Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:01:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why not have a look at Saturn 3?

Started by Rev+, May 29, 2019, 02:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

Farrah Fawcett!
Kirk Douglas!
Harvey Keitel (physically, not vocally)
A big robot!
Screenplay by Martin Amis!

There are the bones of a decent story poking through, and the production was famously troubled, but even on a bright day with clear sailing I can't see this film ever being anything other than creepy in the ways that weren't intended.

The whole thing's here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZUxWmJWgGI

Shall we have a chat about this one?

Shaky

Heh, for some weird reason I'd been googling this earlier as well! It seemed to be on all the time in the 90's and I always gave it a peek but not sure I ever actually enjoyed it as such. Douglas looks totally ridiculous next to Fawcett (even allowing for the perpetual age disparity between eligible men and women in Hollywood films) and obviously Keitel is terribly miscast and oddly dubbed. Sets vary between being quite good to sub-Space 1999 quality.

Had a quick look to see if the infamous "robot puts Harvey's head on it's shoulders " scene still puts the shits up me but nah, just looks silly.

St_Eddie

I've watched Saturn 3 a couple of times but not in a long while.  I can't remember much about it.  I seem to recall enjoying it well enough.  Perhaps a rewatch is in order.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I saw it once years ago. Mostly I remember the robot having an anglepoise lamp for a head.

It's shitness gave me a newfound appreciation for how good Star Wars and Alien look.

Shit Good Nose

Terrible film.  Put some fucking clothes on, Kirk.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Amis had such a crap time working on it that he turned it into the plot of Money.

Blumf

It's not solid gold, but I think you'd have to be quiet stubborn not to find lots of interest in the film, both in production and the story.

Alberon

It would be gold material for MST3K though.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Alberon on May 29, 2019, 01:38:57 PM

It's had riff mentions several times over the years, and I seem to remember Frank Conniff saying it was among his "most wanted" (not least cos, when trimmed of bits that wouldn't have been allowed on TV, it was the perfect length), but someone (I can't remember if it was Douglas, Stanley Donen, or ITC) wouldn't let them do it.

Sebastian Cobb

I think I've got this on dvd somewhere.

Proteus IV was a much better creepy robot.

Panbaams

Quote from: Alberon on May 29, 2019, 01:38:57 PM

I'd prefer an episode of We Hate Movies.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 29, 2019, 02:09:50 PM
It's had riff mentions several times over the years, and I seem to remember Frank Conniff saying it was among his "most wanted" (not least cos, when trimmed of bits that wouldn't have been allowed on TV, it was the perfect length), but someone (I can't remember if it was Douglas, Stanley Donen, or ITC) wouldn't let them do it.

Mad to think that it's from the director of Singin In The Rain and Funny Face.

Blumf

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 29, 2019, 04:07:17 PM
Mad to think that it's from the director of Singin In The Rain and Funny Face.

And Bedazzled.

Mr_Simnock

Kirk Douglas trying to give a robot shower unit a hand job

mothman

I don't want Harvey Keitel to die, but it would be ironic if Kirk Douglas outlived him...

Rev+

Quote from: Blumf on May 29, 2019, 11:30:46 AM
It's not solid gold, but I think you'd have to be quiet stubborn not to find lots of interest in the film, both in production and the story.

The production in particular is interesting, and I should have included this link:  https://saturn3makingof.com/

If the film was responsible for the death of its creator/original director, it's almost on a par with Torgo from Manos dying as a result of the leg apparatus from that film.

I have a lot of questions about this film, but the main one is the motivation of Harvey Keitel's character.  We know he failed his Space Tests because he was mentally wobbly, but what is he setting out to achieve here?  He wants a bit of Fawcett action, but doesn't seem to know who's staffing the place until he gets there.  He kills a guy - in an admittedly quite effective bit of brief screen brutality - in order to head on over, but doesn't have any mission or purpose.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Rev+ on May 29, 2019, 11:55:39 PM
The production in particular is interesting, and I should have included this link:  https://saturn3makingof.com/

That was a fascinating read.  Thank you for linking to it.

Blumf

Shaky

Ditto 2. Some interesting and amusing info in there, including this Partridgean nugget:

QuoteKirk Douglas, on the other hand, never had an issue with his own wardrobe (primarily a collection of quilted sleeveless overjackets with tops and slacks made from a washable suede cloth called Alcantra). So enamoured was he with his garb, he kept many of his outfits to wear around his home in Palm Springs:

"They're the most comfortable clothes I ever had to wear in a film."

St_Eddie

My favourite quote from the article is this...

Quote"When actors get old they get obsessed about wanting to be nude ... and Kirk wanted to be naked."