Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,471
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:11:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rotating Portrait TV Stand

Started by The Boston Crab, May 28, 2019, 11:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I want to rotate a 55 inch telly to portrait to play shmups and then rotate it back to horizontal to watch telly or play horizontal shmups or fighting games.

The only things I can find are like shit to put up signage at a conference or something or stuff where you gotta unscrew. Also it needs to be a stand not fixed to the wall because it's above a feature.

Any ideas? Only sensible replies will get read so don't waste your time goofin off champ.

Once I have this I know I will finally be happy.

St_Eddie

I don't know if such a thing exists.  I could imagine there being potential issues with the cables around the back of the TV, whenever you turned it's orientation from one position to other.

Perhaps you could get down the workshed to iron out the kinks, make a prototype and then go on Dragon's Den?

a duncandisorderly

how heavy is the telly?

something like this... I imagine the size restriction is more to do with the mechanics of positioning the thing than the weight...

I've got a wall of 55" NECs in the office here, & I've never seen anything that would let you mount them on a rotating effort.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NB-North-Bayou-Monitor-Display-Black/dp/B07MSDPV5W/ref=pd_sbs_107_40?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07MSDPV5W&pd_rd_r=2cd10373-819b-11e9-8993-cb2d847a8b8c&pd_rd_w=aFCOn&pd_rd_wg=EHJi6&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=XREFWHHSHC1H339YZF01&psc=1&refRID=XREFWHHSHC1H339YZF01

Thanks gents. I'm sure there will be something out there. I'm just struggling to locate it. Plenty of folk have rotating monitor stands like the one in the link but seems less in demand for a telly. It's not heavy, very thin panel etc. It's just large enough to need a large stand which also rotates. I don't fancy unscrewing etc.

Shit Good Nose

Can you even display stuff in proper portrait mode when the TV is physically in portrait position?  I properly calibrate my TVs and I've never seen that as a viewing option.

I know one of the big four have fairly recently announced a TV that will swivel and display in portrait (purely because of the proliferation of "user generated content" which is filmed in portrait mode on mobile phones - STUPID CUNTS!!!!), but I'm not sure if it's been released and, if it has, how much it's going for.

Funcrusher

Could you maybe get a chair that rotates instead? Or just lie horizontal on the sofa?

Twed

I'm pretending you're looking for a stand for a kind of TV that just constantly rotates, 'cos I'm bored.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 29, 2019, 03:39:24 PM
Can you even display stuff in proper portrait mode when the TV is physically in portrait position?  I properly calibrate my TVs and I've never seen that as a viewing option.

I know one of the big four have fairly recently announced a TV that will swivel and display in portrait (purely because of the proliferation of "user generated content" which is filmed in portrait mode on mobile phones - STUPID CUNTS!!!!), but I'm not sure if it's been released and, if it has, how much it's going for.

Certain shmups have the option to rotate the screen in-game so that's how it works rather than through the telly. I think I'm out of luck though, the only thing I've seen is like seven hundred quid and takes up a load of space. I'll keep an eye out for that cunty portrait Samsung job. That could be the one.

There's plenty of monitor stands that rotate but they're like 27" rather than 55".

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 29, 2019, 05:48:15 PM
Is this what you're after?

Cheers. That's the thing but I need it on a stand because I can't deface that particular wall or drill holes in it.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 29, 2019, 03:39:24 PM
"user generated content" which is filmed in portrait mode on mobile phones - STUPID CUNTS!!!!)

shut up, grandad.

or, if you want a grown-up reply.... people ("stupid cunts", if you prefer) will instinctively max out the on-screen size of the subject by turning the phone/ipad/whatever to match the area of interest.

this means that (e.g.) the toddler taking his first steps is archived, shared & watched with the maximum possible resolution. rather than full height on a 16:9 aspect with loads of wasted pixels either side.

one day, when we're not tied to physical display devices, but have an in-air projector system that can adapt to the content, you'll dig out something that you carefully shot landscape & you'll EAT YOUR WORDS.

what really boils my piss is when I see people watching wide content on their phones with the display in portrait mode. just turn the fucking thing sideways & fill the screen up, dipshit.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

WRONG! Shoot landscape or shoot yourself.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 29, 2019, 06:25:30 PM
Cheers. That's the thing but I need it on a stand because I can't deface that particular wall or drill holes in it.
How are your carpentry skills? It shouldn't be too difficult to build a stand out of a fence post or something.

Sebastian Cobb

Much like it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission, it's easier to fix a wall with polyfilla than it is to build a stand out of a fence post.

Samsung Sero is £1300 which is more than I paid for my actual shit hot telly so that ain't happening.

I'm not risking the life of my telly on some skank wood and my bullshit. I'm all right with electronics but I have no woodworking skills, tools or knowledge.

I'm just going to have to sit even closer than I already do which is one metre away.

Or stop playing your silly schmoop games.

Every other game except for fighting games is boring load of shit now.