Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:12:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Arcade Sticks

Started by The Boston Crab, May 28, 2019, 04:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

One of the sticks in my arcade cab has stopped registering Right (Up and Down Right still work for some reason). I was going to replace the microswitch but it's a cheap Zippyy stick:
https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Long-Shaft-Ball-Top-Arcade-Joystick.html?attributes=eyI2MiI6ODUyfQ.

Very clicky but I liked it until it broke.

Maybe I should just put a Sanwa in there. One these bad boys?
https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Sanwa-JLF-TP-8YT-Ball-Top-Joystick.html

I'll feel bad if Player 2 has to use an inferior stick so I'd need to replace both really. This fucking thing is a white elephant. Never play it.

Spiteface

Get a sanwa. There's a reason they're an industry standard.

Anyway, if I could justify almost £300 for a stick, I'd get one of these:

https://www.victrixpro.com/showroom/fight-stick-pro-fs
Look at it, man. Yeah you can't put custom artwork on it (although I have seen some etched designs in it), but all that brushed aluminium, and it lights up...

Thinking of getting a Qanba Obsidian, actually. Probably try and flog the TE2+ before I even decide on artwork for it. get something custom from here:

https://arcadeshock.com/products/colors-customizer

Pick a Qanba/Hori "shell" and then decide what bits you want, buttons, colours and that. Will probably get reamed on customs for it, but get a nice stick in the end. The TE2+ is good, but the design on it, means it doesn't feel quite as sturdy as I'd like, given it's supposed to come open and shit, although the Razer Panthera also does this, but fancier.

buzby

I forgot about this thread - here's my arcade stick that I made for my Supergun:

It was built with an MDF top and pine casesides and subframe, stained using the 'tea, followed by wire wool dissolved in vinegar' method (the tea soaks tannins into the wood that the ferric acetate reacts with to darken the wood) with a perspex top (so you can put your own artwork underneath) and perspex base to show off my wiring. The little breadboard houses a header between the stick wiring and the lead (with is a 15-pin D-type based on the extended Neo Geo pinout) allows any of the inputs to be remapped to any pin of the lead for maximum flexibility.

I can't remember where I got the stick and switches from (I was going to use the Happ knockoffs that the x-arcade sticks use but thy are really shite) but I think they are Sanwa knockoffs.

Spiteface

Bought a Hori Fighting Edge (Had an Amazon gift card for £25 I could use, so I did).

Was gonna be between this and the Qanba Obsidian, but the brushed aluminium swung it for me*. Also, I have a stick with Sanwa bits and "Viewlix" layout. This has Hori's own Hayausa stick and buttons in a "Noir" configuration, so I can try those out. If I don't like 'em, get some Sanwa or Seimitsu stuff to have a go with.

* - I could get the panel replaced with custom art and a plexi, but I won't. for now, anyway.

That is one sexual bastard. Bravo.

All I can think about right now is throwing my arcade stick straight through the telly. It's so heavy and the telly is so thin. Every time I die on another Futari high scoring run when I'm on par with the World Record, I just want to launch this black cunt straight through the screen and just play cunty little Nintendo kiddy games for the rest of my life or until I hate games any more than I already do. Can't wait for everyone I know to die so I can jump off a building.

Cuntbeaks

Fucking do it.

That split second after it launches out of your hand and the rage is replaced with regret is a special moment.

Every day I play for an hour and I stop before I launch the cunt. I bought the telly, it's only for my gaming room and I can do what I fucking like. Can't wait for the moment to hit. Crunnnccchhhh.

Spiteface

Had a week with the Hori and generally it's a nice stick. Feels solid without being overly heavy to me.

The Hayabusa lever is a nice one for directions, and I'm not even in a rush to stick an octagonal gate on it like I would with Sanwas, as I'm getting used to it (You shouldn't really need an octo gate unless you're in the habit of riding the gate and you can't pull off hadoukens with a square). I'm not sure about the buttons. They feel a bit flimsy compared to Sanwa buttons I'm used to using, and they're noisy, to boot. They work, but I am looking at options. Seen some buttons that use cherry MX switches like in some nice PC keyboards.

Which in turn brought me to this:

The MixBox. Yeah, it's arrow/WASD keys from a mechanical keyboard replacing the typical joystick. One of two types of "stickless" controllers gaining poplarity, the other being the "Hitbox"

The latter has been a bit controversial after Daigo Umehara got his banned from a tournament for... reasons.

Anyway, thoughts on these weird beasts? I sort of want to try one out, as I think they could be advantageous for directionals in some regards. Although I can't imagine a Zangief player using one.

As for buttons, thinking of trying some Samducksa 202s, as they seem to employ cherry switches in them. Bit quieter, too.

I think the Hitbox must take some getting used to, of course, but it allows for inputs that you can't get on a stick which is an unfair advantage. I read something about option selects and charged specials that Daigo was able to pull off because he could hold both back and forward at the same time. That breaks the balance of the game and gives a clear advantage to his Guile.

Spiteface

The main thing was regards SOCD cleaning.

With SOCD cleaning, the inputs of left + right at the same time default to neutral, down + up will default to up. Daigo's hitbox didn't do this, favouring a "last input wins" setup. Then again, this is Daigo's "Gafrobox" that got banned:

The extras are just more directionals, apparently.
Funny thing is, the issue that SOCD cleaning is supposed to get rid of, is present on the perfectly tournament-legal Dualshock 4 pads, if you make use of the left analog stick as well as the D-pad.

Spiteface

The Fighting Edge died on me last night. The PS button became unresponsive for some reason, so lass than 2 weeks later, it's going back. I think I'll stick with my TE2+ for the time being. Even after my refund. Perhaps look for a Qanba Obsidian or Nacon Daija later on.

Apart from that, just saw the Kickstarter for the latest monstrosity from the people behind HitBox. The Cross|Up:

https://www.hitboxarcade.com/products/cross-up

Looks like it would be integrating some of the things on Daigo's GafroBox, with an added stick. I don't get this. The original Hitbox, maybe, and the MixBox, but this thing not so much.

Swoz_MK

My years old unmodded PS4 Venom stick is starting to become non responsive when playing online. Obviously that's a very shit thing. Getting married in October so no replacement until after then but whats a decent replacement? Qanba sticks look great but a little pricey.

Spiteface

Depends on budget and that. When you say "unresponsive" is it the PCB itself or the buttons/stick? If the latter, just get some Sanwa parts. I put Sanwa parts in my Venom, that I harvested from my old modded MAdCatz SE stick from the SF4 days.

The Hori RAP 4 Kai is not a bad stick, I'm told. I quite like the proprietary Hayabusa levers they put in their stuff, and some people like the Hayabusa Buttons, too (I prefer Sanwa in terms of buttons).

CEX have a few MadCatz ones in their shops, which you can pick up online - TES+ is 80-ish TE2s a bit more, Sanwa parts in both:

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=728658048693&categoryName=playstation4-accessories&superCatName=gaming&title=madcatz-street-fighter-v-tes%2B-arcade-fight-stick-%28skull%29

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=728658048679&categoryName=playstation4-accessories&superCatName=gaming&title=madcatz-street-fighter-v-te2%2B-arcade-fight-stick-%28ryu%29

The Ryu TE2+ has the added bonus of being able to open it up to replace bits/change the artwork. I have the same one in a generic black design

Amazon have refunded me on my defective Fighting Edge, so looking at something else. I like the Razer Panthera EVO, but I've also seen people complain about Razer's other non-Fightstick stuff...

If I can get a Qanba Obsidian for the right price I may go for that.

Swoz_MK

Amazing response, thank you!

The buttons are ok, I think it must be the PCB as at points no directional inputs, button presses, anything registers. Weirdly it seems to start in between rounds. Likely to be coincidence though.

I too changed out to Sanwa buttons in my old SE. I bloody loved that stick.

I didn't even think about the early PS4 Matcatz sticks, I'd rather not go 2nd hand but will have a dig around. That Shadaloo one is bloody lovely.

Spiteface

Arcade World UK, who I have ordered buttons and things from in the past, is taking pre-orders on some Qanba stuff, so I've taken the plunge on an Obsidian, expected arrival date of 21st August apparently.

I've got to say that the Seimitsu LS-32 I put in my stick is better than a lot of stuff I played on proper cabinets recently. I defo think Sanwa JLF for fighting games, especially shoto stuff, but Seimitsu for shmups is just a dream come true to have at home.

Spiteface

Been thinking of experimenting. Want to try some Seimitsu stuff. Might throw one in my TE2+ to see how I get on.

LS-32 definitely feels tighter and shorter throw than the Sanwa. I can't play SF for shit on it but shmups and arcade platformers/beat-em-ups feel spot on.