Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:18:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaving and Stacey is coming Back

Started by madhair60, May 28, 2019, 10:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choie

Okay, dumb American here, but after years of wondering this I have to ask... why does Corden elicit such hate? Is it his ubiquity?  His particular brand of humor (whatever that is)?  His somewhat over-willingness to do anything for a laugh? Did he insult someone or a group of people? Is he aligned with UKIP?  What?

I'm not a slobbering fan of his. In truth I only know him from Gavin and Stacey, History Boys, Into the Woods (where I was expecting very little but he turned out to be one of the best in the cast, even singing-wise), an occasional clip from his late-night show, and...  yeah, I think that's it.

Since I actually quite like G&S, odd quirks and all (without the darker bits it would be nauseatingly sweet), and think he and Jones wrote and performed quite well, I'm probably an odd-one-out here. I don't know... I find it the equivalent of comfort food--too starchy and fat-laden but it fulfills its familiar need. The show often made me smile, even laugh at times. Not exactly I'm Alan Partridge but hey. It was just funny enough. 

And actually, I thought it was pretty gutsy for Jones/Cordan to make it clear that G&S shacked up way too fast and didn't think past the romantic adventure of it all. (Such as Stacey going off birth control without telling Gav, Gavin being an insensitive git when ignoring the huge lifestyle change Stacey undertook by moving from Wales, the clashing of their families from time to time...)

I know he and Horne had a series that was panned here, which honestly doesn't surprise me but I'd've thought it was the Horne side of things that was the problem. (Which might be unfair as I've only seen Horne in G&S, where his character was generally the straight man.) 

So what's the deal?  With the greatest respect, there's an odd trend in the UK where someone is liked, even lauded, as long as they're not too lauded. Once they hit true success, the knives come out. God knows we here in the U.S. do that too, but I see it more with you lot--and more specifically, here on C&B. Is that it? Does his success seem undeserved?

I can understand he's not everyone's cup of tea; maybe he's too eager to please, too lowbrow and/or anodyne. But the level of hate, including (obviously not very serious) comments wanting him dead, escapes me.  From my admittedly not-very-exhaustive knowledge of him, he seems too generally harmless to be the target of such venom.

Give it to me straight, gents. What evil has Corden perpetrated?

Noodle Lizard

I think it's at least partly because he's the definition of a "chancer".  He's not especially talented, ripped off Ricky Gervais's persona (which, by the time of Corden's emergence, had already started to grate a bit) and has been responsible for some truly shite television.  But he's somehow "broken America" (by pure black magic, seemingly) and is now far richer and more famous than I imagine many people think he deserves to be.  And he hasn't done it with much humility either - there are plenty of anecdotes about him being an absolute cunt, especially to staff or "plebs".

I agree with you that the UK does seem to have a trend of hating their own once they become too successful (especially in America), but there's a bit more to it than that, and in Corden's case I think people were fed up with him in the UK before he became even more ubiquitous after breaking America.

You could certainly look at someone like Matt Lucas and think he was responsible for some poor comedy which, for a while, spawned a lot of even poorer imitators, and yet he's generally proven himself to be a more-or-less decent sort and isn't in anyone's bad books, I don't think.  Meanwhile, everyone thinks David Walliams is a cunt, because he acts like one, is ubiquitous and doesn't have anything artistically redeeming in his resumé.

So yeah, a combination of poor-quality output, ubiquity and being a cunt.

beanheadmcginty

I lived in blissful unawares of Corden's cuntitude for years. Enjoyed Gavin and Stacey for what it was and didn't really give him much thought. Then a good friend of mine ended up working closely with him on that Horne and Corden shitshow. Now she's worked with all sorts of famous people of varying cuntiness over the years, but according to her this man was next level. To this day he apparently remains the most unpleasant person she has ever met, particularly towards women by all accounts. After hearing this the scales fell from my eyes and I could immediately see through his schtick. As for all the people who haven't been privy to first-hand accounts, I take it as evidence that there are a lot of people out there who are just very empathetic (far more than me) and can spot a wrong 'un when they see one. Quite reassuring really.

choie

Aha!  Thanks, Noodle Lizard and beanheadmcginty -- being a bastard to deal with in person certainly justifies and explains the animosity. (In addition to disliking his work, which is fair game too.) That's a real shame... talk about a seismic difference between public persona (amiable teddy bear) and his private one.

I'm surprised by the comparison to Gervais, at least as far as style of humor. Gervais doesn't come across as the friendly, laddish type that I've seen in Corden, although admittedly again I've only seen his behavior in a few clips from his show, mostly the "singing in the car" bit. Gervais has a cynical,  condescending (and would-be-intellectual) shtick that I can't see Corden pulling off. Except, apparently, in real life. 

Anyway thanks again. The scales have dropped from my eyes. If there were a 75-page topic devoted to Corden like there is for Gervais, I'd've figured it out myself.   

mothman

Quote from: neveragain on July 05, 2019, 10:15:46 AM
Most (if not all) of the surnames are taken from serial killers. I've always found that peculiar as opposed to funny.

It'd be a quirky little thing if left unremarked. And none of the characters notice it. But no, they had to go and actually make a thing of it in the show. That's really not having confidence in your material or your audience, if you have to signpost all the little jokes you're afraid people might have missed.

choie

Quote from: mothman on July 07, 2019, 10:59:54 AM
It'd be a quirky little thing if left unremarked. And none of the characters notice it. But no, they had to go and actually make a thing of it in the show.

I think I know the brief interaction you're thinking of, where Stacey and Pam are discussing Stacey giving up her maiden name and Pam sort of tsks that "Stacey Shipman" isn't a great name?  I'm fairly sure that's not a reference to "having the same name as an infamous serial killer," for two reasons: 

First, Pam doesn't seem to have a problem with the name herself, after all, it's hers. The only thing she has against it is that she preferred her more exotic last name, which was, um... something Polish or otherwise Slavic, I think. (Just looked it up: she was Pamela Gryglaszewska.)

Second, neither of them mentions that Stacey's own last name has the same problem anyway. And Pete and Dawn's surname goes similarly unremarked.

At least that was my take on the exchange. OTOH I could definitely be wrong--I suppose Harold Shipman's murders were more recent than the Wests' so it's more obvious a connection.

EDIT: Wow... I just looked at Wikiquote to see if I could find the dialogue, and I see there are several lines in there that I know I've never heard. I wonder if the streaming versions are edited?  This is very obviously the serial killer reference you mean:

QuoteDoris: Mr and Mrs Shipman? That's bad luck by anyone's standards.

Griff: What now?

Doris: Well she lives for the day she change her name from West, what with all the connotations and what have you, and what does she become? A Shipman.

Griff: Ah, that's very unfortunate. I don't know which is worse.

Doris: Surely Shipman?

Griff: Well, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Doris: It was more than half a dozen, Griff. It was in the hundreds.

I'm fairly sure I never saw that in any of my viewings. Or maybe I just ignored Doris--not a fan of the character.

Anyway. Point is, you're right, mothman! I should just shut up.

mothman

No, it's OK, no worries. I even had a moment of doubt after I first posted, was sure I'd remembered such an exchange but it could have been a Mandela effect.

Though to be fair, I'd forgotten the half-dozen/hundreds lines, which are kinda funny and almost excuse signposting it. Almost...

Schnapple

Quote from: choie on July 07, 2019, 02:40:56 AM
I'm surprised by the comparison to Gervais, at least as far as style of humor. Gervais doesn't come across as the friendly, laddish type that I've seen in Corden, although admittedly again I've only seen his behavior in a few clips from his show, mostly the "singing in the car" bit. Gervais has a cynical,  condescending (and would-be-intellectual) shtick that I can't see Corden pulling off. Except, apparently, in real life.   

For all the many, undeniable faults with his terrible recent work, Gervais is anecdotally the opposite of his persona, and is reputedly friendly and funny in person. Corden is a cunt in sheep's clothing.

Jockice

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 07, 2019, 12:57:04 AM
I lived in blissful unawares of Corden's cuntitude for years. Enjoyed Gavin and Stacey for what it was and didn't really give him much thought. Then a good friend of mine ended up working closely with him on that Horne and Corden shitshow. Now she's worked with all sorts of famous people of varying cuntiness over the years, but according to her this man was next level. To this day he apparently remains the most unpleasant person she has ever met, particularly towards women by all accounts. After hearing this the scales fell from my eyes and I could immediately see through his schtick. As for all the people who haven't been privy to first-hand accounts, I take it as evidence that there are a lot of people out there who are just very empathetic (far more than me) and can spot a wrong 'un when they see one. Quite reassuring really.

I remember an interview with him in which he says he was lazy and a bit of a bad lad at school but 'never a bully.'  Hmm. I'm sure we all know bullies in real life who think they're not bullies, don't we?

Mister Six

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 07, 2019, 12:38:36 AM
He's not especially talented

He's a very good actor.

I mean, yes: a cunt. But he can act.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: choie on July 06, 2019, 11:52:51 PM
So what's the deal?  With the greatest respect, there's an odd trend in the UK where someone is liked, even lauded, as long as they're not too lauded. Once they hit true success, the knives come out. God knows we here in the U.S. do that too, but I see it more with you lot--and more specifically, here on C&B. Is that it? Does his success seem undeserved?

choie, hope this doesn't sound patronising, but once in a thread about Mitchell and Webb, on here some years ago, you mentioned being aware of Olivia Colman, due to her work with them. I'm prepared to be corrected here, but I honestly don't think there's been any sort of backlash against her in Britain, and her subsequent successes have been generally viewed as deserved. Part of the reason for this may be that she achieved prominence gradually, and was initially in supporting roles; what we don't like over here is when someone suddenly seems to be everywhere in a starring capacity, as happened with Corden (and thirty years ago, with Emma Thompson, who could be said to have similarities with Ms Colman but who's never really attempted comedy again after the disaster of Thompson). Too much, too soon.

Rolf Lundgren

I was a bit surprised too with the recent Reddit debacle as I wasn't aware Corden was disliked on that scale. Having said that, I don't think he's massively disliked in the mainstream, mainly because he built up a lot of goodwill in this country with Gavin and Stacey. He was ubiquitous for a while and then he pissed off to America so can't imagine he comes into many people's thoughts nowadays.

madhair60

gaving you cunt whats fucking occuring

Chollis

hahah love it mate! woss occurrin' gavlarrrr!!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sponk

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on July 08, 2019, 11:14:25 PM
I was a bit surprised too with the recent Reddit debacle as I wasn't aware Corden was disliked on that scale. Having said that, I don't think he's massively disliked in the mainstream, mainly because he built up a lot of goodwill in this country with Gavin and Stacey. He was ubiquitous for a while and then he pissed off to America so can't imagine he comes into many people's thoughts nowadays.

Not normal people with lives. Probably why hear sparked hundreds of comments here recently.

mothman

Quote from: madhair60 on July 09, 2019, 12:54:34 PM
gaving you cunt whats fucking occuring
Quote from: Chollis on July 09, 2019, 04:12:34 PM
hahah love it mate! woss occurrin' gavlarrrr!!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Has the script leaked, or something?

jobotic

Quote from: sponk on July 09, 2019, 04:16:45 PM
Not normal people with lives. Probably why hear sparked hundreds of comments here recently.

Yeah

Captain Z

hear here

Chollis

agreed. very sad.

kidsick5000

My first inkling that Corden had a nasty streak was the Patrick Stewart incident.
Corden was hosting some awards, Stewart was giving one of them, had a few in him and called Corden out for being less than invested in the task.
But then, it does look well into proceedings and both look like they've been at the bar
Here's what happened with video
http://www.ladbible.com/funny/inspirational-james-corden-and-patrick-stewart-clashing-on-stage-is-still-great-20170404

Here's some video
https://youtu.be/NIBUWqSTp90

Corden has ambition and that involves pushing past people.
I have some admiration because he managed to rise above a huge defeat with Lesbian Vampire whatevers
To get through in the US as well as he's done is no mean feat.
While I much prefer the Craig Ferguson approach I can't deny that I prefer him as a host than an actor

Wasn't the Reddit thing shortly after Corden made a complete cunt of himself with the WGA?

https://twitter.com/jackallisonlol/status/1118173127815491585?lang=en

c

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on July 09, 2019, 05:46:53 PM
Wasn't the Reddit thing shortly after Corden made a complete cunt of himself with the WGA?

https://twitter.com/jackallisonlol/status/1118173127815491585?lang=en

I'm no fan of Corden, but this tweet really does smack of a partial Twitter truth. I can't believe this is exactly what happened. He's not Gordon Gekko

Corden admits in the replies he did it but claims it's being misrepresented. He says he's trying to give people a chance at promotion. Basically by doing the same job as staff writers but for less money.

mothman

Ah, he's trying to pay in that most exalted of currencies, Exposure!

sponk

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 09, 2019, 05:27:37 PM
My first inkling that Corden had a nasty streak was the Patrick Stewart incident.
Corden was hosting some awards, Stewart was giving one of them, had a few in him and called Corden out for being less than invested in the task.
But then, it does look well into proceedings and both look like they've been at the bar
Here's what happened with video
http://www.ladbible.com/funny/inspirational-james-corden-and-patrick-stewart-clashing-on-stage-is-still-great-20170404

Here's some video
https://youtu.be/NIBUWqSTp90

Corden has ambition and that involves pushing past people.
I have some admiration because he managed to rise above a huge defeat with Lesbian Vampire whatevers
To get through in the US as well as he's done is no mean feat.
While I much prefer the Craig Ferguson approach I can't deny that I prefer him as a host than an actor

Neither come across well but Stewart was far worse. If he really wanted to offer presenting advice he could have done it after the show. He was playing to the crowd, trying to get cheap laughs out of bullying a fat bloke and it backfires.

Mister Six

Yeah, I generally like Stewart but he comes across as the cunt there.

Malcy

iPlayer has a preview of the special tacked on at the end of the S3 finale.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xXwfjqqkOkQ

Few reviews from the screening on Twitter as well. All glowing so far.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Does Matt Horne still do up the top button on his shirts? I think he wanted that to become his "thing" and inspire his acolytes do likewise, but he just looks like some special kid that gets dressed by his Mum in the morning.

Catalogue Trousers

Yeah, but the glowing reviews were all from wankers who thought TittyBangBang and Jim Royle's Golden Egg Cup are the height of comedy.

This'll be shit I reckon

Captain Z

Uncle Bryn's handsome younger brother hasn't let himself go.