Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:42:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Private Eye cover no. 1497...

Started by seepage, May 29, 2019, 01:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

... is "Theresa May Memorial Issue - The prime minister's legacy in full:" with a blank page below. Trouble is they've added "Er... that's it" at the bottom. I know "Er... that's it" is a recurring PE punchline, but do you think in this case it weakens the joke?

sorry if I should have bunged this in GB instead.

Icehaven

Every time I read ''Er...that's it.'' in PE I hear it in Ian Hislop's voice, which weakens the joke even further. But yes it does weaken the joke.

Gerald Fjord

Funnily enough I saw this today and thought "Surely any student of comedy - anyone who gave the tiniest fuck about actually provoking laughter rather than the cheap satirical "comedy" of "Ho ho I recognise this opinion" - would have seen that "er... that's it" and gone "nah mate, scrap that.

imitationleather

A Private Eye attempt at humour falling completely flat? I for one am shocked.

sponk

If it was completely blank people might've assumed it was a printing error.

Zetetic

"contd. p.94"

would have been an improvement if that was a serious concern.

NoSleep

Quote from: sponk on May 29, 2019, 07:15:17 PM

Who are these people?

Rolf Lundgren

Len Shackleton did it better in 1956.

c

It's quite incredible how much laziness and smuggery is compacted into just those three syllables.

Quite aside from not being funny, PE is responsible for as much bad as it is good, in my opinion. It's absolutely toxic for its encouragement of the naive, thick, sixth former-in-a-bedroom view that politicians are all scumbags who are in it for nothing but glory and kickbacks. You might disagree with politicians, and there's surely plenty of incompetence about, but most are sincerely trying to change things for what they view as the better*, and are operating in an environment of compromise and trade-off, dealing with am unremittingly hostile and cynical media. I wouldn't be an MP even if they paid them properly.

Whenever I read 'The Grauniad' or 'Er, that's it' or any of the others ('Brillo Pad' hahaha) I see it as a signal that I'm in the company of a 14 year old.

*EDIT: Except for Boris Johnson

Danger Man

Quote from: imitationleather on May 29, 2019, 07:14:00 PM

It's like a bear shitting in the woods.....

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: imitationleather on May 29, 2019, 07:14:00 PM

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 29, 2019, 08:47:32 PM
Len Shackleton did it better in 1956.

Exactly what I thought of when I read the thread.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: sponk on May 29, 2019, 07:15:17 PM

Nobody would've assumed that.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: c on May 29, 2019, 10:33:45 PM
It's quite incredible how much laziness and smuggery is compacted into just those three syllables.

Quite aside from not being funny, PE is responsible for as much bad as it is good, in my opinion. It's absolutely toxic for its encouragement of the naive, thick, sixth former-in-a-bedroom view that politicians are all scumbags who are in it for nothing but glory and kickbacks. You might disagree with politicians, and there's surely plenty of incompetence about, but most are sincerely trying to change things for what they view as the better*, and are operating in an environment of compromise and trade-off, dealing with am unremittingly hostile and cynical media. I wouldn't be an MP even if they paid them properly.

Whenever I read 'The Grauniad' or 'Er, that's it' or any of the others ('Brillo Pad' hahaha) I see it as a signal that I'm in the company of a 14 year old.

*EDIT: Except for Boris Johnson

MPs are paid pretty well aren't they? The problem with paying them more is that it makes them even more out of touch with people on ordinary wages. I'd argue that being an MP isn't as hard a job as being a nurse, paramedic, copper or firefighter, yet they get paid a lot less. Being an MP is a hard job but if we paid them more we might just get more people who would do the job for the money.

Private Eye's coverage of select committees, albeit a small part of the magazine, often shows the committee members in a good light. It's hard for a magazine which is part investigative journalism, part satire of varying quality and part criticising people in the media/publishing sectors to show MPs in a good light that much.

NoSleep

I haven't read PE for years now, but when I did I always avoided the humour pages.

Norton Canes

They think it's all ABBA...

...it is now

Ambient Sheep

I've seen it now too.

Works even less well than I'd imagined.