Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:13:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Games mags

Started by madhair60, May 29, 2019, 12:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: magval on May 30, 2019, 06:29:31 PM
Demo 42, which was also the Metal Gear Solid demo, had the Net Yaroze Hall of Fame. I've found the ROM of that online if any emulator people want the link.

That reminds me of the T-Rex demo for the PSOne.  When I first saw that, many a 'coo' was uttered.

Glebe

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 30, 2019, 04:07:55 PMCrash was brilliant, the only magazine I ever got delivered. Oli Frey's cover art was perfect for a teenage me and it was so exciting going in to WHS before school on the day it came out.

He illustrated a lot of gay erotica, apparently.

I remember being excited by the Crash cover featuring The Great Giana Sisters, and then finding out that Nintendo had gotten it taken off the market because of its apparent similarities to Super Mario Bros.

By the way, I once had a letter published in Crash. I wrote to complain because the tips section featured solutions for a lot of just-released games.

Bazooka

The only competition I've ever won was with GamesMaster, forget the question, but one day a copy of Cannon Spike on the Dreamcast arrived at my door(a short but under appreciated shooter).

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Glebe on May 31, 2019, 10:46:14 AM
By the way, I once had a letter published in Crash. I wrote to complain because the tips section featured solutions for a lot of just-released games.

Fucking swot.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Glebe on May 31, 2019, 10:46:14 AM
I remember being excited by the Crash cover featuring The Great Giana Sisters, and then finding out that Nintendo had gotten it taken off the market because of its apparent similarities to Super Mario Bros.

This one? Seems a bit harsh.

All the covers here.
http://live.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek/magazines/crash

Glebe

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 31, 2019, 11:10:49 AMFucking swot.

Actually in all honesty it was a fairly snooty criticism. I was thrilled to see it published, but I think I knew even then that I sounded like a little creep.

Quote from: Mister Six on May 29, 2019, 09:59:50 PMYour Sinclair then Amiga Power for me. Then I sort of drifted away from games mags as the PC ones didn't seem to have much personality (I never bothered with PC Zone, which seems like a mistake now I know Charlie Brooker used to write for it).

Remember being surprised and delighted to discover that Brooker contributed to Oink!... was it Crash or Your Sinclair that featured a copy of that as a free gift?

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 31, 2019, 11:17:57 AMThis one? Seems a bit harsh.

That's the one. I recall having a weird pubescent crush on that illustration, actually. Looks like a top site that, btw - seems like they have full-issue scans?

holyzombiejesus

One of them looks like one of Daphne  from and Celeste.

Glebe

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 31, 2019, 11:25:52 AMOne of them looks like one of Daphne  from and Celeste.

Looks like Kate Thornton... and, er, another one.

Space ghost

I remember your sinclair had a special mini edition of viz attached to it once. Which my mum promptly took off me.

madhair60

Quote from: Bazooka on May 31, 2019, 10:56:41 AM
The only competition I've ever won was with GamesMaster, forget the question, but one day a copy of Cannon Spike on the Dreamcast arrived at my door(a short but under appreciated shooter).

Hundred quid for that at CEX

earl_sleek

Amstrad Action originally, when I was a kid (and consequently a lot of the humour going over my head. It did teach me the word "crap" though, to the great displeasure of my mum, who didn't have the first idea what a "Speccy port" was or why they were so crap). A lot of the other mags mentioned owe a lot to AA, especially as they were the very first Future publication. I definitely saw echoes of their style and humour in N64 and NGC years later. Enjoyed Edge a lot for a good few years after that as well.

Twed

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 31, 2019, 11:25:52 AM
One of them looks like one of Daphne  from and Celeste.
And the other one looks like Celeste but white!

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: madhair60 on May 31, 2019, 01:31:59 PM
Hundred quid for that at CEX
You'll get more on eBay if you can be bothered. I've sold a fair few GameCube, Saturn and Dreamcast games on there recently and always got more than CEX would have paid - sometimes a lot more. Trouble with PAL DC games is the flimsy cases. If you have a copy of Cannon Spike in good nick you're a lucky fucker.

Back on magazines, I used to get ST Format. First one I got had the Magic Boy demo. 1993. But I remember having some copies of ST Amiga Format, which was a lot older. Must have been given them along with the ST. It had a little comic strip of Captain Commodore and [something] Atari, falling out with each other, getting into scrapes. Good stuff.

Bazooka

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 31, 2019, 09:12:15 PM
You'll get more on eBay if you can be bothered. I've sold a fair few GameCube, Saturn and Dreamcast games on there recently and always got more than CEX would have paid - sometimes a lot more. Trouble with PAL DC games is the flimsy cases. If you have a copy of Cannon Spike in good nick you're a lucky fucker.

Back on magazines, I used to get ST Format. First one I got had the Magic Boy demo. 1993. But I remember having some copies of ST Amiga Format, which was a lot older. Must have been given them along with the ST. It had a little comic strip of Captain Commodore and [something] Atari, falling out with each other, getting into scrapes. Good stuff.

Ah fuck no, Cannon Spike is long gone, traded that in for credit back in 2001 or whenever, not realising how much things were worth.

madhair60

Traded mine in last year perfect nick, fuck ebay

Jerzy Bondov

A fool and his rare Dreamcast game are soon parted

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 01, 2019, 08:23:36 PM
A fool and his rare Dreamcast game are soon parted

Like an idiot, I sold my copy of Rez for pittance back in the early 2000s.  Luckily I still have my original copies of Shenmue and Shenmue II though.

JesusAndYourBush

I see lots of mentions of Your Sinclair but it's predecessor Your Spectrum was way better.  I thought it went downhill when the name changed (presumably so it could incorporate the QL as well as the Spectrum?)

I liked Crash as well, and one who's name I forget that always had a Pi-Man cartoon on the back page.

Quote from: Glebe on May 31, 2019, 10:46:14 AMI remember being excited by the Crash cover featuring The Great Giana Sisters, and then finding out that Nintendo had gotten it taken off the market because of its apparent similarities to Super Mario Bros.

It may have been taken off the market but it was easy enough to find a copy.  I preferred the sequel "Hard & Heavy" which I played a lot.  Sometime around the late 90's when I got bored of playing my other games that was the only one I still played.

Rizla

Recently I found my big Ant Attack map which came free with issue 2 of Your Spectrum, inside an LP sleeve. I'd given it up for lost long ago, and in fact the missus had tried to get me a replacement for my birthday which proved utterly impossible (plenty of copies of the mag available, but none with the map), so finding it was like finding the dead sea scrolls. Framed and on the wall now. It still makes me unreasonably happy. http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jg27paw4/yr02/yr02_ant.htm

Mister Six

Quote from: Twed on May 31, 2019, 12:36:46 AM
Fair dos, I was a bit hasty and OCD there.

As mentioned above, I did archive the videos that were on the YSRNRY site (I had to contact the author to get the original files and make them available again). I found them charming. If anybody feels like mirroring them, helping the data survive or just wants to see them please let me know.

Can't you just put them on YouTube?

Twed

Content match nightmare.

Mister Six

Dailymotion? They don't seem to give a shit. I'll take them and have a go putting them up on a few places if you like.

Twed

They didn't survive archive.org but I'll put them online again so you can give it a shot elsewhere, cheers.

Mister Six

lazarou

Yeah the main problem is the soundtrack entirely consists of huge hits from the 80s, so there's very few places it won't get copyright struck. Dailymotion are certainly more lax, but they do bring the hammer down eventually in many cases. I put some fairly old and obscure J-Pop videos on there and even those got slowly taken down one after the other.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Rizla on June 02, 2019, 05:43:29 PM
Recently I found my big Ant Attack map...

Ant Attack was a game I wanted to like but found the controls so awkward that they hindered my ability to play and I'd be forever walking in the wrong direction.  I forget exactly why... maybe the up and down keys were side by side rather than above each other?   3D Defender  on the ZX81 was another game ruined by shit keys. (That's not a joke about the ZX81 keyboard by the way!!)

lazarou

Ant Attack was a very early adopter of 'tank' controls, which along with the odd choices for keys makes it a bit of a fucker to play. I remember the tank steering, but I'd forgotten how awkward the keys are. I've seen worse to be fair, but it's still pretty bad:

0, P, ENTER, SPACE - camera angle
SYMBOL SHIFT  - Rotate clockwise               
M - Rotate anticlockwise
V - Forward
C - Jump
S D F G - Throw grenade short-long  distances

Twed

It would be hilarious if a modern game had "SYMBOL SHIFT" as a control.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on June 03, 2019, 03:23:12 AM
It would be hilarious if a modern game had "SYMBOL SHIFT" as a control.

Be a great name for a game. In fact I'm going to use it.

Symbol Shift from Overfiend Games coming 2023

Will it have Micro Transactions?