Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:33:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaving and Stacey is coming Back

Started by madhair60, May 28, 2019, 10:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Enzo on May 29, 2019, 01:18:18 AM
at least we will get to enjoy the return of the nicest sitcom character of all time; Mick Shipman

That name's not a patch on the brilliantly absurd sounding name of 'Mick Shrimpton' from This is Spinal Tap.

BritishHobo

I've said it before but I'm at odds with this show. I think it's really well-observed, but I'm constantly baffled by the weird nastiness that runs through the whole thing. It fascinates me. I watched it again last year and it stuck out even more. Every character except Mick is either horrible or weird. They wouldn't even let Bryn stay a lovable affable character, they had to turn him into a predatory incest paedo mega-creep who keeps touching Gavin like a horrible dirty bastard.

They're just all nasty fuckers constantly being horrible, but the show carries right on as if there's nothing of the sort going on. The main two are the worst. I really like what Jones and Corden were going for - using a traditional lead couple as the stars, in order to get through a genuine and affecting relationship between the two larger characters, who are generally relegated in the comedy world to being comic relief weirdos unworthy of romantic lead status - but the show still seems to want us to love Gavin and Stacey, and yet they're a horrible couple. They're constantly arguing and doing awful things, like Stacey going off birth control without telling Gavin, and when they finally get married there's a whole series where they just hate each other in a really genuine way, and needle each other and split off because they can't bear each other.

I think it fascinates me because it's so well-observed. It doesn't feel like a sitcom with a comedy bickering couple, it feels like a real couple with real issues. Like a horrible couple who bring down social events by having genuine serious arguments in the corner, and you just feel bad for them.

Anyway, I'll be watching thanks.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 30, 2019, 10:42:44 PM
One for the Desolation thread:

https://britmovietours.com/bookings/gavin-and-stacey-tour/

£30

QuoteWin a small prize in our Gavin and Stacey quiz!

Just a small one mind, don't go getting excited.

Mobius

Totally agree - re-watched it about a year ago with my partner who'd never see it and we were both quite shocked by what a horrible person Stacey is. The bit where she mentions not taking her birth pills it's like she knows exactly what she's doing and is almost gleeful about it. She fucks Gavin about repeatedly, who admittedly is a bit of a knob as well.

I like the mum one in it though (not the Welsh mum) she reminds me of my own mum and many other dippy blonde mums.

Custard

Alison Steadman has never been shit in anything. A national treasure

Jittlebags

Be good to see Margaret John in 'one last job'.

Cursus

According to Corden, the new show is going to be 'a nostalgic joy-bomb'.

gilbertharding

I still want to know why he's been dropped from the Confused Dot Com adverts. The car still has a job.

Noodle Lizard

Edit:  fucksake, the clip's from 2011, just reuploaded/promoted today.  Never mind.

(According to this clip, you'd think Matthew Horne wasn't returning.  He refused to take part in Corden's Piers Morgan wankfest and apparently they barely talk anymore.  This clip is kind of bleak, but it also irritates me how full of shit Corden's obviously being https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U2stVUKxklI)

Jockice

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 02, 2019, 07:20:54 PM
Looks like it might be coming back without Matthew Horne (who refused to take part in Corden's Piers Morgan wankfest)

This clip is kind of bleak, but it also irritates me how full of shit Corden's obviously being:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U2stVUKxklI

They should just call it Stacey then.

up_the_hampipe

Edit:

According to this clip, you'd think Matthew Horne wasn't returning.  He refused to take part in Corden's Piers Morgan wankfest and apparently they barely talk anymore.  This clip is kind of bleak, but it also irritates me how full of shit Corden's obviously being: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U2stVUKxklI

Corden is either holding back information there, or he's got a real misconception about how their friendship ended. He seemed a bit gutted to find out Horne didn't want to be involved in his show and tried to make excuses for it.

Noodle Lizard

Turns out it's an old clip, confusingly re-uploaded by ITV a few days ago.  Sorry for the confusion.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 02, 2019, 07:30:59 PM
Turns out it's an old clip, confusingly re-uploaded by ITV a few days ago.  Sorry for the confusion.

No, it's okay, his cuntitude is still extant so it's relevant.

BritishHobo

I think I said this last time but it's definitely interesting that the partnership to come out of Gavin and Stacey wasn't Jones & Corden (or, for balance, Page & Jones), but Horne & Corden. Was there an expectation in hiring them for projects that they would repeat the appeal of Gavin and Stacey's writing, or was it purely a chemistry thing? For a while at least it seemed like they were being pushed as the next big comedy duo.

BritishHobo

God, that Morgan thing is pretty rum, whatever your thoughts on Corden. Dropping the revelation about Horne declining to take part like that. I mean, it's hardly a necessary bombshell to drop, is it? It's not Watergate. That's just telling a person something personal and upsetting for no reason. What a prick Morgan is.

Captain Z

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 02, 2019, 09:04:13 PM
What a prick Morgan is.

Yes, but he's doing it to James Corden which actually makes him alright.

Oh, but it's Piers Morgan so that makes him a prick.

It's an infinite feedback loop.

Rolf Lundgren

Corden doesn't really explain anything there does he? I wonder why the partnership did end but suspect it was having two bombs in a row made people think it wasn't going to work out.

mothman

Obviously we all want to think that when he realised that the Horne & Corden thing would be a millstone round his neck, Corden dumped his best mate and fucked off, ultimately to America, and hadn't looked back. It'd explain his reticence to say why and how the split happened, because it was his decision and was the best thing he could have done for himself. Being presented with the fallout of that - that Horne wouldn't even participate in his poxy little hagiography, even though without him he'd be nothing but the straight man in a Catherine Tate sketch - having to confront that, gave him pause. Recovered quickly, however, the cunt.

grassbath

Dunno, I'm willing to give Corden the benefit of the doubt. Lots of close friendships/creative partnerships which find success end up splintering in the way he describes, and it's a complex thing.

Maurice Yeatman

Good trick question if you're hosting a pub quiz: What was the name of the sitcom in which a Welsh character played by Ruth Jones first said "What's occurrin'?"?

Answer: Saxondale.

Actually don't risk it, you'll probably get glassed.

kidsick5000

Special guest star: Sir Patrick Stewart

neveragain

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 30, 2019, 10:52:02 PM
I've said it before but I'm at odds with this show. I think it's really well-observed, but I'm constantly baffled by the weird nastiness that runs through the whole thing.

Most (if not all) of the surnames are taken from serial killers. I've always found that peculiar as opposed to funny.

Chollis

Gavlarrrr! Woss occurrin'! Haha, can't wait for this!

Jumblegraws

Edit:  fucksake, the clip's from 2011, just reuploaded/promoted today.  Never mind.

(According to this clip, you'd think Matthew Horne wasn't returning.  He refused to take part in Corden's Piers Morgan wankfest and apparently they barely talk anymore.  This clip is kind of bleak, but it also irritates me how full of shit Corden's obviously being https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U2stVUKxklI)
Horne said at the time (I think) that he declined to take part in the show purely because he wasn't available and called Morgan a dick for implying otherwise.

Speaking of Moron, I'm quite interested to see the response to the proposed revival since Corden has become a Morgan-level media hate figure in the time since the original series finished.

Utter Shit

The response I've seen so far suggests it's not really relevant - people are excited about the show returning, without much interest in whether Corden is a cunt or not. If it turns out to be shit then I'm sure that will be discussed though, think pieces in the Guardian with titles like "Is James Corden now too much of a cunt to write charming sitcoms?"

Chollis

I hope he gets killed during filming

BritishHobo

Quote from: neveragain on July 05, 2019, 10:15:46 AM
Most (if not all) of the surnames are taken from serial killers. I've always found that peculiar as opposed to funny.

Another good example. Or all the weird stuff with their neighbours having public issues with their sex life and the wife getting involved with another man. There's just a strange nastiness to the whole thing.

neveragain

Almost as if it were written by a twat! Or two.

But no I'm too harsh. Of course sitcoms can have darker elements and shitty characters. It's just an inconsistency (or imbalance) in tone, isn't it?

BritishHobo

It is, I just think it sticks out all the more for how chummy and twee the rest of the show (and the love for it) is. Especially in the later episodes when they inexplicably turn Bryn into a predatory creep. Everyone really eager to see if Smithy will crash Nessa's wedding and tell her he loves her, or weeping over the letter from Stacey's dead dad on her own wedding day, makes the edginess seem even odder.