Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Help me pick my first European city for solo travel

Started by grassbath, May 28, 2019, 09:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

^we did something like this a few years ago, and zipped about on the SNF trains. They go 300km/h so you can get from Paris to Toulouse in a few hours.

Blinder Data

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 29, 2019, 03:07:30 AMLyon chat

Yay, Lyon. I spent 9 happy months there post-uni pretending to teach French kids english. It has so much going for it, I would recommend it over Paris for tourists any day. You need to get right stuck into the food scene, order pig's trotters and calf's brains, phwooooooar. It has a reputation for being violent but I never saw it, though sadly the NF and other right-wing shite do prosper there.

OP, if you want something cheap, go east. Prague/Budapest seem about right. It might be helpful to have a THING to do when you're there, say music festival or expensive restaurant or summat. It helps to centre your holiday. Don't cram the itinerary though, 1-2 activities a day is usually enough. Just wandering around can be reet fun

Take trains to travel around, a v helpful site on international train travel here: https://www.seat61.com/

One day I hope to do the Milan-Zurich-Paris/Lyon triple whammy. All of them are barely 4hrs train ride from each other, hurtling under the alps, ace

Golden E. Pump

My favourite ever description of a place in music is of the world described in '(Nothing But) Flowers' by Talking Heads. The tropical sounds swirling through a post-apocalyptic world overgrown with nature's final triumph.

"There was a shopping mall,
Now it's all covered in flowers."

It evokes feelings of futile hope amid the eternal chaos that rings throughout our ears. So I'd probably say Pripyat.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 29, 2019, 11:16:18 PM
Yay, Lyon. I spent 9 happy months there post-uni pretending to teach French kids english. It has so much going for it, I would recommend it over Paris for tourists any day. You need to get right stuck into the food scene, order pig's trotters and calf's brains, phwooooooar. It has a reputation for being violent but I never saw it, though sadly the NF and other right-wing shite do prosper there.

OP, if you want something cheap, go east. Prague/Budapest seem about right. It might be helpful to have a THING to do when you're there, say music festival or expensive restaurant or summat. It helps to centre your holiday. Don't cram the itinerary though, 1-2 activities a day is usually enough. Just wandering around can be reet fun

Take trains to travel around, a v helpful site on international train travel here: https://www.seat61.com/

One day I hope to do the Milan-Zurich-Paris/Lyon triple whammy. All of them are barely 4hrs train ride from each other, hurtling under the alps, ace

Bonsoir mon ami! I was told that there was a day were all the NF march on one side of the river (which river?) and the leftists march on the other? Lyon being a condensed version of the French exitentialsit experience. Tu parles Francasis? I need someone to chat shit with en Francais. DM me if you fancy it.

hummingofevil

But seriously, to whomever starter this thread. Get in touch and learn a hundred phrases en Francais and you can have a great laugh. French speaking cities are the best in the summer, especially when the locals have all fucked off to the beach. I'm off to Spain tomorrow loaded with 100 verbs and 100 phrases and will report back.