Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:34:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Third Alien prequel

Started by Operty1, May 27, 2019, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 01, 2019, 02:49:01 AM
You just know that Ridley Scott's intending to retcon the space jockey from Alien as being David in an Engineer suit.

I hadn't thought of this before but damn, I think you're probably right.  That being said, I feel like Scott already screwed up the whole jockey thing with the engineers anyway.  I always thought it was a creature that just looked that way to begin with and seeing them as living beings, like in some of the comics, would have been much weirder and more alien than just some bald white humanoids with space suits based on that design.  Also he totally got the scaling wrong, the original jockey is way bigger than an engineer despite the implication from Prometheus that it's somebody in one of their pilot chairs.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 01, 2019, 12:07:07 PM
...I feel like Scott already screwed up the whole jockey thing with the engineers anyway.

I concur.  Perhaps the biggest misstep with the prequels was making the Engineers less alien.  Dan O'Bannon described the title of the first film as being perfect in its simplicity, as well as being a word with a double meaning;  Alien - both a noun and an adjective. Retconning the space jockey to be a humanoid species, flies in the face of the adjective side of things.  The space jockey scene works so well in the first film because it's truly alien; something beyond human comprehension.  Explaining what the space jockey is, much less having that explanation be that it's a humanoid and the creator of man no less, significantly dilutes the appeal of an eldritch horror from beyond the stars.  The unknowable is as fascinating, as it is scary.  The space jockey is no longer fuel for the imagination.  It's now mundanity personified.

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 01, 2019, 12:07:07 PMI always thought it was a creature that just looked that way to begin with and seeing them as living beings, like in some of the comics, would have been much weirder and more alien than just some bald white humanoids with space suits based on that design.

It's definitely presented as being organic in the first film (in part at least, as it's bio-mechanical).  It even has teeth.  What sort of spacesuit has teeth?  It makes no sense to retcon it into being a spacesuit.

That ain't a spacesuit.  Alien or otherwise.

As I previously mentioned, the space jockey is a bio-mechanical being, as evidenced below...

It's fused to the chair, not via fossilisation, as postulated by Dallas but rather, by design.  In my mind, prior to watching Prometheus, the space jockey was essentially an alien race's equivalent of the Nostromo's MU-TH-UR computer; a ship's central intelligence, one created through the same bio-mechanical technology evidenced throughout the derelict and in the creation of the ultimate bio-weapon (the alien itself).  I had always imaged that the sentient space jockey was incapable of leaving that 'chair', as the chair was a part of the creature itself.  I would have loved to have seen a living rendition of the space jockey in Prometheus.  I can imagine a scene where the human characters are exploring the juggernaut and inspecting a living space jockey.  The space jokey would be unable to move and its expression would be one of fear.  Fear for these strange pink mushy aliens surrounding it and talking in an indecipherable language.  There's a shot in Blade Runner with one of Sebastian's toys, paralysed and afraid of the replicants...

That's pretty much how I would have cared to have seen the space jockey portrayed in the prequels.  Heck, it wouldn't even necessarily have canceled out Ridley Scott's humanoid Engineers, as the space jockey would simply be one of their creations (though I'd have much rather they didn't have any tall, pale humanoids in the movie).

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 01, 2019, 12:07:07 PMAlso he totally got the scaling wrong, the original jockey is way bigger than an engineer despite the implication from Prometheus that it's somebody in one of their pilot chairs.

Absolutely.  Although it should be noted that the space jockey doesn't even maintain its scale within Alien itself.  The long shot features Ridley Scott's kids in spacesuits, to enhance the size of the space jockey.  When it cuts to the closeup shots with the cast in the same frame, the space jockey's size is effectively halved.  Either way, it's much bigger than the Engineers from the prequels.

oy vey

And if I see any of you bastards so much as looking at another Alien 3...