Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:03:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Games mags

Started by madhair60, May 29, 2019, 12:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Glebe on May 31, 2019, 11:20:07 AM
Remember being surprised and delighted to discover that Brooker contributed to Oink!... was it Crash or Your Sinclair that featured a copy of that as a free gift?

Crash featured Oink! as a free gift, Your Sinclair gave away a copy of Viz a few months later.

Glebe

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on June 03, 2019, 12:59:07 PMCrash featured Oink! as a free gift, Your Sinclair gave away a copy of Viz a few months later.

Aha, right... and there was also an Oink! computer game, forgot about that!

ZoyzaSorris

I was nerdy but had no money so basically playing cover disk demos of your ST Formats, Amiga Formats and Zeros made up 90% of my gaming experience. Still fond memories of the likes of the Zero Lords of Chaos and Cadaver demos, would like to get hold of them but can't.

lazarou

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on June 04, 2019, 11:42:15 PM
I was nerdy but had no money so basically playing cover disk demos of your ST Formats, Amiga Formats and Zeros made up 90% of my gaming experience. Still fond memories of the likes of the Zero Lords of Chaos and Cadaver demos, would like to get hold of them but can't.

These ones?

Lord Of Chaos
Cadaver

(Download links are kind of tucked away on the left side there)

Norton Canes

Quote from: Alberon on May 30, 2019, 07:24:20 PM
Crash was brilliant. The same team went on to produce a lifestyle mag called LM which didn't last long. Wonder what they're up to now?

I had all four issues of LM, and the 'issue 0' preview given away free with CRASH, stuffed away in a drawer somewhere for ages. Not there now. Wish I'd kept hold of them.

I spent days drawing a map of the little-known (because it was shit) Spectrum game Strangeloop on A4 graph paper, and sent the resultant stack of 32-odd sheets into CRASH. They didn't publish it.

0, P, ENTER, SPACE - camera angle
SYMBOL SHIFT  - Rotate clockwise               
M - Rotate anticlockwise
V - Forward
C - Jump
S D F G - Throw grenade short-long  distances

Could be worse. The big complication there is having four separate keys for throwing grenades various distances - should have just had one key with throwing distance based on release time. Also maybe just have two keys to cycle the camera angle.

I was usually more comfortable with QA/OP layouts, I guess the horizontally arranged controls stemmed from older games often using the 5/6/7/8 keys because they featured the cursor arrows.

Norton Canes

It was only recently that I found out Oliver Frey, who illustrated the covers for CRASH, ZAPP!64 (I always thought they should've just stuck with 'ZAPP!') and LM was better known for his erotic gay artwork. It does explain a few CRASH covers...

With LM, I've no idea what they were thinking hiding his spectacular covers under those achingly hip (not!) plain fronts. I mean look at this gallery - what would you think would shift more copies, that incredible scene featuring McGann, Johnson and McGoohan, or an orange oblong full of ugly black type?

Panbaams

(Mentioned in the other thread about magazines) Did anyone else ever buy New Computer Express? A weekly multiformat thing that had editors or staff writers from other Future magazines contribute columns. Like all multiformats it leaned heavily on the 16-bits, and I bailed when they introduced a (admittedly technically clever, I assume) triple-format (Amiga/ST/PC) cover disc.

Quote from: earl_sleek on May 31, 2019, 01:44:32 PM
Amstrad Action originally, when I was a kid (and consequently a lot of the humour going over my head. It did teach me the word "crap" though, to the great displeasure of my mum, who didn't have the first idea what a "Speccy port" was or why they were so crap). A lot of the other mags mentioned owe a lot to AA, especially as they were the very first Future publication. I definitely saw echoes of their style and humour in N64 and NGC years later. Enjoyed Edge a lot for a good few years after that as well.

Another AA reader!

Glebe

As mentioned in the 'mags you buy on the regular' thread, I believe short-lived horror/sf/fantasy mag Fear was issued by the same publishers as Crash... it featured covers by Crash's resident artist Oliver Frey.