoyingly) can't remember as being the chief influence.

chocky909

A bit of a mess as usual but also as fun and vibrant as you'd expect and really very funny at times. I haven't rewatched much of his back catalogue but I don't remember there being much if any humour there.

London crowd didn't seem that impressed with weak applause but could just be too cool to show enthusiasm. The questions were mostly try hard. Anyone here get a turn on the mics?

Sebastian Cobb

I really liked this. Although given it was 2 hours I expected a third story rather than just 2. Weird stuff and I think I love anything that's a bit deliberately anachronistic.

Nice to see Hayley Squires do something after Daniel Blake as well.

non capisco

I was always going to be a total sucker for this because it's Giallo colliding head on with English hauntological Nigel Kneale-y type stuff, with Tim Gane doing the score. Mark Kermode's "like Dario Argento directing an episode of Are You Being Served?" quip isn't entirely inaccurate. But it's all that and more. A riot of ideas. Peter Strickland's best film yet, I'm saying. Loved the giddy fuck out of this. In places probably the funniest film I've seen this year too.

zomgmouse

Just saw this. By far the most outright funny film of his I think. Glorious twisted demented delirium. Loved it to bits.

Sebastian Cobb

Really good and daft innit I've said before Fatima Mohamed is a very good character actor.

'it looked like the council cut it'

non capisco

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 03, 2019, 03:40:02 PM
Just saw this. By far the most outright funny film of his I think.

"Babs, junior."

zomgmouse

Small Man Big Horse

This is now "available" though after watching it you should of course send Strickland a tenner.

Argh. Overall brilliant; the first part had me awestruck. Stylistically and aesthetically it was really tickling my ballbag. The weird amalgamation of 70's and 80's advertising and technology and the modern day, the silliness. The shopkeeper woman was mesmerizing...I don't know though, it really deflated for me in much of the second half...it almost became a bit too silly and lost a lot of the weird brooding tension. The whole deal with the washing machine repairman's hypnotically boring speeches just being a bit too overboard in terms of daftness. I still far from disliked it but I think it swayed what could have been an all time favourite of mine if had played out differently. Although the stag do part was hilarious, he really wasn't having a good time was he bless him.

It kind of brought it all back at the very end but I don't know, it could've been an alltimer. It might have been better if the weedy repairman bit was like a comic relief ten minute vignetter in the middle of the film before moving onto a more potent story.

Regardless there was a lot to love, just googled the actress who plays the enigmatic shop woman and its Brienne from game of thrones? what!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Misspent Boners on August 30, 2019, 06:59:13 PM
Regardless there was a lot to love, just googled the actress who plays the enigmatic shop woman and its Brienne from game of thrones? what!
Her?

It's Fatma Mohammed, she's in all of Stickland's films. She's great. Don't think she's in GoT though.

Ja'moke

Brienne from Game of Thrones played the son's girlfriend.

Ah yeah; I got confused because if you google Gwendoline Christie In Fabric there's more images of the shopkeeper lady than of her actual character. And I'm a bit thick. That said, I'm only marginally less surprised to find out she played the girlfriend!

Small Man Big Horse

Argh. Overall brilliant; the first part had me awestruck. Stylistically and aesthetically it was really tickling my ballbag. The weird amalgamation of 70's and 80's advertising and technology and the modern day, the silliness. The shopkeeper woman was mesmerizing...I don't know though, it really deflated for me in much of the second half...it almost became a bit too silly and lost a lot of the weird brooding tension. The whole deal with the washing machine repairman's hypnotically boring speeches just being a bit too overboard in terms of daftness. I still far from disliked it but I think it swayed what could have been an all time favourite of mine if had played out differently. Although the stag do part was hilarious, he really wasn't having a good time was he bless him.

It kind of brought it all back at the very end but I don't know, it could've been an alltimer. It might have been better if the weedy repairman bit was like a comic relief ten minute vignetter in the middle of the film before moving onto a more potent story.

This is pretty much how I felt except I struggled with the second half a bit more than you did, and thought it became less visually interesting during that part too. I did admire it a huge amount, and loved the first section, but can't help but find myself wishing the second segment had been a bit more intriguing.

Sebastian Cobb

I felt it was odd that it was just two segments, I think it would've benefited with a bit of brevity (mostly in the 2nd, the first bit was great) and a 3rd act.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 06, 2019, 05:51:59 PMThe film itself is a baffling mix of registers - British Social Realism mixed with shit 60s/70s horror films and experimental video art from the same period. For the most part I really enjoyed it, but I do think there were a handful of quite bad decisions made during filming. I don't really want to say too much about it but the main woman in the department store really steals the film, and the more time away from her and Marianne Jean-Baptiste is kind of a waste of the film's strengths.

Watched it again very open-minded and came away with the same opinion. It's a fascinating oddity, and I really love Julian House's 70s Video Art sections which are alarmingly authentic. The Duke of Burgundy is so beautifully mannered compared to this more riotous and comedic approach, and I have to concede to generally preferring the former. Part of me also wondered if he ever planned to make this a kind of Amicus-style portmanteau film with three or more stories. I think the film just needed to focus on the Jean-Baptiste character, the shop, and Fatma Mohammed. I can understand the lack of detail about the back-story - that's very Argento. I have to say that I found the sight of the dress hanging from a wire less amusing than ever, and just found it shit.

Overall, for me his least enjoyable film from a short CV, but this fucker has some great films up his sleeve I am sure.

zomgmouse

The whole deal with the washing machine repairman's hypnotically boring speeches just being a bit too overboard in terms of daftness.

I thought this at first but then someone pointed out to me that actually his speeches induced orgasms? Which does make a lot more sense.

I also kind of liked that it was split in two because it made the film be about the dress more than anything.

Sebastian Cobb

Bumping this 'cos I spotted it was £2.50 to own on amazon video. I don't really like buying things in walled gardens, but it's a bargain.